Johnson's Klear

First Name
Aaron
Lol yep damn evilbay. Im sure it sells well. I am awaiting a pm on another site where a modeller friend said he has heaps...im waiting to find out if "heaps" means bottles or mills. If it IS bottles i will hook you up Flyjoe.

First Name
Aaron
Ok Its Bottle he has a bottle for sale and hes decided to "auction" it to us, So i put in an offer of $25. In my opinion thats cheap.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks aaron, PM if you get more than one bottle and I'll sort something out with you. Cheers for your help mate!

P

phalinmegob

whats 25 dollars equate to in english money, might start exporting the stuff.i am sure i only paid about £3.50

P

phalinmegob

Future is a water-soluble acrylic floor coating that was developed by S. C. Johnson Company in Racine, Wisconsin for linoleum flooring. In the Netherlands it is known as "Pronto Wax for wooden floors" with a brown cap or "Parket Plus". In the United Kingdom and New Zealand it is known as "Klear", "Krystal Klear" or "Johnson's One and All". During the 3rd quarter of 2008 the product "Klear" was discontinued, more on that in a moment. Pascoe's "long life self shining floor polish" is now marketed under the brand name "Holdfast" in New Zealand. It has a milky appearance in the bottle and a more powerful ammonia smell than Klear.

just grabbed the above from here The Complete Future

First Name
Aaron
Ah yes Good old swanny

Andrew i believe NZ $25 to be approx GBP 13

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I have seen that article before, half the products it mentions are just as hard to locate as the original stuff. Today 1 GBP is equivalent to $1.94 NZD.

P

phalinmegob

on a side note, i have been using this stuff for canopies for a while but on my last two builds i decided to use it as a varnish in between weathering stages and such like. i have had nothing but problems,tamiya tape peeling the paint off which was on top of klear, decals with the worst case of silvering i have ever witnessed. its never happened to me before until i tried klear so, it may well of been something i did because countless other people use it but i will stick to my revell aqua varnish from now on.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A few comments have been made lately about klear causing problems with decals and peeling. I haven't used it in anger yet. I take it a gloss coat from one of the mainstream model companies would achieve the desired surface for decal application and weathering? It's all getting rather confusing!

First Name
Aaron
Yes a gloss coat from one of the mainstream companies does achieve the desired surface for decals and weathering.

Andrew dont you want the rest of your bottle? lol.

A sealing coat over decals works a treat. No idea why yours silvered.

P

phalinmegob

i have not been at this game that long but from what i can gather (and i am sure others here will have a more definative answer) klear was basically used as a gloss varnish originally because it was so cheap ,couple of quid for a sized bottles that would last for years. over a few years it seems to of turned itself into almost a god like status and as you see selling for silly prices on the likes of e-bay. of course a gloss coat from a model company is perfect for decalling and weathering as that is what they are designed for where as klear was designed for polishing your floors with a usefull side use as a model varnish but it not the be all and end all of varnishes...some one else come along and explain it better han i can please

P

phalinmegob

\ said:
Yes a gloss coat from one of the mainstream companies does achieve the desired surface for decals and weathering.Andrew dont you want the rest of your bottle? lol.

A sealing coat over decals works a treat. No idea why yours silvered.
aaron, i can buy it by the trolley load here from our local tesco supermarket lol.hate to think how much it would cost to send one to new zealand though,but if your really desperate i will look into it for you.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the information and advice guys. It's been years since I painted and finished a model, never used to worry about gloss coats back in those days.

First Name
Aaron
Andrew please do...One question does your bottle smell like apples or foul?

First Name
Aaron
Andrew i scored an entire bottle of the old formula locally, So dont put yourself out checking on the postage from your fair isles.

I appreciate the offer tho mate outstanding.

Patrick i see it as an investment saving on gloss and set-sol sets. Did i mention its a whole bottle. Im well chuffed.

A

AVB99

Finally!

I know that most of you chaps are into military vehicles and so may not be too interested in Model T Ford Cars...... I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice you have given me over the months as I attempted to achieve an acceptaple gloss finish. Well finally I have done it although at times I lost the will to live!!! The penultimate solution was to try Vallejo primer which I've always liked, with Vallejo black gloss paint followed by Vallejo varnish. This was appalling!!!! I finally tried an aerosol Revell primer - this came out too thick but was ok. Then I followed with airbrushed Revell 07 gloss black and this looked good. Having given up on KLEAR and rejecting Vallejo gloss, what to do? I was in the Margate Hornby Place at the weekend ang bought an aerosol can of Humbrol clear gloss. The effect was amazing. A brilliant gloss. In truth the gloss is too glossy for the scale but at least I have a finish that is aceptable to me. Now I can go ahead and complete the build which should not take too long now the painting is sorted. Thanks again to all who shared their experience.

Aidan

M

mobear

hey peeps i bought this stuff from b&q as i have never tried doing this polish before and it gives a nice sheen takes 15 to 20 minutes to dry and it doesnt smell and no strange marks on the paint either View attachment 44247only £2.98 for 500ml

mobear

View attachment 47444

floor polish.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It certainly does! Tell us ,Ole , is it colourless? , it looks as if it is in the pic. cheers tony