Lead Acid Batteries

P

periscope

I have recently got a new sealed lead acid battery 6v 4ah. I put it on its initial charge today - after 5 hrs I went to check it and I could hear it bubbling if I listened closely to it - I've never noticed my other one bubbling as loud as this, but maybe its just that I've never noticed before. I've taken the bubbly one off charge now - I've put the older one on charge now and it's just gently fizzling (but it might bubble later as the charge builds up) Do the sealed lead acid sometimes do this when they are fully charged or during charge? I'll get rid of it if there's any doubt.

Ian

P

Phoenix

i think they are meant to fizz dude

its like a car battery when you charge it (they fizz too)

P

periscope

Thanks Mate - I'm going sailing tomorrow so I'll try the bubbly battery which is reading 6.38V on load - it was probably just well charged up.

Ian

S

Steve_C

Ian,

what are you charging the batteries with? How many amps is your battery charger rated at?

You may be using to big a charger (too many amps), or charging the battery too long, (or both)!

The fizzing you hear is the electrolyte boiling (gas bubbles) venting.

Was the battery warm to the touch after be on charge for 5 hours?

You do not want to overcharge & boil off your electrolyte on a sealed lead acid battery. While I am sure no harm was done, you may want to fine tune your battery charging to get the most longevity out of your batteries!

Steve C.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the scale models forum and thanks for helping out with some usefull advice on your first posting.

It is well worth remembering that, even so called sealed for life batteries, still give off gas when they are charging and care must be taken not to overcharge or to charge at an excessive rate.

We hope you enjoy your time on the Scale Models forum we look forward to your postings in the future.

N

new to trains

you should not charge sealed lead acids ideally at more than half an amp ... the bubbling is fairly normal, many of mine do that.....

if you are looking for a charger for these cells the 'optimate' is an awesome charger, i bought mine at a classic car/ motorcycle centre for £30, it is a charger and reconditioner and has been used to recondition older lead acid cells that no longer hold a good charge, its a great bit of kit and if you look hard there is an optimate charger that is switchable from 6v to 12 volt.... this is the one i have and the one i recommend,

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Can I just add to these excellent pieces of advice here,that over charging sealed gel type batteries can split the case,I have seen this happen on more than one occasion,just watch those charge rates.