Italeri Kfz 305 Opel Blitz with Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
The added details is showing great skills and adding a lot to this build.
Scottie

First Name
Wouter
I agree with the chaps, Steve, nice upgrades again, and you can't go wrong with a metal barrel ^^

Cheers

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Si - Cheers mate:thumb2:
Jim - Another load of detail for you today as well. Thanks for the support
Guy - I prefer Aber ones but they are more expensive. RB are always reliable
Scottie - Cheers mate. Loads more to come
Wouter - Glad you like it mate. Need to see some more of your work on here:thumb2:

Not much progress today as far as moving forward just loads more detailing. Firstly a catch for the magazines was added

IMG_0006.JPG

Then the chains were added. There were two sizes on the reference photos. A small bracket and pin was made for the top gold chain

IMG_0007.JPG

Attention was drawn to the bottom of the panel. The handle was in the upright position for travelling so this had to be taken off and put in the "using" position. The two handles were also replaced for effect. This was the last of the detailing for this panel

IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0010.JPG

I then started on the other panel by taking out the plastic section at the top on the shield support bar. I also started taking out the solid section on the bottom left until I realised this was an earlier version and could be left. So I filled in the knife marks and just gouged out a channel for the ratchet mechanism to go up and down in.

IMG_0011.JPG

The handle and panel on the side is heavily patterned on the reference photos but blank on the kit. I represented the pattern with mosaic pieces of plasticard. Although not exact it does give the impression of the patter-nation

IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0014.JPG

The foot rest lacked detail so I added two foot rests and a small piece of PE from the spares draw on the foot pedal

IMG_0015.JPG

As with the other side I replaced the handles. Just need to do the chains and add some more detailing and then I can move onto Section 2

IMG_0018.JPG

Have a great B/H Monday

Steve

D

Deleted member 6559

Insane is right Wouter! It makes me chuckle with glee - so wonderful to see such an extreme level of detailing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
20mm-002_01-08-2011.jpg 20mm-003_22-07-2011.JPG
Steve - In case you want to make some loose rounds this is a cad drawing I knocked up from my 20mm round
magazines need a strip across the bottom and down outer edge

and what's this about no pewter :tired:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Wouter - Totally insane!! Just cant help myself at the moment:smiling3:
Peter- Glad you are chuckling because I'm crying with insanity:smiling5:
Mick - Cheers mate. What are you working on at the moment??
Simon - Thank you ever so much. There wont be any live rounds but plenty of shell casings so your info will be invaluable. Great pictures of the mags and I have added detail accordingly. Many thanks. As for the pewter v foil I only use foil now as it is thinner than my sheet of pewter which is 0.15mm. Could I get a thinner sheet?

As the Master of the Darkside took the trouble of showing the magazine banding it would have been amiss of me not to include it. I used foil strips and 0.4mm rivets to add detail

IMG_0021.JPG

With the chains added, along with some more minute detailing parts I called the other side done

IMG_0022.JPG

So finally it was onto Section 2.

IMG_0023.JPG

The plain front box was the first thing to be added to the base. I added a couple of clasps and some rivets for detailing as per the reference photos

IMG_0024.JPG

Next was the nightmare of joining the two halves together which was a pain. However once done it was time to decide on the angle of the barrel. You can have it working loosely but I wanted it stuck in place. I then checked it on the back of the truck and I was happy with the angle

IMG_0025.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0031.JPG

Thanks for watching and all your help and advice

Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
See I told you " HE " would not be amused.
Looks to me you have had bionic eyes fitted at Specsavers. The detailing is amazing.

JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Astounding work. Just had a full catch-up. Learned a lot. Thanks. PaulE

First Name
Wouter
Do you hear that Steve? The ambulance which will take you to the nuthouse is getting nearby :smiling5:

Very very cool work chap!

Cheers

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

JR - Your not wrong there mate:smiling2: I have used some this week to keep me in his good books:smiling5:
Paul - Kind of you to say. Glad you liked it
Wouter - :smiling5: They have a standard padded room reserved already for me!

Well it seems to be the norm at the moment - minimal bench time.:disappointed:
I moved onto the seat. This was the kit offering

IMG_0032.JPG

The back rest was rather chunky and straight. So I made one from pewter(just for you Mr T:smiling4:) and started work on the seat adjuster handle

IMG_0034.JPG

Next I added on the padding using Milliputt. As soon as I took this picture I put my thumb right on it and had to start again:crying:. Also the seat adjuster handle has been taken off as its crap. I may have another rethink (all suggestions welcome) or just leave it off

IMG_0035.JPG

Next we move onto Section 3 - the shields!!

IMG_0037.JPG

Well this is the main challenge for me on this build. I created a base using plasticard. This was then bent in the relevant position and the detail of ring holes. rivets and feeder hole was added

IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPG

Well that's all I have managed to do all week. Will try harder next week

Thanks for looking in

Steve

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Steve,

It’s that time of year when ‘other stuff’ keeps us from the bench...think we all feel it so don’t be too hard on yourself!
I always say....progress is progress:smiling4:

I just popped over to prime portal to look at the seat to see what your aiming for....hmmm not sure how I would tackle that? Probably have a go at scratching new one completely....suppose it depends how far you want to go I’m sure you amaze us with something in a while :thumb2:

Keep it rolling
Si

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Aye up Steve,

the later version (with the embossed hand wheels rather than plain) only had plain steel seat back and base, no cushions as far as I know - some photos below of one I saw at Beltring years ago

The seat adjuster is easy - that is a square with a depression filed into each side using a round or half round file

Ah, pewter ❤️

Did they give you dimensions for where to add the replacement barrel ? Looks a little long to me.....

DSCN0603.JPG

DSCN0605.JPG

DSCN0599.JPG

I have more pictures if you need them

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Si - Your not wrong there mate. I did consider scratching the seat but decided to update the Tamiya one instead. Thanks for the the encouragement
Mr T - As with all things there are variants. There are two types of seats. The one you have highlighted with one support bar for the back rest and this one which has two support bars both of which can be found on the embossed or plain hand wheels version.

4185819.JPG
(For information purposes only)

I have seen three types of seats. Ones made from wood, metal and the padded version. This was the one I was trying to replicate

20mm_flak_38_36_of_36.jpg

As you can see it has a nobbly seat adjuster as opposed to the sunken one on your photos. I will certainly try your version which I have on my other reference photos

flak38_20mm_10.jpg

As for the replacement barrel you are probably right. Looks like I have not cut the Tamiya barrel far enough back. I will look at PMMS site and get back to you. Many thanks

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Steve,
I guess it is a case of the usual blurred lines between early and late with umpteen variations in between :rolling::smiling4:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Steve, it's maybe not that much you did in a week, but it's something fun to follow and look at. And look at the bright side: it's more than I did in a week LOL

Keep it up!

Cheers

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Steve,

I saw that version on the prime portal site too...but don’t forget the DAK had a completely unique seat....

E35764C5-3FEC-47DF-B371-0C0883DE2397.jpeg

Some even had a beer holder:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:...

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see loads of banter.
Morning all , Steve I had to chuckle about putting your thumb in the seat back and having to start again . Not at your mistake but imagining the out burst of Anglo Saxon swear words. I'm sure it happens to us all.

Certainly a busy time doing other things , but looking at what you acheived it's very neat . You could always copy your leader and wake up at some ungodly hr and have some extra bench time .

Nice seat Si :thumb2:
JR