It's a 109 but I don't know which!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This last week and bank holiday I've started the Trumpeter 1/32 Bf109G. I intend to replace the G that got destroyed by a young relative recently. I think the youngster has a promising future as a rock climber ahead as she showed some considerable climbing skill and enterprise to reach the model!

So far I've built the cockpit and engine,stuck the cannon through the engine and joined the two sub-assemblies together. Leaving potential accuracy issues aside this seems like a nice kit and goes together very well......so far.

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to mark it. I shall cogitate whilst building.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OK heres a curve ball for you steve, i know you like the german stuff ( just a little something ive picked up on, im very intuitive! LOL!!!!!!) but how about a post war finnish night fighter 109g? or maybe one of the romanian ones, i appreciate that youll have to buy the decal sets but its something a bit different. Alternatively if you want to go the german route, maybe one of hermann grafs ? hope this has given you a bit of food for thought , cheers tony Buy Eagle Strike ESP32039 1:32 scale from Hannants. We sell Aircraft decals (military), models, decals, paints & books.

First Name
Dave
I agree with Tony .That Finnish scheme would make a different and interesting model.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Food for thought there chaps. This version is too early for one of the Finnish ones of the top of my head but I will check.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Was looking at this the other day Hellenic modellers official website / HEL.MO. - 1/48 Hasegawa Bf 109G-2 trop (OOB) by Alex KontiveisAs for the one that the mountaineer got to how about German Air Force - Bf-109G belonging to II./JG 27Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think if I painted the legs of the one that got broken I've already got the second option! Okay it's a G-6 not a G-14AS as in the photo but I think I'd get away with it.

:smile8:

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well I'm sure it will be brilliant. But, how many 109's have you got now, enough for a Jagdgeschwader (I really hope this is correct, I used Google translator - god knows what I've just typed)

Colin M........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spot on Colin,Jagdgeschwader (fighter wing) which can thankfully be abbreviated to JG. I haven't quite got that many but I'm working on it.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't given up on this onebut progress is slow as I haven't been able to get much time in.

I'm still a long way from having to decide how it will be finished.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got enough done to dry fit the fuselage halves. Nice fit but this is also where you hide all that internal detail! Why did I slave over the photoetch straps on the rudder pedals?

Oh well.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Because we know you would not have it any other way. Also because you know it's there!

I must say that it looks very good. That harness looks the dogs danglies. is it shop bought or home knit?

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ian,The harness is from the kit. You get a couple of frets of photoetch which is nice. I use RB productions paper and etch harnesses when I need an aftermarket harness. They look great but take a while and some patience to assemble. This one was much easier,four pre-made parts.

The kit,annoyingly,also has rubber tyres. They are in the freezer as I type,hardening up so that I can sand off the mold lines!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I thought I'd revive this thread as,back from China,I've had a chance to make some progress.

I've finished off the cockpit interior and knocked the gunsight off. I'll replace it later. I've also built the tailplane,dropping the elevators,and loosely fixed the engine cowlings. I'll be able to remove them to pose them open if I choose to do so later.

All the control flaps,ailerons and radiator flaps have been cleaned up and painted where required so I'll be able to finish the wings tomorrow. At that point I'll have to choose which aircraft I'm going to build from my reference photos as these parts can be posed in a myriad of positions! I'm leaning towards a very well known aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi steve, nice to see this ones still going strong. Hope you had a nice time in china (even though it was work!). Any more clues whose aircraft its going to be? cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Tony,I'm leaning towards one flown by arguably the best known Luftwaffe pilot of all. One of Hartmann's early Gs.

I'm basing it on this photo. Here's a thing,the camouflage visible on the top of the port wing does not follow the standard pattern! All the instructions and every profile/plan I've seen for this aircraft have missed this.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to have you back safe and sound Steve.

Something else I've noticed on this photo....The fuselage colour band forward of the stabilizer doesn't go right over and around, but oddly ends at the 'Snake'. Sorry I forget what this signifies. Was this a common practice?

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ron the wavy line (I can't remember the german word for it) signifies III Gruppe. It is yellow because this is the Staffel colour,in this case 9 Staffel. Normally a yellow marking on a yellow tactical marking (like the yellow fuselage band) would be given a border to make it visible. I don't know why Hartmann's aircraft has no upper half to the band,it wasn't common practice,infact it is contrary to regulations but then JG 52 were a long way from Berlin at this time,the autumn of 1943.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't given up on this. I've finally got it into primer and may make a start on the final painting tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Underside is now done. Usual inept photography doesn't show the shading very well! It's going to be a Hartmann plane.

Upper surface camouflage tomorrow. It's a not quite standard 75/76 scheme and I'm not at all sure about the starboard wing,it may be an educated guess.

It's amazing how few photos were taken from the starboard side,nearly as amazing as how often some oik stands infront of some vital identifying feature or number:smiling3:

Cheers

Steve