Kit Built GWR 44xx 2-6-2 How to remove paint?

S

stewy

Hi all, i acquired this model recently from a keen railway enthusiast. Its a 1963 model that has been built, painted and used quite a bit too.

A friend of mine is sorting the chassis for me while i get stuck into stripping the body and making it look good again.

From what i can see, there was no attempt to smooth of any of the flash on the parts and its really been "Thrown together", including a very thick layer of paint.

I`m sure it has enamel paint on it, so what do you guys think would be the best solution for stripping all the paint off? I want all the glue to come off too, so i can solder it back together ( low heat solder ).

View attachment 33358

train%20(4).jpg

A

andygh

What's it made out of, white metal? brass?

Cover it in paint stripper

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Better than 47 posts saying havent got a clue.

Right then; You say you want to solder it together, is it a metal kit then? sounds a daft question I know but I have to ask.

As for the removing the paint Carsons paint killer is, so I have heard, the stuff you want. Safe on all plastics used for kits, metals too. Removes all types of paint and has even been tested on 10year old Tamiya Acrylic paint!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Forgot to mention: If the builder has used CA I have no suggestions for un-glueing it.

Plastic glues can often be softened with acetone. This will however also attack the plastic, hence the question about the kit being metal or plastic.

If it is metal gentle heat might soften the glue enough to tweak it apart.

Ian M

A

andygh

Nitromors will be ok, it also removes epoxy glue if that's what was used

Acetone dissolves superglue

S

stewy

Very true Ian, lol.

Its a white metal body, not sure on the glue used but it is very thick. I think it is enamel paint from the 60`s that is on it. maybe its been repainted too because the paint is very thick in places. There is some plastic pieces that have been used to represent coal but these pieces are far too big to be scale and they will get replaced.

I didnt think it could be solderd together but a friend of mine is very keen on model trains and build his own live steam trains and kits regularly and he does just that.

This model is for me to get my airbrush into use for the first time too, so i want to strip it to bare metal, solder together and airbrush.

I have nitromors in the shed, so will start with that and see how the glue comes apart, its looks very "Globby" so maybe will soften with nitromorsand pull off with wiping or rubbing.

After using such a strong paint stripper, should i just wash it off with soapy water or do i need anopther chemical to get rid of any trace elements of stripper?

Thanks Ian M and andygh for your helpful replies.