Is there an optimum airbrush needle tip size?

F

funkyrimpler

Forgive me newbie ignorance!

Im looking at ordering a couple of back up parts and spares for my airbrush, (a BD132 from memory). I believe that the needle size is 0.3mm and would like a couple of spares. I was also curious about the other sizes and the pros and cons of these. im guessing that the finer needles can accomodate finer painting details (probably far finer than i would require for model making?)

Also, is it necessary to lubricate any parts of my brush, and if so, then how?

cheers lads.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The compromise in spraying hobby paints is between detail and pigment size. Something around 0.3mm works well with most hobby paints,some of which don't have the finest pigments,and will stil allow you to spray a pencil line.

Spraying other media,like inks,it is possible to use finer nozzles. I'm not suggesting that hobby paints can't be sprayed through smaller nozzles,just that it is more difficult to get them to work properly.

As for lubrication I have my own system which I was shown by a graphic artists years ago. It usually provokes howls of derision from the modelling fraternity but it has been working for me for years. I only do it when I feel the trigger getting a bit sticky or when I completely strip and clean an airbrush,which isn't often.

It takes about thirty seconds and you don't have to disassemble anything.

Squirt some WD 40 down the trigger.

Squirt some WD 40 into the cup.

Spray the WD 40 through brush.

Flush once or twice with a paint cup of solvent/thinners.

Done.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have started to use Vallejo's airbrush cleaner, as I use their paints as well, and I must say I was actually quite impressed. Its like I have a new airbrush again. It not only cleans but also lubricates at the same time!!

As for the needle size dilemma, First of all a change of needle size also requires a change of nozzle! so if you buy a new needle size, remember to get the matched nozzle.

0,3 will be fine for most model jobs. I use a 0,25 in one and a 0,3 in an other. Not a lot of difference but I find that some metallics dont like the smaller one, but fly through the other one. So paint wise even a small difference can make a big difference!!!

Ian M

T

tecdes

If I am working on small detail stuff I use a .2 needle nozzle with a good deal like 30% Vallejo thinners to the Vallejo Model Air. For a whole fuselage & wings 1/48 a .4.

Matter of experience paint & so many factors. Vallejo Varnish which I do not thin for instance clogs with my .2 but will airbrush all day with the .4.

Somebody else early this week had a similar querie & there are lots of answers there.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have an H&S Evo with a 0.2 and a .4 needle. I tend to use the .2 almost all the time but I have used the .4 for varnish the same as Laurie. I too use Vallejo but I do not thin them much (Air) in normal use, a drop or two maybe but I do thin more for preshading or fine detail at a low pressure.

M

m1ks

0.3 is a good compromise between coverage ability and detail work, I manage well with a 0.5 for the bulk of my work.

This video may help with airbrush maintenance.

Last edited:
M

m1ks

Been thinking about this and something else occurred.

The brush in the video you see me cleaning is a cheap chinese Iwata clone that came with my mini compressor from ebay, it has a 0.3mm needle / nozzle setup and sprays well, I used to get a smidge of clogging but discovered if I get some very fine wet n dry and burnish the tip, (I do this with replacements too as and when I replace it), then get some metal polish, brasso or similar and clean the tip it behaves much more smoothly and nicely.

An addition to the cleaning routine above, I use a 0.6mm (tesco) interdental brush to clean the emulsion tube between nozzle and paint cup now.

Now, getting to the point, I have as my main brush an Iwata CR which has it's original 0.5mm setup and find that I can paint finer lines and get more accurate flow control than I can with the 0.3mm, this is clearly down to manufacturing quality, (and obviously you're comparing a £12 brush to a £100ish? one)

But worth bearing in mind, it's not just the nozzle / needle size, if you do find you have nozzle clogging try polishing the needle tip in addition to the usual things you'd check and alter, (temp, thinning ratio etc)

Hope that helps.

F

funkyrimpler

ive tried polishing the needle with 2500 grit paper and then another polish with autosol, this has improved the quality of the spraying.

M

m1ks

\ said:
In the post you say 3.5 do you mean chemically? Practically? I'm not sure what you're basing this on

How did you compare the available nozzles? Saying 3.5 is best without any evidence is just adding another opinion to this never ending argument!

See what I did there?

Just sayin! :nahnah:

:smiling3:

Last edited: