Kia ora

First Name
Nick
Kia ora,
New me here. I live north of Auckland on New Zealand’s North Island.
I’ve been unable to work since mid January for health reasons and so am finding time between treatments to do some modeling.
I started as a child, and then have had various stints throughout adulthood as time and interest allowed.
My favourites are 1:35 armour, and I’m starting to try different weathering techniques rather than factory fresh examples. I’m keen to build a WW2 bridgelayer, but there doesn’t seem to be much available.
Formula 1 cars, motorbikes and WW2 aircraft have been attempted.
Currently building Tamiya’s Stug IV.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's a warm welcome to the site from me too Speedy!!......
..... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :thumb2:,
A StuG is a great way to get back into the hobby :cool:.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m keen to build a WW2 bridgelayer, but there doesn’t seem to be much available.
Not much, no. You can find a few early-war German ones in plastic, IIRC, but if you’re after Allied then the only plastic kit that comes to mind is the Churchill AVRE with SBG bridge from AFV Club — be warned that’s quite an involved model to build, though.

Other than that, it’s going to be mostly a matter of using conversion sets with plastic kits, or scratchbuilding, of course, if you feel up to that. That’s even more work, though :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Adding to Jakko's post, you can also get the Churchill Bridglayer from International Models Asia - good quality kit from resin and laser cut material. Not a beginners model, but one to break you into converting.
Also a warm welcome to you.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wellcome from me as well Nick.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Adding to Jakko's post, you can also get the Churchill Bridglayer from International Models Asia - good quality kit from resin and laser cut material. Not a beginners model, but one to break you into converting.
And I realised later I forgot you can also get a number of Soviet ones in plastic. But that’s about it as far as plastic kits are concerned, and everything else is either a conversion kit that will require a lot more skill/effort than a plastic kit, or scratchbuilding.

First Name
Nick
Not much, no. You can find a few early-war German ones in plastic, IIRC, but if you’re after Allied then the only plastic kit that comes to mind is the Churchill AVRE with SBG bridge from AFV Club — be warned that’s quite an involved model to build, though.

Other than that, it’s going to be mostly a matter of using conversion sets with plastic kits, or scratchbuilding, of course, if you feel up to that. That’s even more work, though :smiling3:
Thanks. I’ll look at conversion sets. Any pointers?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forums Nick.

Before this welcome post becomes a big Q & A session, can I ask that you have a quick read here.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Nick.

I have been to your fair country a number of times. Although I'm a Brit for my MANY sins, my wife grew up in Auckland before coming to the UK for what was meant to be a couple of years.....she then had the great misfortune to meet me and the rest, as they say, is history.

We actually got married in Auckland and had our our honeymoon in the Bay of Islands, although we did take an all day coach tour one day that took us up to Cape Reinga and then drove us down 90 mile beach....initially really fun but after 10 miles or so it lost it's initial charm.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ll look at conversion sets. Any pointers?
Other than, “Try searching Scalemates” not really, I’m afraid … Bridge layers are not really my thing, so I’m also not really up to date on what’s available for building/converting them.