Karls Tamiya 1/24 Caterham Super 7

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl

Now we all want a Super 7.............

Quite an iconic and recognisable car from the opening sequence of The Prisoner, a proper 60s show about a spy who's just not allowed to resign on his terms.
There were actually 3 differnt cars used in the production, all bearing KAR120C as the registration, with some small differences between them, the build itself is going to be straight forward OOB with the addition of some lettering for the reg.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Patrick McGoohan, could be so menacing. Think of Ice Station Zebra and Hell Drivers. A lot of The Prisoner was filmed in Portmeirion in Wales.
A good choice for the GB.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So we have a box, note the obvious sign of the vintage.....
IMG_20230227_210420.jpg

Some tyres, clear parts and chromed parts. And a bit of kit included etch for the grill.
IMG_20230227_210530.jpg

And then two sprues, one white and one black.
IMG_20230227_210537.jpg
IMG_20230227_210542.jpg

The decals, not getting used for this build though.
IMG_20230227_210642.jpg

And finally the lettering set I'm using to make up the registration plates.
IMG_20230227_210638.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
A Ford Cosworth 4 cylinder 1.3l engine, complete with two dual throated Weber carburetors, developing 83bhp at 6000 rpm. Coupled to the 4 speed gearbox capable of propelling the car to just a bit more than 100mph.
Doesn't seem much by today's standards but considering the car is a little bit bigger than a roller skate a thrilling ride none the less.
IMG_20230303_212527.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Slow going on this, between work, dealing with my fathers ill health and the Rugby.......
So a bit of priming, the chassis bit needs 3 different colours applied so a bit of masking off there before spraying those.
IMG_20230318_113102.jpg
And the nose got primed white then a coat of Tamiya Lacquer yellow. Which was quite difficult to photograph, camera wanted it to be white.
IMG_20230318_112646.jpg

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Will be watching this build with interest as its no. 4 on my build list.
Mine will be representing a full size one I rebuilt for a customer many years ago but with a yellow body and green nose cone as he wanted to be different!
Keep the info and photos coming so I can get inspiration from your build.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The eagle eyed may of spotted the LP-31 paint in the background. It's titled Dark Green 2(IJN) on Tamiyas lacquer chart, but looked close enough to British Racing Green to my eye.
Will be watching this build with interest as its no. 4 on my build list.
Mine will be representing a full size one I rebuilt for a customer many years ago but with a yellow body and green nose cone as he wanted to be different!
Keep the info and photos coming so I can get inspiration from your build.
Keeping this one simple, no extra bits that I had initially planned as I'm just not getting the time at the moment. I keep pricing the current 1:1 version but need a bit more space yet..........

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Another short stint at the bench, I've been away from home 2 weeks plus a weekend since starting this but it's nearly Easter and I have a full 10days off.

Some interior bits and wheels done.
IMG_20230404_212904.jpg

The I had a panic as to if there's enough room on the grill for the reg plate.
IMG_20230404_212914.jpg
But there's plenty. The rear plate is a bit shallow but a replacement won't be hard to make.

I'm at a loss on how to weather this, I can add dirt into the treads on the wheels, maybe a bit of dust, windscreen wiper tracks.....
Or just go for the freshly valeted look......

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Very nice Karl, I think that if I had a real one, it would be pristine, so that is how I would have the model.
Following with interest.
Garry

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Very nice Karl, I think that if I had a real one, it would be pristine, so that is how I would have the model.
Following with interest.
Garry
Coming on Karl. I reckon it would be kept very clean.
Maybe in your houses, I use drive through car washes, and I don't think this would go through........
Oh if I got one it would probably be polished every week for the first 3 months........then never see a chamois again.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A beauty so far.
My Camaro has never seen a car wash & I'm too lazy, so the used car guy at the dealer does it. It's black, so I like it clean'n'shiney. I 'speck if I had a Lotus, I'd keep it clean always.

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looking good Karl, I'd agree with the others, maybe a bit of dust on the tyres but other than that a showroom shine

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Following with interest.
Garry
Chap around the corner had one, well, still has, I moved!! Looked loverly, sounded better!!!