Is the warm weather affecting your airbrush?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

I seem to be having problems with my Iwata BR airbrush it is constantly clogging and causing the paint to splatter. Worked fine in the cooler weather but now the temps have risen paint is forming on the needle tip. I'm using modelair paints which are pre thinned. I've a added acrylic thinners but this seems to make little difference. The airbrush nozzle and needle are soaking in airbrush cleaner with the hope that this will sort the problem out. Don't know if anyone can suggest an alternative thinners for modelair paints as this may help.

Vaughan

R

Richy C

On the AVF vallejo dvd that john sells the guy removes the nozzle bit to airbrush a tank after every spray he cleaned the needle with kitchen roll soaked in vallejo thinners, it worked for him and he would have been working under hot conditions with studio or camera lighting , I`ve experienced this problem a few times myself and use the BR and CR but if you keep the needle tip and nozzle clean you should be fine , as for model air I always add a little thinners , don`t give up on vallejo modelair in my eyes its still the best acrylic stuff on the market.

Hope this has helped , if you go for the removing nozzle option just be really careful with the needle

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Try adding a drop of retarder to your paint cup. There are various brands available from artist's supply stores. I use a brand called Liquitex. Also check that your needle isn't bent (hooked). This will cause paint to collect and dry at the tip.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
What psi have you set it? 15-20 should be fine if, the higher you have your psi the quicker the paint will dry on the tip