Kicking Bird 120mm PiliPili

First Name
Andrew
And now for something completely different! Just to prove that I have interests other than WW1 trenches I’ve dusted this off from my stash of Grey Army. I don’t think that you can buy him any more but I was attracted to the sense of movement that this figure has. You can easily see that he is standing bracing the wind. Le-van Quang did a really good job on this sculpt. My only change is to give him a tomahawk but I will paint him as the box art shows.
Having some of Mike Butler’s figures is rather intimidating but I will try my best and just try to enjoy rather than compete.
Ive spent all week’s lunchtimes separating the feathers and am nearly there. Moulding blocks had to be put between them and they are difficult to remove without breaking the delicate feathers. I used scalpel and razor saw at first but then remembered that I have some tiny dentist’s drill bits. That made easier work of it and I’m nearly there.
Im going to keep his legs separate for ease of panting.
Andy

A204F13E-F87D-43BC-8FDE-8E87E4239995.jpeg7C94955D-D7E3-4817-A700-C6BB204A95B7.jpeg028898DB-C910-4EEE-9BCA-9707A7123262.jpeg97FDC453-9615-428C-BC13-5C94DB530A5D.jpegCEE60E15-D125-4FC5-AC4A-F77454B5AAA8.jpeg

First Name
Andrew
Here's a Native American that I have done already. This is a 1:9 bust by Andrea of Sitting Bull.

Sitting Bull.jpg

I spent a lot of my childhood playing Cowboys and Indians and had a big stash of Timpo Swapits that I had saved for my children. My son has never had an interest in figures/soldiers so they just sat in the loft. My childhood home was very small and I had to pack them away every day. I had quite a few boxes, so they were quite valuable. One of the things that I did during furlough was to put most of it on Ebay and I got good prices for them. The best was a boxed ranch which went for £150. My theory is that their value will drop as my generation dies off. I don't believe there will be a younger market for them. Anyway, they've gone and I don't have to care for them any longer. (Some got trashed in our house flood!) I've still kept a selection of figures, a jail and my stage coach. I've still got most of these figures but sold the limber for £100 and fort for another £100.
Andy

Scan_20200703 (2).jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

A great figure to get the mojo going Andy, though those feathers look like they were a nightmare to clean up. And if it turns out anything like your Sitting Bull bust we're in for a real treat.

I too had boxes full of Timpo soldiers as a kid. I used to buy one every Friday on my way home from school (for 1'6d I think, though it may have been less). Amazing that you still had the ranch - it just goes to show the wisdom of listeneing to your parents and looking after your toys, which I certainly didn't. I remember the problem with Timpo buildings was that the clips that held them together tended to snap off.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks fantastic Andy. I have an extremely similar high quality replica shield decorating the wall of my Operations Room. It was made by the same company that made the clothing for dances with wolves. I bought it in Cody Wyoming about thirty years ago. I’ll post a picture if you like......
Otherwise Sitting Bull looks every inch the Hunkpapa leader, great job. Looks like your subject is wearing something like a ghost dance shirt? It will be great to see this come together.

D

Deleted member 6559

That is impressive Andy and probably worth a fortune as a collection. Happy memories come flooding back.

john hutton

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Evening Andrew, great to see something from an age when people actually kept things for longer than a few weeks. Will make a change seeing you going further back in time than your WW1 era. Will look forward to seeing you paint this chap, is that a crack on the back of his head ? Sitting Bull is stunning mate, top job.

First Name
Andrew
Will look forward to seeing you paint this chap, is that a crack on the back of his head ?
The headdress comes in two pieces, so I will be putting in filler once the feathers are ready.
I’m working on a base for him at the moment, made from a piece of Walnut wood.
Good to have you company John.
Andy

First Name
Andrew
I have done a little more to the feathers but have spent most of this week making 4 bases from some lumps of Walnut.
3DBFA228-A7F4-43C5-B684-BC7099DDF4B8.jpeg
This is actually one of the others as Ive attached the moulded base to Kicking Birds base but left that at work. I adjusted the edges of mine using car body filler and Polyfilla. I’ll try to post a photo tomorrow.
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seat please Andy , looking fwd to seeing this come together, esp as Sitting Bull was so good.

First Name
Andrew
I’ve attached his legs to the base. You may be able to see that I’ve adapted the edges of the groundwork using crumbling car body filler and Polyfilla. I also made a frame to attach his upper body while I paint it. I still have some work to do on cleaning him up but I have added some Magic Sculpt particularly between the two halves of his headdress.
8200B2DD-9945-49F8-A1D3-1DA525798A31.jpeg3330C834-B5C1-4BDC-92CD-894A9E96A792.jpeg1D218DE1-33A5-42CE-8A4A-3E96D549DB29.jpeg

You May notice that it’s early morning? Im not sleeping that well as I received a draft copy of my book electronically today. Im very happy with how it looks but my mind is active about it. I have an index to compile now that I have the page numbers. I’ll have the time over Christmas off work to do that.
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy..........just getting on to 10:30 here in the "Old West"........Took a drive down the Flathead Indian Reservation today and did a little shopping in the small town of Polson.......was interesting to see Bison steaks on sale at the meat counter in the local super market.
Your build is looking very good and the base should set it off nicely.........I'll continue following your progress on Kicking Bird......he seems to have a bit of a "Grouch" on and the pose does look rather aggressive. ;) Rick H.

D

Deleted member 6559

Lovely prep-work Andy. The book must take up a lot of your time and thoughts, and I know you'll want to get it absolutely right - there must be a lot of little 'issues' to think about. Still, an exciting time for you.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice work on the ground and base Andy! Looks great !
Can't go wrong with Walnut :thumb2:
Steven

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy.
I remember having a plastic fort in my youth.Seem to recall plastic cavalry figures and indians.Lovely job you are doing on this and the previous indian you did is rather lovely.
Im looking forward to your book v much
Keep safe from Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Certainly something different from your good self. If it turns out as well as your Sitting Bull then we're in for a treat. Well thought out prep work. Base will enhance the figure. A book - how exciting. Is it to do with your WW1 models?
Jim

Last edited: