Just want some thoughts on this

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's major Adolf Gallands face I've painted in 1/48 scale it's the first time I've done detail on a face this small View attachment 82266

Good or bad folks

image.jpg

First Name
john
Uniform looks spot on Alan but the picture is so small on the face can't really see it need a closer shot

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I can't get a closer shot on the face it's too small but thanks for the colour confirmation I had to mix that colour so I'm pleased I got that correct

Cheers john :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
At that scale just some highlights (shadow) for eyes would probably suffice but it looks okay to me.

Si:smiling3:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'm with Si on this one Alan, highlights will enhance his features, definitely needed on small scale but everything else looks great mate ;)

Lee :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers chaps I can stick him together now and plonk him by his plane :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Adolf Galland had quite deep sunken eyes and due to that between the eyebrows and the top of the eyes was in shadow. It gave him like it or not a sinister determined look. His cheeks also were quite bulbous which gives a shadow under the cheeks.

Just got to check but a member, sorry forgotten his name, thought that you should not have the eyes looking directly forward as it did not look authentic.

Laurie

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Adolf Galland had quite deep sunken eyes and due to that between the eyebrows and the top of the eyes was in shadow. It gave him like it or not a sinister determined look. His cheeks also were quite bulbous which gives a shadow under the cheeks.Just got to check but a member, sorry forgotten his name, thought that you should not have the eyes looking directly forward as it did not look authentic.

Laurie
I read that somewhere on here too Laurie. I think it makes them look like they have sat on a red hot poker or just one heck of a stare. Alan After the white I do the iris then get my good magnifier out and try to make the flesh tone take out some of the iris colour. it is easier said than done tough. It makes the iris less rounded.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers terry looks like I'll just have to keep practicing :D

Thanks for all the advice folks I appreciate it :smiling3: :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A slightly different take on this Alan....I'm a firm believer in hardly any detail to eyes, in 1/48 and smaller.

So many times I've seen the retinas sticking out like organ stops.. Stand well back and look in a mirror. How much eye detail can be seen? Next to now't!

So to take a small scale model figure, the detail is even less. I reckon just a hint of colour in the eye socket is enough. People tend to squint most of the time anyway!

I once had the audacity to suggest this elsewhere, and was publicly really ripped to bits by an 'Expert', so be gentle, it's only my humble opinion......

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
No problem Ron your right of course and I've noticed just how some people can take this hobby so seriously lol

Anyway I've put the little fella next to his plane and he looks ok I think I'll post some pics of the display :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I once had the audacity to suggest this elsewhere, and was publicly really ripped to bits by an 'Expert', so be gentle, it's only my humble opinion......
Experts...pah! If we all where that good we wouldn't need forums like this. If it works for you then pass it on, a more detailed look may work for others. On larger figures I was told to make the white of the eye more a grey so it doesn't stand out.

Last edited by a moderator:

0ne48thtel

\ said:
A slightly different take on this Alan....I'm a firm believer in hardly any detail to eyes, in 1/48 and smaller.So many times I've seen the retinas sticking out like organ stops.. Stand well back and look in a mirror. How much eye detail can be seen? Next to now't!

So to take a small scale model figure, the detail is even less. I reckon just a hint of colour in the eye socket is enough. People tend to squint most of the time anyway!

Ron
I squint mostly when trying to paint the little beggers.

L

Laurie

I agree Ron I have found that eyes are the most difficult. But Paul did a very good explanation of this with some pictures.

One of the problems is that when we look at a person where do we look not the nose or mouth we all look at the eyes. So we know what to expect except we do not know how to portray them.

If you look at the icon pictures we display, mostly, one thing is noticeable. The eye sockets are in shadow and after Paul's help you can see how true this is. You still need eye colour as it looks unreal without them but a subdued colour in the shadow.

Also look at those shadows from the nose down to the outside of the lips.

There are exceptions to this. If you have a big nose then you cannot hide that. Also if you have big lips. Just off to the bathroom there is a big mirror !!!!!!!

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
sorry i have come in very later on this one, silly time difference,

i think you have done a good job with him faces and eyes gggrrrr :confused: the hardest part,

i always use a off white or aged white or even a very lite gray for the eyes and then try to place a very small,dot towords the top off the eye,

theirs alot off good advice hear which is of help to alot off use, and easy to say but hard to do i find,:rolleyes:

L

Laurie

\ said:
I squint mostly when trying to paint the little beggers.
Yes but Terry. What are they thinking. Ok men what are we going to get from this joker. Blue or brown eyes, a squint !, a wobbly big nose, bright red lipstick and bags under the eyes as big as footballs.

You see Terry you have not thought this through.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Blue or brown eyes, a squint !, a wobbly big nose, bright red lipstick and bags under the eyes as big as footballs.
Jeez...sounds like me!

L

Laurie

Oh I see Si. What shade of red lipstick. Do you use the gloss with the black liner or are you a traditionalist.

Any chance of a photo.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looker ain't I?

Si...I jest of course...or do I?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter