Kwajalein Atoll..February 1944 - An additional build bit!

0ne48thtel

you could always use the body parts in the dio as blown up marines or limbs siticking out from under parts of the building

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking really good Ron, very nice attention to detail sir.

Si:smiling3:

C

CDW

I tried dragon figures once... My opinion is they have so many parts, and give you so much to do to create one figure to make it seem like its worth spending the extra on them ... Realistically they're cheap quality (moulding and material) and lacking in detail in my opinion.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input and suggestions boys....

I've just counted up the pieces for each make of complete 1/35 figure - weapon and all. Same gear.

Dragon...24

Master Box....13

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's just crazy Ron. The only reason they should have for using so many parts is for better detail and accuracy. Sounds like any gains made in those areas are wiped out by extra seams .....

I don't think I have any Dragon figures in my stash, and from what you say, it don't look like I'm going to be getting any!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, probably in the hands of someone other than me, the 1/35 Dragon figures would turn out o.k. It's just that I get a bit hacked off when I come across something in the modelling game there is no need for, and hence far too much unnecessary work. At that point I tend to loose interest.

You're not wrong about all the seams either!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking really good Ron.

Dragon figures are like their other kits then; over engineered with more parts than needed.

I built a Dragon Sherman once and I swear there was more parts in the box when I was finished than in the finished kit!!

Ian M

First Name
Richard
Hi Ron, remember me? you gave me some excellent (in a pm) advise on a other side.

so finale I found the time to do some catching up and found out you wrote me a pm in January 2013 well a little late but I did answer it.

So here I am and I admire your work a lot. you got one awesome Diorama there nice work.

Cheers Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Message received Richard.....Roof tiles, wasn't it? I remember when I read your reply.

Great to have you with us and thanks for your comments on my dio.

Take a bit of time to have a look at the pictures of member's builds here on S.M., in their respective gallery's . All first class models.

Cheers,

Ron

First Name
Richard
Hello Ron, indeed it was the roof tiles and rocks.

well i just got started with the first pictures of a diorama ok that yours but we al have to start some were.

so keep up the good work

Cheers

Richard

First Name
Aaron
Sounds like gen2 figures...i love both dragon and masterbox figures.

A

AJay

Very cool concrete with the metal bars showing..........!!!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the latest posts chaps......and sorry for the late response!

After a bit of an absence, I've finally finished this diorama. Thanks for all your input along the way.

The finished model is over in 'Completed' - or it will be pretty soon......

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The pictures have loaded before the text again! (see chit chat!) So here's two of the altered figures and one of a very frightning face......

View attachment 71132

View attachment 71133

View attachment 71134

Here's me thinking this was all sown up when along comes Si and Alan with a suggestion that the addition of some Japanese soldiers would be a good idea. So you can blame them for the following........
I've had a set of Master Box Jap Infantry in the stash for some time, so I am using them, but modified.....

I reasoned that they would have their backs to the wall, with no hope left, but to die honourably.

So I am taking the original poses and altering them to go with my idea of a suicidal charge against the invading U.S Marines.

I have decided to strip the figures of most of their equipment. Also the originals had some sort of bed roll around their torsos, these I've filed off.

Also, I've started to cut and repositioned the legs and arms to give me that ' just shot' posture, rather than the original charging ones...You will notice a hole in the officer's knee....That's a hit from a B.A.R.!

Cheers,

Ron

Kwajalein Atoll,  1944 098.jpg

Kwajalein Atoll,  1944 099.jpg

Kwajalein Atoll,  1944 097.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like the mods Ron, and I am sorry that you have had to work a tad more on your dio...Alan won't apologise...it was all his idea really...he forced me into agreeing with him...

Si...Running...well, shuffling away before Alan comes.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I like the mods Ron, and I am sorry that you have had to work a tad more on your dio...Alan won't apologise...it was all his idea really...he forced me into agreeing with him...Si...Running...well, shuffling away before Alan comes.
Ron take no notice of this splitter :smiling3: they look cool mate I await to see how this will look no doubt it will look fantastic

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Ron take no notice of this splitter :smiling3: they look cool mate I await to see how this will look no doubt it will look fantastic
I'm innocent I tell ya! *chuckling*

They do look cool though, and when they are on that dio it will add a new dimension to an already superb setting.

Si:smiling3: