Karl's and Andrew's WW II Soviet wingy thing GB - any takers?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dear all

Quite how this idea came about and whose idea it was is still a matter of debate! I will admit I did say hereHave we had a Russian plane GB......” but that is not the same as saying I would do one…..but I’ll get over it! :smiling5:

@KarlW, who seemingly put me in the frame for it here, has kindly agreed to be the joint sponsor of the GB. I’ve never run or even suggested a GB and so need all the help I can get, hence me asking Karl to join me.

The ‘rules’ for the proposed GB are below and we have tried to think of all eventualities but obviously we may have missed something and so are open to any sensible suggestions or questions.

Is anyone interested? We may already have three other participants, no pressure at all @yak face , @papa 695 and @The Smythe Meister !!!

All the best.

Andrew and Karl

Mods (Ian and Al) - thanks for your input! I did read Ian's guide on GBs, so hopefully it meets the requirements.

-----------------------------------------------------

Proposed GB rules

GB period

1st October to 31st December 2023, so as to avoid Andy’s Japanese plane GB.

Historical timeframe

From the outbreak of World War II on 1st September until its end i.e. Japanese unconditional surrender. This allows us to capture Russia’s invasion of Poland and the Russo-Finnish Winter War** too, as well as the obvious 1941-1945 period. It does though exclude the pre-existing Russo-Japan conflicts i.e. Khalkin Gol.

**Not sure if that’s technically part of WW II but it’s in the right period.

Scale

Any scale up to an including 1:1 ;)

Presentation

Standalone models (with or without pilots and/or bases), small vignettes or even full blown dioramas are allowed (if you think you can pull it off in three months). Although in the case of dioramas the plane must obviously be the focus.

Plane/kit options

This was harder than I (Andrew) thought it would be but then I do have a habit over thinking things……I blame the mindset I need for my job :sad-face::sad-face: :
  • All Soviet designed and built planes that saw active frontline service during the war e.g. Yaks, LaGGs, PE-3s, IL-2s, Tupolevs etc.
  • Also, any Lend-Lease aircraft that saw active frontline service with the Soviet air force during the war e.g. P-39 Airacobra, P40s, A20 Havocs etc.

So what do we mean by “active frontline service”? Whilst this is open to debate, we’re suggesting anything that saw active service in frontline duties in ‘reasonable’ numbers***.

So in the case of Soviet planes, only those in full scale production; no protypes allowed. However, planes sent to squadrons in relatively large numbers for large scale evaluation are in as they would have seen a fair amount of combat e.g. LaGG-1s (c. 100 apparently).

In the case of Lend Lease aircraft this would exclude single planes or small numbers of a type sent only for testing/evaluation purposes e.g. as we did with a Mossie. All Lend Lease aircraft will obviously need to carry the relevant Soviet markings where appropriate.

***As we said this was not easy to define but try to think about the spirit of what we’re aiming for. This list might give you an idea of what they used but obviously check the facts for the for ‘unusual’ options, it is Wikipedia after all .……………

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ho yus. That'll give me an 'excuse' to finish that MiG-3...
Oh, and the Winter War? DEFINITELY part of WW2, but saying 'outbreak' of WW2 is less easy to define... Khalkin Gol anyone?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It may have been said before, but the closest GB subject that comes to mind was a Mig-21 GB several years ago. That’s significant because I managed to complete a GB within the time limit.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
It may have been said before, but the closest GB subject that comes to mind was a Mig-21 GB several years ago. That’s significant because I managed to complete a GB within the time limit.
Plenty of small planes with spinny bits out the front for this one so a good chance you'll finish this one too.
I usually play GBs safe with a smaller subject, but for this I shall be a bit more daring.
peschka(5)_z1.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
. Khalkin Gol anyone?
Soviet-Japanese Border Wars that had been running since 1932, a ceasefire agreement was reached on the 15th of September ending those conflicts. Russia maintained nuetrality in the pacific, and signed the Soviet-Japanese Nuetrality Pact in 1941, and didn't declare war on Japan again until 8th August 1945, nearly six full years of non-aggression in that area. Historians do warn againt confusing this with the former border conflicts.

But the invasion of Poland is the spark that got Britain and France to declare war and start WW2 we decided that would be our starting point. Russia didn't join in until the 17th September, 2 days after the end of the border wars with Japan.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ho yus. That'll give me an 'excuse' to finish that MiG-3...
Oh, and the Winter War? DEFINITELY part of WW2, but saying 'outbreak' of WW2 is less easy to define... Khalkin Gol anyone?

Hi Chris

I'll refer you to my esteemed colleagues answer above....he beat me to it! Would be good to have you along!!!!

Hi Rick

That one wasn't mentioned but Tony @yak face did flag up an 'all plane' Soviet GB from 2015. I managed to complete two GB's since joining and this would be my third! Would be good to see you join.

Plenty of small planes with spinny bits out the front for this one so a good chance you'll finish this one too.
I usually play GBs safe with a smaller subject, but for this I shall be a bit more daring.
View attachment 479114

Soviet-Japanese Border Wars that had been running since 1932, a ceasefire agreement was reached on the 15th of September ending those conflicts. Russia maintained nuetrality in the pacific, and signed the Soviet-Japanese Nuetrality Pact in 1941, and didn't declare war on Japan again until 8th August 1945, nearly six full years of non-aggression in that area. Historians do warn againt confusing this with the former border conflicts.

But the invasion of Poland is the spark that got Britain and France to declare war and start WW2 we decided that would be our starting point. Russia didn't join in until the 17th September, 2 days after the end of the border wars with Japan.

Karl

I do like a PE-2 and I'm also liking the look of the Limited Edition kits. I just missed out on a FW 190 Jabo last night. If I had been a few seconds later with my bid, I think I would have picked it up for c. £25 delivered...... :sad-face:

Thanks for reply on the timing of the GB. I had checked the dates to make sure my thinking was right but you beat me to the keyboard.

All the best all.

Andrew

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I do like a PE-2 and I'm also liking the look of the Limited Edition kits. I just missed out on a FW 190 Jabo last night. If I had been a few seconds later with my bid, I think I would have picked it up for c. £25 delivered...... :sad-face:
I may have been watching the same kit, but my budget already went on a different Ltd Edition Eduard kit that I have been waiting for at a decent price.

I am currently looking over the instructions for the additional PE set trying to decide if I really want it or not, I really want about 1/2 of it, radio station and bomb fins.......and I definitely want the resin MGs to replace the plastic ones but it'll have to be a waiting game to get them at a decent price and not from the US.

I also have the Ltd Yak-1b on the shelf.

Oh and @The Smythe Meister will be joining in, I know what kit he's doing already but I'll let him announce that.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I may have been watching the same kit, but my budget already went on a different Ltd Edition Eduard kit that I have been waiting for at a decent price.

I am currently looking over the instructions for the additional PE set trying to decide if I really want it or not, I really want about 1/2 of it, radio station and bomb fins.......and I definitely want the resin MGs to replace the plastic ones but it'll have to be a waiting game to get them at a decent price and not from the US.

I also have the Ltd Yak-1b on the shelf.

Oh and @The Smythe Meister will be joining in, I know what kit he's doing already but I'll let him announce that.
I think I might just know having seen the exchange.....but I'll let him announce it. I'm just in the middle of sending him PM....but I'll let him announce what that is about too!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good idea but personally I feel a better idea if it was only aircraft of Russian origin. As you say designed and built in Russia.
Open it to lend lease and all the normal/usual suspects will get built.
Easy time frame would have been from when Russia entered wwii through til the end.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
A good idea but personally I feel a better idea if it was only aircraft of Russian origin. As you say designed and built in Russia.
Open it to lend lease and all the normal/usual suspects will get built.
Easy time frame would have been from when Russia entered wwii through til the end.
The lend-lease bit was to widen the net a bit, I think you may be surprised with what appears.
And the two and a half weeks it took for Russia to enter the war won't make that much of a difference......

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think I might just know having seen the exchange.....but I'll let him announce it. I'm just in the middle of sending him PM....but I'll let him announce what that is about too!!
Ok,ok.. I AM "In"....
... But,( and even though it appears this is probably the worst kept secret in GB History !! ;) ),I shall not reveal my entry until it is in my sticky little mits :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And the two and a half weeks it took for Russia to enter the war won't make that much of a difference.....
I was referring to the different wars that were named., thought it just easier to say WWII.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I was referring to the different wars that were named., thought it just easier to say WWII.
We are someone asked about Khalkhin Gol, which wouldnt be covered, the Invasion of Poland was the start of WW2 hostilities for Russia and the Winter War is often considered as being outside of WW2 so just clarified those two conflicts are included.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok,ok.. I AM "In"....
... But,( and even though it appears this is probably the worst kept secret in GB History !! ;) ),I shall not reveal my entry until it is in my sticky little mits :smiling3:

Won't say a word....but don't think it will take a genius to work it out! After all I did!!! ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just realised that I forgot to say that this will be my entry......the acquisition that started it all!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I found the thread I was referring to.

Sorry, I no longer participate in GB’s but I’ll follow with interest.