Preparation for spraying the gull grey interior colour. Weights added to the forward fuselage and one in the nose cone. Instructions ask for 20g. Hasegawa asked for 10g, Revell 10g, so I gave it 14g.
Italeri opted for the horizontal split of the fuselage. As you will see they failed and much realignment and filling will be required. The rear matches nicely. And then you get to the wing root area, forward of which is out of whack. Fun times ahead. On the positive side the large fin fits nicely on a dry run and shouldn't pose too many problems.
The fin. I removed the ILS aerial marks which were there for the GR1 option and aren't required for the Italian IDS.
The interior and instrument panels sprayed gull grey. No decal options for the interior, it's going to be hand painted with ye olde hairy stick.
Tail fin small intake drilled out and dry fitted again:
Not much progress of note, but I had a play with the wings and tailplane. The mechanism for swinging the wings is simple and effective, and the same goes for the tailplane. This is all dry fitted so I can see what work I can do to clean the horrid fuselage joins up.
I will be fixing the wings swept fully aft and the elevators in a neutral position. This hides the ugly wing gap behind the roots, and avoids the wing stores pylons from having issues. Fully loaded per Rick's instructions.
Good start Joe.
Italeri's choice of fuselage split seems a fairly straight forward one. Although there are gaps at least they're fairly easy to get to. The stabilisers section look the trickiest to sand around but I think, because they move, it shouldn't prove to taxing.
No pics again, but this one is all filled, sanded and ready for the final cockpit pieces to go in. The wings and tail planes went on no problem, and are now fixed in place in the swept position. Lots of sink marks and filling of gaps has been conducted. Will update with pics when I get a chance...