Klear

First Name
Grant
Hi guys I'm just getting back into modeling and getting a airbrush for my new build. My question is the new pledge klear multi surface still good for cockpits and gloss coats cheers grant 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is just as good as the old one.

D

dubster72

I'll have to disagree with Ian there Grant. Whilst the new Pledge stuff is ok for dipping canopies, it's nowhere near as good as the old Klear for applying gloss coats IMHO. I find the current product needs too many coats to give a good gloss, which can mean you loose fine detail.

Personally I prefer Humbrol Clear.

A

Awins

I'll have to disagree with Ian there Grant. Whilst the new Pledge stuff is ok for dipping canopies, it's nowhere near as good as the old Klear for applying gloss coats IMHO. I find the current product needs too many coats to give a good gloss, which can mean you loose fine detail.

Personally I prefer Humbrol Clear.

Which Humbrol Clear do you prefer as they do both acrylic and enamel?

D

dubster72

Which Humbrol Clear do you prefer as they do both acrylic and enamel?

Alan, it's the acrylic product. Humbrol Gloss Cote is the enamel based stuff. That's ok if you're happy with the smell, but I've found that the acrylic based stuff to be just as good.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The new AK Interactive 'Gauzy' product has had a good review for canopy dipping and the varnish version looks good as well.  Personally I am using the Alclad Aqua Gloss.

A

Awins

Alan, it's the acrylic product. Humbrol Gloss Cote is the enamel based stuff. That's ok if you're happy with the smell, but I've found that the acrylic based stuff to be just as good.

Patrick the Humbrol acrylic is my product of choice but the bottle that I am currently using seems to pool when sparayed. The only way that I have found to stop this is to reduce the pressure and apply many light coats. Do you use thus straight from the bottle or do you dilute it with a little water.

Cheers

D

dubster72

To be honest Alan, I've given up spraying any gloss coat for that very reason! With aircraft it's easier due to their streamlined shape, but armour has so many perpendicular surfaces that pooling becomes a real problem. So now I apply it with a large flat brush , it's slower, but you have more control. Plus I've found that 3 thin brush coats will provide a better gloss than 1 or 2 airbrushed coats.

Thinning the Clear with water will only make matters worse I reckon. The thinner liquid will be more inclined to pool.

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

personally I use the GUnze flat and gloss clear for all clear jobs.

First Name
Grant
Thanks for the replys. The last time I built planes I was using humbrol enamel but now looking at things Im thinking acrylic. Just not sure who by yet. And Im starting again with a 1/48 revel b17f

D

dubster72

Stick with enamels Grant, they're great! Haha I'm one of the few who still uses them on here ;)

If you do go with acrylics, be prepared for all the problems & frustration associated with them.. and whatever brand you choose... DON'T use Humbrol acrylics, coz they're rubbish!

First Name
Grant
I've always used enamels and a brush but really wanted to give spraying a try. But I can see me going back to a brush

D

dubster72

Just my opinion, but enamels spray like a dream. You can use white spirit to thin & clean the airbrush.

Plus you'll avoid the typical issues that acrylic users suffer. Probably the easiest acrylic to get into at first are Tamiya. As long as you don't spray from too far away, they're pretty forgiving. The only downside is the lack of specific paint colours.

First Name
Grant
What's it like for smell using enamel through a ab as it will be done indoors 

D

dubster72

Hmm that's a difficult one to answer, because smells are different from one person to another.

Personally I don't find it bad. I've had people come round just after spraying & they've never mentioned it. They're not being polite either, usually they're interested in my model making.

But I do have a spray booth; homemade but it does the job.

If you have any Humbrol tinlets knocking around & some white spirit, give it a try and see how it compares to acrylics.

It's my view that many users of acrylics who say enamels are too smelly simply haven't tried them. Most people take up the hobby or return to it, read on forums like this that enamels stink the place out & go directly to acrylics. 

Then they spend valuable modelling time posting up threads asking for help with clogging, tip dry & what thinner/cleaner to use  :P

First Name
Grant
I may give the old enamels a try then it's what I'm used to and try some washes on this model then 

J

John Rixon

I may give the old enamels a try then it's what I'm used to and try some washes on this model then 

May I suggest you use odourless thinners? Winsor & Newton 'sansdoor' is £8 for 250 ml, but if you only use it to actually thin your paint (and use White Spirit to clean up) it'll go a long way. it has a very mild smell, and white spirit is a bit whiffy, especially if sprayed! I'm sure if you shop around, it's available even cheaper!