Issue 76-The mid wing attachment brackets.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
a9cd41f0.jpg

Before attempting to align up the brackets for the mid wing, attach the front bulkhead loosely in order to obtain the correct spread of the front longerons.

The first problem that becomes apparent is that the width of the spar is greater than the gap between the two brackets,dont worry as there is ample material in this area to carefully pare away to allow the spar to fit snugly against the fuselage frame,work slowly until the wing sits properly on the very top of the upper longeron,once this job is completed we can then address the problem of how to get the brackets to sit snugly not only against the brackets but against the spar,this is where we are once again confronted with a dilemma !

a9e9bf40.jpg

After carefully thinking about the problem I decided the only way was to carefully blend in a shallow lead into the spar,so armed with my trusty Dremel fitted with a milling tool I carefully and slowly got trimming wood in the area aft of the brackets,after a few hours tedious work the job was done,then with the aid of a pair of tweezers I did a dry run on the brackets,it worked ! the brackets slid neatly into place both into the uprights and the pre-drilled holes in the spar,there is not a lot of room to work in the area and its very fiddly but I cannot see any other solution ? I have never seen such a complicated wing fixing method for any model or real aeroplane such as this devised here ! the wings could have been easily attached using simple and more accessible brackets which will be used on model number 2.

aa0a2fa0.jpg

Here is a view of the major surgery undertaken.

aa271d50.jpg

A clearer view outside away from the workbench.

aa42da20.jpg

After fettling with a small file check to make sure that all of the mazak castings will fit snugly into the area allocated for them,dont glue anything into place yet ! we could be in for more surprises (he he...),likewise the lower wing,all that I have done with that is to drill the holes for the brackets and await the fittings that we should receive next week,more gripping building tales straight from the workbench for you anon.

Last edited by a moderator: