Loco kits???

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I have no idea , but does anyone make plastic kits of sream and diesel/electric locomotives at all?

Is so what would the most popular scale be?

Thanx

Theuns

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Revell do some 1/87, I was asked to get this one Big Boy I only got one but after looking at the detail on it I am going to get more next time place an order, they do a few others in the range

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi theuns, airfix used to do a small selection of plastic kits of trains and accessories in H/O scale ( 1/76 i think?!) you might still find some of these on e-bay, or i know trumpeter do a couple of WW2 era german locos in 1/35 but i bet theyre pricey!! hope this is of some use , cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
i know trumpeter do a couple of WW2 era german locos in 1/35 but i bet theyre pricey!!y
Your right, £45 Hannants - Trumpeter TU00216 1:35

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx ,I will kep an eye open for them.I have allways loved the old steamers from way back when I wached them as a young lad on the track right behing my Gran's house!

It can be something nice to do other than the planes and tanks.

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Saw some of the Airfix ones on flea-bay the other day. Made me remember that I did one as a lad.

The 1/35 scale frome trumpeter look really good. They also do a few wagons. Picture this. Two locos, a couple of ammo wagons, an armoured wagon Rail gun......... What are we up to? 2.5 3metre?!

And a truck load of cash (and very likly allimoney).

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Revell do some 1/87, I was asked to get this one Big Boy I only got one but after looking at the detail on it I am going to get more next time place an order, they do a few others in the range
I'm the person who ordered this Big Boy from John. Thanks for the superb service John.

I was going to surprise my friends on here with the finished article but now the cat is almost out of the bag I had better start a build thread.

Sorry Theuns for stealing your own thread, let's just say I will be the test pilot, having never done a loco before.

Cheers,

Ron

T

T. van Vuuren

No worries mate!

I am glad to see it done before I try it :smiling: (sort out all the little problems for the rest of us)

Theuns

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
No worries mate!I am glad to see it done before I try it :smiling: (sort out all the little problems for the rest of us)

Theuns
Thanks for that Theuns!

Like a lamb to the slaughter, here I come.......Upwards and onwards, no place for the faint hearted!

Ron

S

Spyderman_uk

Dapol took over the moulds for the old airfix railway kits and are still producing some of the Locos.

There are a few Steamers and a couple of diesels.

They are all 00 or 1:76 scale.

S

Sky Raider

yes, this is very strange. We see all sorts of models but never trains, anyone know the answer as to why people do not build them.

Andy

M

msm2

I got 2 Revell Locos in stash at the mo,hope to buy the HobbyBoss 1/72 loco when funds allow.

Tony..

S

Sky Raider

Cant wait Tony, i would love to see you guys build one of these, i have never seen one myself, only the kits you can buy that are mass produced by Hornby. Real standard paint job. i bet you guys can make these come alive with no trouble at all.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well at the speed you move Tony i wont need to wait too long then :smiling3:

Andy

R

rkapuaala

If you like the way the old steam engines looked and sounded you should try this

I have modified it a little, but I am working on a smaller accucraft model of an 040 steam engine from the same era and road.

Of course the kit for the 040 was

$395 american but there is nothing to compare with running a real life steam engine that you built yourself.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The Dapol (ex airfix) OO / 1/76 engines and rolling stock make up into nice models, but do need a lot of cleaning up and can have more than their fair share of broken bits in the pack.

The 1/87 'Big Boy' I bought from John's shop recently also makes up into an impressive model.

I have the Revell 1/87 German BR50 light goods loco on the chocks now. ( only 'cos I sniped it on ebay! )

Ron

M

msm2

Well Ron you will beat me to building one. The 'Big Boy' was great.

Tony..

B

Bunkerbarge

I was sniped on something a couple of days ago after putting what I thought was a pretty substantial bid on. To see someone take it from under your nose in the very last second without a chance to rethink is the sort of thing that puts me off using eBay.

M

msm2

Have had that loads of times to me,but I do fix a limit to what I buy on E-Bay. The last loco I got was for about £6 and that included P&P. I was shocked really when I won as there was a few bids already on it.

Tony..

Last edited: