Least smelly/hazardous paints/primer/varnish for airbrushing?

K

karoliens

Hi guys,

I am in search for paints/primer/varnish to use indoors which would be least hazardous to health and wouldn't stick the whole apartment.
I have a small collection of Vallejo Air and they're pretty decent except it is hard to find exact colour code (I'm mostly building racing cars). Vallejo Air colours are decent when it comes to airbrushing but I don't like their varnish or primers.
I did a little research and found out that I should avoid anything lacquer based if I''m worried about smell and my health. I used Mr. Surfacer before and loved it but it stinks a lot.
At the moment I am considering Aqueous Hobby Colour to use as colour paints and Ultimate Primer and Alclad II Aqua Gloss.
Could someone recommend something health friendly and without hazardous smell?
Thanks!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
To be honest, even with acrylics you should at the very least be wearing a mask or have an extraction device. Acrylics still fire out small particles into the air for you to breathe in. Just because you cannot smell something doesn't mean there is no risk.

K

karoliens

To be honest, even with acrylics you should at the very least be wearing a mask or have an extraction device. Acrylics still fire out small particles into the air for you to breathe in. Just because you cannot smell something doesn't mean there is no risk.

I have a spray booth but even then for e.g. Mr. Surfacer stinks the whole apartment and I'll have headaches. While spraying Vallejo Air I don't have these issues.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For acrylics i use Vallejo and Hannants Xtracrylix (excellent colour range). I find them easy on the senses. But i still wear a mask for the fine particles.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Stynylrez/ultimate/badger (all the same thing) primer is fairly low odour, as is Winsor & Newton varnish.