Lockheed Martin SR-71A Blackbird - 1/72 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

My wife made the mistake of buying me a copy of the July 2011 'Aviation News' magazine which had a feature on this aircraft where one of the ex-pilots described Blackbird Operations. The article fired my enthusiasm, which has brought this kit to the top of the pile. I am glad I bought the 1/72 scale as this aircraft is 'BIG', the kit only contains 43 parts, but the hard bit will be in the ageing of the paintwork.

For those not familiar with this aircraft some of its amazing statistics are Speed = +Mach 3.2; Ceiling = +85,000ft; Crossed the atlantic in 1Hr 54Min 56.4Sec in 1974.

Here are some shots of the box art and kit. Cheers Derek

View attachment 30950View attachment 30951View attachment 30952View attachment 30953View attachment 30954

View attachment 36052

View attachment 36053

View attachment 36054

View attachment 36055

View attachment 36056

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice subject Derek,

Am I correct in thinking, it was the blackbird that leaked fuel all over until it was flying and up to temperature, then the 'designed in gaps' sealed themselves up ?

Colin M.........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I reckon so.

The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I reckon so. The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Who would have thought his association with the SR71 started with a Revell model, just like me ! - but that was as far as I got !

Colin M........

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, yes you are correct, on the runway it leaks fuel a lot, and in the article I mentioned there are some ariel shots of fuel pouring out over the wings during in-flight refuelling. They had to develop a special titanium alloy to take the 400 Deg C skin temperature. As the aircraft went faster the engines became more efficient, they used 20% afterburner and 80% ram jet. The article was a real eye opener. Cheers Derek

p.s. Was looking at the kit in more detail tonight it has very mostly fine raised panel lines and some recessed panel lines in the two fins, the two fuselage halves simply fall into place a work of art by the moulders. Hasegawa have just re-issued the kit, probably the same kit different decals and a lot more money.

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

\ said:
Will be following this with interest as I have one in the stash.
Hi Tony look forward to seeing your one in due course, you probably know about the link below, but just in case have copied it for you some good walkaround photos of a Blackbird. Am going to try to copy the colours on these photos rather than the kit instructions. Cheers Derek

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Photo Walk Around

Stona, thanks for the article Steve, the magazine I mention covers european operations where they had to learn how the Blackbird behaved in high altitude higher and lower temperatures. The higher temps dramatically cut their range, and the low temp made it difficult for them to slow down for the recce run. Cheers Derek

M

msm2

Hi. I remember in the late 70's seeing one at the Greenham Common Airshow. Completely fenced off with warning signs all around "NO SMOKING". It was dripping fuel all the time.

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, never did see a Blackbird in the flesh, must have been amazing, anyway the progress to date.

The kit comes with the fuselage in two halves inclusive of the wings, one clear sprue with the canopy and another sprue with all the other components. Decided to prime the components on the sprue with my usual Tamiya gray surface primer.

View attachment 31060

I made the cockpit as per the kit, its pretty basic, but as I intend the canopies to be closed, and because they have very small tinted windows, I don't plan to spend any more time on them.

View attachment 31061View attachment 31062View attachment 31063

Have cemented the two fuselage halves together, they went together perfectly without any filler.

View attachment 31064

Cheers Derek

View attachment 36143

View attachment 36144

View attachment 36145

View attachment 36146

View attachment 36147

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B

backonthecase

I hadnt seen one either til Duxford at the weekend there. It looks mean!! yours is looking great Derek, think I might have to add it to the shopping list lol!

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, lucky man, in fact it is photos of the Duxford Aircraft I am trying to copy colour wise.

The canopy of the rear windows in the canopies of the SR-71A have a red seal going around them, so to try to replicate this I have used some red border off an old kit's decal sheet and fixed it inside the window frame with micro set, after first dunking all the canopies in Klear. Not sure how effective this will be as the raised lines on the outer skin of the canopies for the windows are very shallow and you can barely feel them through the masking tape so it will be a hit or a miss. Have also given inside the canopy a thin coat of Tamiya Clear Green, as the windows in some of the photos are appear tinted.

View attachment 31233View attachment 31234

A shot of the finished model masked off ready for priming.

View attachment 31235

A couple of shots of the model primed with Tamiya Aerosol Fine Surface Light Gray Primer.

View attachment 31236View attachment 31237

A shot of the model painted using Gunze Acrylic H333 - Extra dark Sea Gray, they airbrushed with Micro Gloss ready for decalling.

View attachment 31238View attachment 31239

And finally a shot of the aircraft with the decals and flat coat on, have tried to make the paint have a worn look like on the Duxford Aircraft, the Blackbirds were originally painted matt black but with the high skin temperature and prolonged supersonic flying hours they soon developed a grey patchy look. It's difficult to replicated without making the model just look as if its been badly painted.

View attachment 31240

I still have some painting to do, wheel bays, inside the exhaust's variable nozzle, lights etc, but will make this my last posting here, and will post the finished model in the Aircraft Pictures in a day or two. Cheers Derek

View attachment 36305

View attachment 36306

View attachment 36307

View attachment 36308

View attachment 36309

View attachment 36310

View attachment 36311

View attachment 36312

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

B10.jpg

B11.jpg

B12.jpg

B13.jpg

B

backonthecase

Looking good Derek I think you've done well with the patchy paintwork - looks convincing!

Top job!

Stuart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What he said^^^^.

Very nicely judged.

Cheers

Steve