Issue 89-Some more instruments,plus other tasks.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
ISSUE 89-Preparing two instruments.

Issue 89 contains some more instrument parts,these are for the Tachometer which is mounted on a bracket attached to the port side of the fuselage,and the compass which is mounted onto a pedestal.

Even the Red Baron himself could not control a machine whereby the control column strikes the Tachometer ! sadly this is the case with the mounting bracket as supplied,the bracket is just too long and sticks out too far into the cockpit opening to allow full and free movement of the control column,to get round the problem the bracket needs shortening,the best way to do this would be to cut into two and sleeve it with some brass tubing making sure that the control column clears it safely.

On my bracket the vertical pieces were slightly closed in,if yours are the same do not attempt to straighten them,just take a swiss file and work on the area until the tacho will slide into the slots.

The compass is fairly straightforward in assembly and you should not encounter any problems,just make sure that the mating surfaces of the two halves of the compass bracket have been cleaned up with a file so the joint closes properly.

Other tasks this week are to mount the two elevator horns,this again is a straightforward task,then the elevator hinge brackets can be fitted.

The covering instructions continue but judging by the poor results shown in the photographs even the magazine build model has suffered from wrinkles and bumps,personally I would not be happy using the material supplied for this job.

Next week is the white fin/rudder covering material plus two small un-defined brackets.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been looking again at the tacho mounting bracket length problem, and the way it interferes with the control column,for the time being decided to leave the necessary modifications until more cockpit work is undertaken,any necessary mods will be outlined here later.