Just joined - Critique/Help needed

D

Donnie

Hello, this is my first post and I am relatively new to the hobby having started earlier this year. The figures are 1/35 but I struggle to get delicate real detail on uniforms, i.e collar stripes, belts..

Also attached is a picture of a cockpit instrument panel I was pleased with until I seen some pro stuff (also attached) and it completely burst my bubble. I don't even know how it is possible to get that insane level of detail.

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_174642.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174642.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180902_174745.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174745.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180902_174802.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174802.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180902_174955.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174955.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20180804_223914.jpg
    IMG_20180804_223914.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180811_155822.jpg
    IMG_20180811_155822.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 67
  • gal03.jpg
    gal03.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 60

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Donald,
Firstly welcome to the forum. Don't beat your self up over your figures they are probably the hardest thing to do. I have modelled for years and I still struggle with them. As to fine details again it's practice and getting the paint to the right consistency. You do not say what paint you are using but I would say from the pictures you are using enamels. As to the instrument panel if you make the paint just thin enough it will flow from the tip of the brush into the pocket formed by the dial. when this is dry a good technique is to dry brush. This is done by using a flat soft brush putting a slightly lighter colour than the base colour put some paint on the bristles then using clean tissue or and old towel remove nearly all the paint then brush in straight lines over the raised detail this will just lift the details. this can be repeated until you get the finish you want to achieve.
The details on the uniforms can be achieved by using decals there are a number of manufacturers that supply them. I hope this was of some help but there are more knowledgeable people on here than me especially when it comes to figures. So practice and don't be put off.
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Donnie
Welcome to the forum
I agree totally with Scottie. Figures are really hard but you will improve with time. Having said that yours aren't bad at all. As to the cockpit - your last picture is probably large scale 1/48 or 1/32 and the instrument panel is printed photo etch, not painted.
Jim

D

Donnie

Thanks Gents, handy advice and I appreciate the time. Onwards to the next project.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Donnie
Welcome to the forum
I agree totally with Scottie. Figures are really hard but you will improve with time. Having said that yours aren't bad at all. As to the cockpit - your last picture is probably large scale 1/48 or 1/32 and the instrument panel is printed photo etch, not painted.
Jim

Or possibly decals .....

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Donald, figures in 1/35 scale are sent right from Hell IMO.
But one must conquer them if doing 1/35 scale dios.

I tend to take them with a grain of salt as a necessary evil.
I've struggled with them for decades and decided the only real way to portray them is not to get too bogged down in facial and uniform detail.

I like to get the "shadow effect" going with them, dry brushing and gradual shading are the key ( as per Paul).
Multiple pin washing and dry brushing will create multiple layering, since I use only the cheapest water base craft paints I'm sure it can be done with just about ant type of paint.

100_7063 (8).JPG100_7842 (5).JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Donnie
Figures look fine. Everyone has to start somewhere....and these are far better than my first efforts...
Advice I would give is not to try and add all the details you see on other people’s figures until you are ready and able to, and to pay attention to paint consistency.
The other worthwhile tip is to buy a couple of really good brushes and only use them for fine work. Good brushes along with properly thinned paint are the keys to painting fine detail reliably.
As to the cockpit, yours looks like it is a much smaller scale. The detailed one looks to be 1/32. You are comparing apples with oranges if they are. The 1/32 also has aftermarket add ins that can enhance detail. Again, don’t try to add everything you see on other builds until you feel comfortable with your skills. Lastly, the camera is a really cruel way to judge any build, all small flaws are magnified, and in the case of the cockpit, the majority of what you see will be hidden anyway.
Just enjoy yourself and don’t be over critical, skills come with time, nobody is born able to do this stuff...
By the way, welcome to the forum,
cheers
Tim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Donnie, firstly welcome to the forum.
Don't beat yourself up, skills come in time with lots and lots of practice.
Your figures look a lot better than my first ones, the fig painters have given you great tips already and there are more here just as helpful.:thumb2:

Painting instruments even with a 10/0 or smaller is a true challenge, like Tim said the other office is larger and has all sorts of AM stuff in it.
Just have fun building and painting your selected subject, in time you'll get better and better.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Donnie.
Welcome. Don't worry about the figures, as the guys have said they are not bad. Know what you mean about having the bubble burst when you see some of the skilled painters on here.
Keep at it, plenty of help on here if you need it. ( not from me I might add :smiling2: I'm in the trying harder crowd.
John.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Donnie

As others have said - good quality qualitybrushes are a must.

There are some good videos on the Web which may be useful and worth checking out to get some hints and tips, but don't beat yourself up if you cannot match their results, you do not know how long they have been painting, nor how much time they can spend painting.

Most of all remember the most important thing is to have fun!!

Peter

T

tucoe

Hi Donnie
You've made a great start, keep at it, take on board the tips and tricks that you'll pick up on here. Before you know you'll have a smile on your face, when you try a new idea or skill and it works.

Remember as long as you're happy with the results that's all that matters!

Mark

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi donnie first of all welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.
i cant paint figures to save my life (and ive been back in modeling for 5 yrs now) when ive got time im a fairly prolific modeler i would have upto 10 on the go at once.
i was always hard on myself and would pic faults out on my stuff that, as was explained to me numerous times only i could see.
As has been said, and ive finally learned just enjoy it, its a hobby and hobbys are supposed to be fun.
Dont worry if its not upto others standards, set your own, your skills will improve as you go, just have FUN.

D

Donnie

I must say a huge thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome and your warm kind words.
I am feeling a lot better about my work and am now excited to start my next build which will be partaking in the Group Build theme for this period - Military Vehicle.
The vehicle I will be attempting is the HORCH Type 1A in 1/35.

First impression this is a truly friendly forum, and I hope and believe will be a valuable resource.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Donnie,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. It's a very friendly place, with a bit of leg pulling in jest.

I've only been modelling for around 20 months, and the best advice I can give you is rather than compare your work to others, compare your work to your own past work. What I mean is, try to improve on each piece you build, look back at previous builds and see what you can do better. This way you will know you are getting better (and trust me you will) without driving yourself mad by comparing to work by a lot more experienced modellers.

The other thing I've learned is enjoy it, it's a hobby and its supposed to be fun. Don't beat yourself up. :smiling3:

Cheers,

Bob

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Donnie,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. It's a very friendly place, with a bit of leg pulling in jest.

I've only been modelling for around 20 months, and the best advice I can give you is rather than compare your work to others, compare your work to your own past work. What I mean is, try to improve on each piece you build, look back at previous builds and see what you can do better. This way you will know you are getting better (and trust me you will) without driving yourself mad by comparing to work by a lot more experienced modellers.

The other thing I've learned is enjoy it, it's a hobby and its supposed to be fun. Don't beat yourself up. :smiling3:

Cheers,

Bob
Wise words

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agreed Scottie, that’s what I should have written.......the only competition that matters in this game is the one against yourself....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the only competition that matters in this game is the one against yourself....
+1 — it’s a hobby that you do for your own enjoyment (probably, anyway) so you don’t need to please anyone except yourself with what you produce. Sure, it’s nice if other people appreciate your work, but comparing yourself to what everyone else makes is fairly likely to leave you feeling your efforts aren’t good enough, which is nonsense for the reason I already mentioned.

That’s not to say you can’t try to improve your skills, but do it because you want to, not because you feel you need to measure up to others.

T

tucoe

Agree with the boys totally on this it's only recentely i've had the confidence to post my work. Nothing to do with the forum they are very supportive, but watching the improvements i've made (against my earlier models) has given me that little boost to show.

The measure is you against yourself!

Mark