Issue 81-The Rudder pedals.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
ISSUE 81-The Rudder Pedals.

Before we start make sure that you have 5 seperate 'unbroken' pieces as shown in the photograph,I say this because 4 of my original pieces were smashed and badly broken,fortunately I have made a set up without the delay of getting more from the two sets I have,Hachette have rightly come in for an awful lot of critism recently regarding the quality of the metal components in this part works,once more the quality of fit is appalling and it has been left to ourselves to sort out the many ongoing problems with this model,this is the first time that I have mentioned this point here preferring to just get on with the job in hand and get the model sorted and built up,however due to the apathy of the publishers I think it is important for builders of the model to make sure they have unbroken parts at least so they can follow these independant add-on instructions to see us through the problems,to this end get your parts now whilst they are available,otherwise when the series is finished in December 2005 there is no guarantee that spares will still be available,having got that out of the way lets get on with the model itself and firstly describe this weeks problems with the parts supplied-

b14eab60.jpg

Here are the five offending parts,if you look at #1 you will note a shoulder at the base of the part,this needs to be filed out to fit the bracket shown here as #4,however when you try to fit this it will not ! as the width of the shoulder is too great and needs attention to fit between the rudder bar #5,only one of the bars marked #2 & #3 above is required this week,try to fit it and it will not go through the hole in the top of #1,well if you are still with me you will be wondering what on earth is going on here !! like many hundreds of model builders throughout the land who are thinking the very same,but help is at hand at least to sort this little lot out,follow the next steps carefully,take your time and we will at least get it assembled-

b16676a0.jpg

First step is to take a rat tail file and file carefully the slot between the two shoulders on the cranked bar,this must fit into the support bracket which goes onto the rudder bar itself,observe the way it fits on the instructions.

b18933d0.jpg

You will also need to carefully take a small amount from the support bracket with a Swiss file,this is to make it fit properly between the rudder bar centre.

b1a8e890.jpg

Here is the assembled rudder bar,complete with bracket,the vertical cranked rod is free to rotate in the bracket.

b1c88620.jpg

Here is the rudder pedals fitted into the slot in the ply base,they pivot about the cranked vertical rod,do not glue anything into place yet in the base !

b1e33be0.jpg

The horizontal piece will not fit into the hole in the top of the vertical rod,it needs quite a bit of attention to get it round ( for some reason it is cast oval ?) and also thinning down to the correct diameter,you can either use a file or a quicker way is to carefully grind the part,but beware being so brittle if it snatches it will break easily,I was very tempted to use a piece of brass rod but wanted to use as much of the original as possible of the original parts.

b203f4a0.jpg

Here the top horizontal bar has been fed through the vertical cranked piece,I have left mine unglued for the time being just in case any adjustments are required,dont ask me what the other bar is for ? I dont have a clue,just put it away for a bit until we get further instructions.

A

adzam

Excellent as ever barry, looks to be coming on a teat !

just one thing though, can i ask who takes teh pics ? or do you balance the camera on your chest and press the button with your nose :tropthy: .

anyway, top stuff barry :respect1:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Excellent as ever barry, looks to be coming on a teat ! just one thing though, can i ask who takes teh pics ? or do you balance the camera on your chest and press the button with your nose :tropthy: .

anyway, top stuff barry :respect1:
*** Actually you are not that far off track Adz ! usually I hold the camera with my right hand trying to take a picture of the particular component,there are times when things can get tricky,note the picture with the hand operated grinding wheel,you will see that it is stationery,I would imagine that a somewhat retound structure or for better words a beer belly would come in handy in tricky camera situations like this,in the early days I used to forget to take pictures during the build,but since we have been doing these tutorials it now comes second nature to have the camera at the ready.It is an interesting question.:cheeseygr