Italeri 1:48 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
P3901 was flown by Witold Urbanowicz who was one of the outstanding Polish aces of WW2.

During the peak of the Battle of Britain, Urbanowicz commanded the Polish 303rd Kosciuszko Sqn which was the most successful squadron of the Battle destroying 126 enemy aircraft, even though it joined the Battle about two months after it had started.

Witold Urbanowicz survived the war (which also saw him serve against the Japanese) and settled in the USA. He passed away in 1996.

Hurricane P3901 was built to contract 962371/38 by Hawker at Brooklands and delivered in July 1940 to 615 Squadron at Kenley. P3901 became a Battle of Britain veteran when it was transferred to 303 Squadron at Northolt on 2nd August 1940. The Hurricane served with them until the unit converted to Spitfire I's in January 1941.

After a couple of unit transfers, P3901 suffered an accident at Clifton on 25th November 1941. A repair was made on site and returned to 55 OTU on repair were it served until suffering a Cat.E2/FA accident on 28th April1943 when to flew into Manwitch Fell, Croglin, Cumberland.

The Italeri model has a few problems which have been well discussed, but at the end of the day, it turned out OK. It looks like a Hurricane. I don't know if the fuselage is a mm too long or if a row of rivets shouldn't be where they are, that's for others to argue about. I just like the way it looks.

The spinner is the correct one for this model, but I don't like it, so it's only held on by blu-tak. Italeri do provide the alternative 'pointy' spinner which gives the aircraft that classic Hawker look, like I said, it's only held on with blu-tak ! The model has nice surface detail but, and it's a big but, is it worth £25.00 ish ? Well I'm not too sure.

And now, the pictures.

View attachment 48250View attachment 48251View attachment 48252View attachment 48253View attachment 48254View attachment 48255View attachment 48256View attachment 48257View attachment 48258View attachment 48259View attachment 48260

View attachment 51116

View attachment 51117

View attachment 51118

View attachment 51119

View attachment 51120

View attachment 51121

View attachment 51122

View attachment 51123

View attachment 51124

View attachment 51125

View attachment 51126

303Polish.jpg

Above LHS.jpg

Above RHS.jpg

Early morning control tower.jpg

Engine.jpg

Front LHS.jpg

Front RHS.jpg

Landing gear.jpg

Low RHS.jpg

Underside.jpg

RHS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A lovely build Colin with some subtle weathering a well deserved 5*. It's nice that you have included the history of the Hurricane I think it brings a model to life. By the way what is the best way to achieve the flat areas on the tyres.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A mighty fine result Colin. A build to be proud of. A great paint job as well. Five big fat shiny stars worth.

Worth the money? I think so. In fact I would buy another.

Vaughan, The two most used methods are either sand paper, or as I often do Heat the bottom CAREFULLY with a lighter, then gently press the tyre down onto a hard surface. I have also read that some just press them down onto a heated plate....

Ian m

M

mobear

i love your hurri looking a sweet build,i have no idea for flattening tyres,i like them pumped up lol,5*s from me also.On a personal note the pols used their birds so roughly i wouldve weathered it more,like ive seen in pictures,thats just me though

mobear

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking Hurricane Colin, I love these aircraft. If memory serves they were more numerous and knocked down more enemy fighters during the BoB.

A fine tribute to a great plane, 5 well earned stars from me too.

And it's great that you included a potted history of your particular build, gives it life.

Tony.

V

Vajled

great build... really you have done it all around the model

What you think about that kit? Seems to be good?

Cheers

Roman

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great looking Hurricane. I'd be well pleased with,that,25 quid well spent.

You're right about the spinner,it looks like it was designed for a different aircraft....which it was!

Nice history to go with it too,I always like that aspect of modelling.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look.

Vaughan, I normally sand the tyres down just a bit to get the look. However, Italeri provided 'squashed' tyres in the kit.

So you're ok with the price Ian, I'm a little undecided. Just this very day, has arrived this View attachment 48285 At about £15.00 from Wonderland models, the detail easily equals the Italeri Hurricane. Is the fit as good, we'll have to see about that ! Having said that, I was so very tempted to do the Maltese Hurricane, I might have to buy another one anyway. So Roman, I'm tempted to get another, so it must be a decent kit. I suspect that prices might drop in the future.

Ole, nooooooooooo don't say I've under done the weathering. I'm normally the one that goes over the top with weathering, this time I reigned myself in big time in a deliberate attempt to not to over do it - doh ! Right that's it, Ian, I need another one !

Tony you're quite right, Hurricanes did more damage during the BoB than the Spitfires. However, I forget the ratio, but the Hurricanes did out number the Spitfires by quite a bit.

And Steve, the history, well Italeri provide you with quite a nice little book to get you on the way. When I realised that this was one of the 5 versions you can build from the kit, I choose it as a little thank you to all the Polish who thought with us during WW2.

Colin M...

View attachment 51151

A06103-3D.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A wonderful result Colin. Hurricanes destroyed approximately 80 percent of all enemy aircraft downed in the Battle of Britain, including those by anti aircraft fire. A legendary machine for sure.

According to Document-44: RAF Order of Battle September 7th 1940 , there were 31 Hurricane squadrons and 20 Spitfire squadrons on 7th September 1940.

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Joe. Great site you've included there, I'll take sometime looking around that one. Mind you, the half Gladiator squadron is a bit of a concern ! Imagine, being a fresh faced pilot and being given a Gladiator.................good heavens..........

R

RkitectHD

I am just about to start building this model, If i can get the results anywhere near yours then I will be very happy. Great Work!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for having a look.

The price might seem a bit much, but there really is loads of detail just waiting to be high lighted. I built mine with an engine cover off, which I sort of regret as it spoils the smooth lines of the Hurri'

Colin M..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Colin , apologies mate, ive only just seen this one. What a great looking hurricane! Youve done a cracking job , a great build of a classic aircraft. I'm with you on the spinner issue, this one doesnt look as nice as the pointy one. A belated 5 stars matey , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks for having a look. The price might seem a bit much, but there really is loads of detail just waiting to be high lighted. I built mine with an engine cover off, which I sort of regret as it spoils the smooth lines of the Hurri'

Colin M..
And Tamiya bump the price up even more for the pleasure of putting it in a new box....

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
And Tamiya bump the price up even more for the pleasure of putting it in a new box....Ian M
To true Ian, what a nerve, oh but they do chuck a couple of figures in as well !! and Tony, I kept the pointy spinner with all intentions of swapping it - I can't find it now !

Colin M..