KM Dresden (WW1) and Robinson Crusoe

D

duncan

KM Dresden.Robinson Crusoe

In 1915 the Imperial German Navy commerce raider "Dresden" was scuttled after a battle with HMS Glasgow and HMS Kent near Alexander selkirk`s (Robinson Crusoe) island in the Pacific. This is the 300th anniversary of Alexander Selkirk`s arrival on Juan Fernandez Island. Daniel Defoe based the tale of Robinson Crusoe on Selkirk`s adventures during his four years alone on this Pacific island .The village of Largo in Fife where Selkirk was born is having a three day event to mark this. If anyone has a model of Dresden or similar ship they will be made welcome. Static display. The Chilean ambassador will be in attendance. Also any period Privateer or RN ships of 16th/17th century that would be suitable. Selkirk sailed on "Duke" and died on HMS Weymouth. Anybody got any ideas for a junket to East Fife 11th 12th 13th Sept. with square riggers, sloops , men of war etc?

Last edited:
G

George

Duncan,

I do not know of anyone with a model of Dresden off hand, will make some enquiries about ans see what I can find out. What dates are we looking at as you don't say

ATB

D

duncan

Thanks George, . It is 12/13th Sept,04. Civic reception on 11th invitation only I believe but I think models would be welcome in hotel. Sailing ships from aprox period would be suitable. They have some pictures of the rescue ship in the dining room. This their first attempt at celebrating their famous son,could be start of good thing.:clap:

J

jamie456

S.M.S. Dresden

Hi Duncan,

I have the Revell model of Dresden, although I have displayed it together with the WWII Graf Spee in the same display case with the title 'Raiders'. I'm in Glasgow but may be in Leven on Friday 10th September to do some work, I could drop it off to you and pick it up again some time later.

If thats any use just let me know.

I have pics of my 'Raiders' display case in my Webshots page. If you get onto Webshots you'll find the pics under my user name, Jamiemcginlay, in my 'Jamie's Warships' Album. In my 'Jamie's Historic Ships' Album you'll also see my model of the Charles II's ship The Sovereign of the Seas, which is 17th century, but I don't know if that would be suitable. I'm sure your Chillean guest will be interested in anything connected with Admiral Cochrane, but I don't have anything to contribute there...sorry!

My webshots link is:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamiemcginlay

You could try clicking on that, if it doesn't work then copy and paste it onto your address window.

Cheers,

Jim McGinlay

D

duncan

Thanks Jim, Interesting site you have there. I`ll PM you later today(Thursday) about Largo.