Last line of Defence-outside Berlin 1945 (lots of pictures!)

D

dubster72

Hi people! With all the posts about the GB, I thought a blow needed to be struck for the tankies amongst us! So here's my diorama using the King Tiger that I posted some time ago. It's the 'Ardennes Front' version that came with the motorcycle rider.

A few extra bits have been added with some Eduard PE, a tow cable made from picture-hanging wire, some extra figures and the bucket that no diorama should be without!

View attachment 14135

It's meant to show a tank crew having just re-fuelled & now receiving new orders from the despatch rider. I couldn't decide which pictures to show so I put them all on here!

View attachment 14133 View attachment 14134 View attachment 14148

View attachment 14150 View attachment 14144 View attachment 14151

View attachment 14161 View attachment 14162 View attachment 14163

When I look at stuff like this, I always like to see a brief description of how it was done, so that's what I'm gonna do here (in the hope that someone is interested!)

The base is a standard picture frame from the £shop. Sealed with some white glue, normal wall filler was added, using a few bits of polystyrene to add some height.

View attachment 14139 View attachment 14157

Grass was added using both a commercially available 'rough grass' product & higher tufts from the bristles of a brush also bought at the £shop. Stuck down white PVA glue, this was then painted using both Tamiya acrylics & Humbrol enamels. The groundwork was finished in the same way, using sand & soil to give it body & texture. As this sounds like a advert for a hair product, you won't be surprised to find that I used hairspray as a cheap 'fixing-agent' once the glue was dry!

View attachment 14147 View attachment 14158

The signpost has been put up by some cynical soul, showing the limited choices available to German soldiers at this time but also showing what they were fighting for-not political ideals now but just to protect their homes & families.

View attachment 14144 View attachment 14146 View attachment 14149

One thing I also notice is that many tanks or AFV's seem to 'sit' on the ground. As this is a 70-odd tonne tank on a muddy road, it seemed correct to show it slightly sunken into the surface.

View attachment 14153 View attachment 14143

I also wanted to show a wet scene both on the ground & the upper surfaces of the KT by adding a little Klear to give a slight sheen of moisture. Hopefully this has worked!

View attachment 14152 View attachment 14137 View attachment 14145

View attachment 14155 View attachment 14159 View attachment 14142

My figure painting is always a bug-bear for me. I'm getting better I think (just look at the commander on my 1st try in the Tiger I that I did!) but I'm still a long way from where I'd like to be. Just can't get the faces right!

As always, all comments both positive & negative are welcome. I'm a big boy, I can take it!

Patrick

View attachment 22705

View attachment 22706

View attachment 22707

View attachment 22708

View attachment 22709

View attachment 22710

View attachment 22711

View attachment 22712

View attachment 22713

View attachment 22714

View attachment 22715

View attachment 22716

View attachment 22717

View attachment 22718

View attachment 22719

View attachment 22720

View attachment 22721

View attachment 22722

View attachment 22723

View attachment 22724

View attachment 22725

View attachment 22726

View attachment 22727

View attachment 22728

View attachment 22729

View attachment 22730

View attachment 22731

View attachment 22732

View attachment 22733

View attachment 22734

View attachment 22735

Tanks 001..jpg

Tanks 028..jpg

Tanks 049..jpg

Tanks 034..jpg

Tanks 003..jpg

Tanks 007..jpg

Tanks 009..jpg

Tanks 039..jpg

Tanks 029..jpg

Tanks 038..jpg

Tanks 050..jpg

Tanks 040..jpg

Tanks 004..jpg

Tanks 027..jpg

Tanks 044..jpg

Tanks 032..jpg

Tanks 002..jpg

Tanks 030..jpg

Tanks 041..jpg

Tanks 042..jpg

Tanks 048..jpg

Tanks 036..jpg

Tanks 010..jpg

Tanks 047..jpg

Tanks 008..jpg

Tanks 033..jpg

Tanks 011..jpg

Tanks 005..jpg

Tanks 031..jpg

Tanks 006..jpg

Tanks 045..jpg

B

Backbreaker

Great dio/build Patrick.

I love the ambush cam, weld seams, armor plate detail, mud, in fact the whole thing!!

Just hope my King T turns out half as good.

BB.

R

Richy C

I love it Patrick , I know what you mean mate - gb this gb that etc etc saying that it got me starting mine - can`t believe your not in pal , anyway your work looks 1st class mate the figures look spot on and the overall detail is 2nd to none , it would be nice to have a photo of the overall dio though mate ,

I might post up a few things I`ve been working on - desert quad and matilda 1/4 done just to mix it up a bit , I posted a thread a few days ago about a F1 car and a bike (the bikes Johns fault) I got but did not get a response , seems the guys are focused on the GB,

great work Patrick don`t knock your figures they look great to me , whats planned next mate, Lets get us dio/armour boys back on the board

Richy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top notch stuff Patrick.

It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought into this before anything was glued or painted and it worked a treat...well done.

Thank you for sharing with us how it was achieved too.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff and I for one am certainly interested in how it's done. Love all the little details. Nothing wrong with your figures,I wish I could make mine look like that!

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Patrick, i'm happy now i've seen a Tiger II. Great build too btw.

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

I think it is the attention to detail that makes this so good. Have to say when I read your descriptions, in particular the bit about the weight of the tank sinking it into the ground, I had to go back and look at the pics. This is really good because I didn't notice the detail without you mentioning it. Why is that good? Simply because it looks so realistic and natural, nothing stirred my brain to say it wasn't real. It doesn't get much better. The wet mud looks really good as does the grass. I just cannot fault it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'll second all of that Patrick. Yet another excellent dio.

You said you were after the 'wet look' as if it had been raining and I notice the bike tyres are shiny to reflect that. I just wonder if there would be enough rain to wash away all the mud they'd pick up from that track?

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi patrick, im just gobsmacked,this is excellent!the wet mud looks so real and the figures are fantastic , i wish i could get mine like that! congrats on a fine job , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Really nice dio that! Simple, well detailed, well built and painted. Very well done Patrick five stars from me!

D

dubster72

Thanks for all your nice comments guys! To be honest, I felt the tank itself was a bit of a pig, much of the PE got damaged by my clumsy hands & the engine mesh closest to the turret disappeared so that's missing. Also the paintwork isn't so good but it's all part of the learning process! The hardest thing is knowing when to leave it alone & pronounce it done!

Next on the list has to be a base/dio for my T-34 that's hiding in a box! Or a plane.... ;)

Patrick

N

noble

My friend this is outstanding everything about it especially the step by step you get the big five from me as well.

scott

D

dubster72

Thank you Scott, coming from you that's high praise indeed!

Cheers mate

Patrick

C

Cov1

Thats great work, some very nice touches done and I like the way the pics brought out the detail.

Ade

M

Montyman

This is very, very impressive. I can't see anything wrong with your figure painting so stop beating yoursalf up!