Looking for a very fine brush

S

Stevekir

I am experimenting with very narrow (about 1/3 mm) tape to apply to a canopy to represent the framework. Some success so far. But after applying a final coat of Pledge Klear (to stabilise the tapes) the bars are glossy. I need matt, brushed on. But the fibres of even a very fine brush tend to spread too wide in the droplet of varnish.

Has anyone any experience of using microbrushs?

http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/10-x-Superfine-45700.html#SID=151

These seem to have a very fine tip made in such a way to avoid the spreading hairs of a conventional brush.

I plan to visit Boots tomorrow to see if they have anything (possibly for makeup in the beauty dept.) or an interdental brush made of a fine rod of plastic covered in glued-on very short fibres

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, when I paint water colour pictures and need very fine lines, such as tree branches, I use a brush called a 'Rigger' This brush is capable of spider web sized lines...

Might be worth a look at. You will probably need to go to an artists / craft shop to see one though.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve, when I paint water colour pictures and need very fine lines, such as tree branches, I use a brush called a 'Rigger' This brush is capable of spider web sized lines...Might be worth a look at. You will probably need to go to an artists / craft shop to see one though.
Thanks. I did not know about Rigger brushes. From various sites it seems that 01 in the smallest size. The following offers some in several sizes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daler-Rowney-Aquafine-Brush-Script/dp/B005ZD1PME/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1386975160&sr=8-17&keywords=rigger+brush

Do you think that would do for me?

S

Stevekir

\ said:
can you try using a toothpick?
Genius! It works. A little care is needed not to overload the toothpick, and the edge of the tape prevents the varnish from straying from the top of the tape and down the edge on to the clear part. An example of lateral thinking. I had got hooked on the idea of a brush with fibres.

Many thanks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just had a look in my jam jar of brushes and my rigger brush size is no.2. This produces very fine, pencil line thicknesses of paint.

I can't advise on the other sizes, as I've never used them. If you do get one the secret is to keep them well loaded with paint. They look as though they won't produce thin lines, but they do......Trust me, I'm a Doctor!!

Oops, sorry Steve, John and I's posts crossed......

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I've just had a look in my jam jar of brushes and my rigger brush size is no.2. This produces very fine, pencil line thicknesses of paint.I can't advise on the other sizes, as I've never used them. If you do get one the secret is to keep them well loaded with paint. They look as though they won't produce thin lines, but they do......Trust me, I'm a Doctor!!

Oops, sorry Steve, John and I's posts crossed......
I will try John's toothpick method on the turrets. If that doesn't work out by any chance, I will try a Rigger brush on the canopy. Thanks for the help, and so fast!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

toothpicks dont tend to spread out and mess everything up in delicate work and i learnt this trick from an old modelling friend. happy it worked for you! Good luck!

C

CDW

I have a "rigger" but it's a Japanese script brush so is a lightly firmer and remains "tight" as you use it, it will accept all kind of paint and ink... Some don't!

I also have a few "nail art" brushes, these are very fine and hold their tip excellently

I've tried the tooth pick method and the thing that's wrong with that for me is they don't hold the paint/ink and you have to "load" it a lot more often.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I have a "rigger" but it's a Japanese script brush so is a lightly firmer and remains "tight" as you use it, it will accept all kind of paint and ink... Some don't!I also have a few "nail art" brushes, these are very fine and hold their tip excellently

I've tried the tooth pick method and the thing that's wrong with that for me is they don't hold the paint/ink and you have to "load" it a lot more often.
true- you do have to load it more often

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use a toothpick for cockpit detail, spotting etc, but after one application you have to 're-dunk'. But it is a good tool for adding small amounts.

Si:smiling3:

T

tecdes

\ said:
I plan to visit Boots tomorrow to see if they have anything (possibly for makeup in the beauty dept.) or an interdental brush made of a fine rod of plastic covered in glued-on very short fibres
Also look in Boots hair care department Steve. They market some great brushes there. You should find what you want just waiting for you. Great array of differing types. :D

Laurie

J

Jimbobtheflimbob

i use the citadel fine detail brush:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Fine-Detail-Brush

it is quite good but i can't compare it to anything else as I've never used any other fine detail brush.

Will

L

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
i use the citadel fine detail brush:http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Fine-Detail-Brush

it is quite good but i can't compare it to anything else as I've never used any other fine detail brush.

Will
This is the general type of fine brush that I have settled on since I started this thread about a year ago. This type has fawn-coloured bristles and I note that the one you mention uses Kolinsky sable hair. Mine is Arbeitlung, size 2. (John's shop sells Arbeitlung but it is not clear to me how to choose the size from what looks like a package of several sizes but can't be because of the very low price per brush that would result.) Another of mine is Italeri 51286 size 1.

This type of brush has quite stiff but springy bristles (which Laurie mentions) which keep together and help to control the application of the paint, and the bristles don't spread with age.

I don't do figure work but need to do fine lines etc. I have yet to try microbrushes.

First Name
Adrian
two's and ones, there not fine, nor are the Citadel range I have, but the 5/0 I use for fine detail really are fine :smiling3:

Adrian

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hello Steve, this is not a brush,but may be of some help,if you look in nail art,you can buy 1mm tape, that can

be used for pin stripping on cars,and its only a couple of dollars,

also like Adrian,has said for fine work i use 5/0,with dose very fine line,what i get from a art shop,:rolleyes:

J

John Rixon

I've always found that the biggest problem with really fine brushes is that they have a tendency to being floppy, which is exactly what you don't need! Fascinated by the cocktail stick approach! I'd have a long hard look at this These Galeria brushes are nicely made, but I've always found them a bit too springy for watercolour, possibly making them a perfect fit between a cocktail stick, and a limp mouses tail?

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I've always found that the biggest problem with really fine brushes is that they have a tendency to being floppy, which is exactly what you don't need! Fascinated by the cocktail stick approach! I'd have a long hard look at this These Galeria brushes are nicely made, but I've always found them a bit too springy for watercolour, possibly making them a perfect fit between a cocktail stick, and a limp mouses tail?
Whew! The cheapest at £8.29 (no.1), and No. 10 at £136.95