Kursk. II S.S. Panzer corps slowly claw their way toward Obayan

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
These are some shots of my progress with the figure mods.

This is figure 3 - the NCO.

I've got the smock on him by layering a thin sheet of putty over the top of the tunic, and I've given the sleeves the cinched cuffs. I've also hollowed out the sleeves and got the MP40 folding-stock to fit correctly in the arm. I've done a couple of other things too, I've undercut the tunic to give a more layered effect to the clothing and I've given the smock some laces - although these are coming off as they are completely out of scale,. being nearly the thickness of his fingers! I also opened up the collar and enhanced the collar boards themselves.

I've got to say I'm having a great deal of fun just messing around with 1 figure. I'm learning quite a bit about materials and pushing myself quite a bit too. Once or twice I've thought this piece of work was destined for the bin, but I've stuck with it and I think I'm slowly getting there. I now think I'm going to finish this one figure completely first (including painting) as I am eager to find out for myself how this will look. As I've said this is a bit of an experiment, but if it this goes well then I think it could open up a whole world of possibilities in figure modifications.

The figure is still a bit rough and needs a bit of liquid poly to burn off the odd bit of shaved plastic but you get the idea.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 16860View attachment 16861View attachment 16862

View attachment 24890

View attachment 24891

View attachment 24892

Figure03 alt02.jpg

Figure03 alt01.jpg

Figure03 alt03.jpg

B

bikerbart

Wowwww, awsome changes happening here. Like you mate i cant wait to see the first fig all painted up and finished. Hopefully this will give myself and others the inspiration to get on and try new things. Good on ya bud, all the best Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Martin for your continued support. It means a lot because this may yet end up in the bin and I may have nothing to show for it! At least someone will have acknowledged that I tried!!!

I'm going to add the straps for the field equipment tonight and possibly finish the other arm. I think by the weekend I may have 1 figure complete (family/work allowing). I don't want to rush the build though just to get to my favourite bit which is the painting phase.

Have you started your build yet?

Cheers

P

F

Fenlander

One of the reasons for doing the GB, and for people joining in, is to try things, alongside others, that you may not have done before. I think you are doing a great job of tackling a figure modification especially at this scale. Many people only mod figures to this level of detail in the much larger scales so kudos for that. As for it ending in the bin, sadly we all have things that end in the bin but I certainly cannot see any justification for this ending up there.

Can I just make a gentle reminder that the GB, well this one anyway, runs for four months. It is not a race as to who finishes first and it is not the intention of the GB to overtake everything else you may want to do. Treat the GB as a background project in which you can learn so much, as you have indicated you are already doing, and a place to share your experiences. By doing what you are doing with this figure, you may inspire someone else to have a go and that can only be good.

The forum is a great place to share our hobby, the GB is to focus that sharing and 'Club Atmosphere' around a single subject or idea. So chill and enjoy, you are doing a great job.

B

bikerbart

Hiya Paul, yep ive got around to prepairing a couple of figs for what will eventyally be the dio. Im reckoning that come the end i should have around 8-10 figs in the scene. I may even end up having to adapt a fig as i cant find what im after for a part of the main scene...ie a German 1/48th scale sniper!!!!!!

That said ive been inspired by what youve been upto with the figs and i reckon i could adapt something i have ??????? 1/48th scale, how mad would that send me lol :smiling:

Ive also been prepairing some of the weaponary that will be inviolved, its amazingly detailed for the size/scale and also very very delicate, so taking me time to get it right, the cleaning up from the sprues etc is quite time consuming, using a scapel to get it just right.

As for stuff ending up in the bin....tell me about it lol.....i was building a plane for the Torbay show later this month...ive never done a plane before so went 1/72nd...i completely screwed it up on the painting so guess where it ended up!!!!! Im normally a patient guy when it comes to modelling but that drove me nuts....im doing a 1/72 Stoch at the mo to go with a Kubelwagen, fingers crossed at the mo its going well. I reckon most of us at some point have ended up with something in the bin??

Anyway i will post some pics hopefully tomorrow, in the mean time im just enjoying the whole thing and loving everyone's posts on their chosen subject. Keep the posts coming mate and cheers for the inspiration, all the best Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Martin

That's the idea - enjoy yourself! I'm really diggin' this figure build.

:biggrin:

Paul

R

rogue-one

wow!! paul, things are looking good. i can't believe how much our ideas are the same. though,the russian battlefield was the same in most fights. yours is looking much bigger (dare i say, epic). great minds think alike :smiling3: ha ha. due to being a field area i was thinking of using the fur trick for grass for some areas of ground, let me know how you get on with that and give me some tips. like i said tho,i'll have some melting snow on areas too so that'll make it different. i got snow from games workshop by the way, it was £4. but it has a good look. and thanks again for the help and advice.

ps. i like the pic of the german motar unit.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi paul ,great work on the figures,they are going to look real nice, cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Bobby/Tony

About the Grass: this is really Scott's tip, I'm giving it a go for the first time. I've asked him for some advice on this but he may be away or busy. I'm sure he'll put us right once he gets the time and I'm a long way from starting the grass anyway. I think our dioramas will be quite different Bobby as I'm depicting a battle during high summer and you're tackling the winter scene. You've got some great opportunities to create some real muck and filth there, with the contrast of the snow it should look fab.

Paul

N

noble

Hi Paul the material looks about right just use a hair brush and brush the material against the grain and it will all stand up. nice work mate.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scott

Thanks for getting back to me. That all makes sense. I'm assuming that once you've got some paint on it it kinda stands up on it's own? I'm going to try shaving it in parts (ooher, missis!) for the more barren patches and possibly 'plant' some longer grass in places with bristles from a brush.

Just wondering if you'll be joining us? You may be busy and this is no pressure at all but it would be great to have you building one of your dios.

Cheers

P

N

noble

Hi Paul yeah best thing is prime get the grass standing up first then prime it all with a grey paint once thats dry the grwill stand up then paint it green or whtever colour you require. As for my joining the GB i have an idea in mind but not sure how or if it is workable yet so will need to do some further planning on that, i am flattered you think the long grass idea is good enough to try out cheers mate and i will be looking forward to seeing this develop.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scott

This is a fabulous tip - no way am I 'planting' a whole field full of brush bristle grass - it'd take the whole GB build time! Anyway, it works great for you - I'm gonna give it a go!

Cheers

P

R

rogue-one

\ said:
Thanks Bobby/TonyAbout the Grass: this is really Scott's tip, I'm giving it a go for the first time. I've asked him for some advice on this but he may be away or busy. I'm sure he'll put us right once he gets the time and I'm a long way from starting the grass anyway. I think our dioramas will be quite different Bobby as I'm depicting a battle during high summer and you're tackling the winter scene. You've got some great opportunities to create some real muck and filth there, with the contrast of the snow it should look fab.

Paul
ha ha haaa, yeah, i thought to myself after writing the post "ehh? hang on, the only things really the same is german troops and a tank?!" and half of the G.B. is doing that, thats the eastern front for u. i am lookin forward to doing lots of muddyness. i like how you said to paul about shaving some of the fur (ooh er?! now ave done it too), i'm gonna steal that tip.he he. then i'll spread dirty mud over the bare areas (where is this sentance going?!) it's all turning a bit franky howard. anyhoo, if you know how to do mud effect or anyone else does, let me know.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Right then...

I've got an update on the first SS figure. Since my last post I added lead-foil straps, the equipment and a bread bag made from putty (so I could push the water bottle into it whist still soft). I then sat down and started to paint... Going against my original plan, I decided to paint the figures in acrylics as apposed to oils. The chief reason for doing this was the shorter drying times but did mean I'd have to give up some of the blending properties of oil paints.

I primed the figure first with Halford's grey primer and then set about the camouflage. After finishing this I then turned my attention to the flesh tones and then completed the rest of the figure.

You may notice a gap in the shoulder of the right arm - I haven't yet attached this arm properly yet (it's pinned) and some painting restoration will be required once it's filled.

After completing the camouflage the first time I wasn't happy with the base colour nor the pattern so repainted it again. After some localised washes made from thinned oil paint (black and burnt sienna) I dry brushed some highlights and dirt onto the boots and trousers. I've simulated the chipped paint from the gas mask and the cup over the water bottle and highlighted the MP40 with some gun metal.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I've learned a lot from this figure and that can only be good for future projects. It's not in Tyrel's league but It'll do for my dio and I'm pleased with both the result and the kowledge I've gained. Any comments/feedback is welcomed and I hope you like my first attempt at figure alts.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 17095View attachment 17096View attachment 17097

View attachment 25071

View attachment 25072

View attachment 25073

NCO Paint alt03.jpg

NCO Paint alt01.jpg

NCO Paint alt02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm quietly watching all the builds, and this Paul is summat else. The work you have put into this is of the highest order, and painted so very well. my congrats. to you.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
superb figures paul, i wish i could do mine as good as this, excellent work , keep it up cheers tony

F

Fenlander

OK Paul, I have posted all my figures to you to paint and I have included a couple of quid to buy yourself a pint for doing them. Don't tell anyone else on the forum so that when they see them they will all think I am a genius.

Just superb mate, really good.

B

bikerbart

Paul, thats a cracking job youve done there mate, well done you should be really chuffed with the results...have to say the camo stands out very very well, love it. All the extra work and effort you have put in has paid off fully. All the best bud, regards Martin :smiling: