Magach 6B Gal- converting a Braille-scale M60A3

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alistair
Turning to the mortar itself, I had a root about in the spares box, and found a piece of steel tube from a bottle of Revell Contacta, which was the right diameter for the mortar tube. I then used the rubber sheathing from a phone cable to make rings to slide down over the tube. Another spare PE bracket went on top to make the handle bracket.
Oh you make it sound so straightforward :rolling: In reality it is marvellous micro scratching which requires a very steady hand and results in eyestrain :tongue-out3:
Jim

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Scottie, Jim Steve- thanks for your continued support chaps!

Been struggling to get some bench time recently, but a cooler day today drove me back indoors and a return to the Magach. Today I managed to make the mantlet blazer panels, and the smoke discharger boxes, all from plastic card, PE offcuts and some punched discs:
A28EB282-1908-434C-A230-23D15FDC6E65.jpeg

408D5902-B9EF-429B-B66D-19FB9FA7433A.jpeg
The smoke discharger covers were made from toilet tissue soaked in TET. After a walk in my local woods, I pushed on a little furthen, and made the blazer panels on the turret roof, and started detailing the GAL gunner’s sight (more PE offcuts). Here’s how she sits now:
E26EFEAE-0D9A-4D1D-AB9B-0ED8FD57F652.jpeg
1506FB2D-F003-4BF1-931D-63E0D4C72CF9.jpeg
Still a fair bit to do- 3 MGs and their mounts to make, plus some more brackets and other details on the turret roof to fabricate. I also have to fill the turret basket and make covers and ID panels.
More later gents, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Alistair☠️

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
And the Urdon cupola correction... ;)

Cheers,
Richard

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
And the Urdon cupola correction... ;)

Cheers,
Richard
I have corrected that as much as I’m going to Richard- I straightened the hinge struts and tidied it up as much as I could. The profile is close enough to my eye, and it’s too well-stuck down to replace without causing damage I would end up binning it as a result. It’s my model, and I’m happy enough with it!:smiling4:

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I see your point Alistair and would do the same. :thumb2: The Magach always looks nice with the turret turned sideways with all that armour added on.

Cheers,
Richard

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I see your point Alistair and would do the same. :thumb2: The Magach always looks nice with the turret turned sideways with all that armour added on.

Thanks Richard :thumb2:
It’s the classic “David & Goliath” photo, isn’t it? The one I modelled when I did my 1/35th version. I even saw it being used as a backdrop projection when I went to see Roger Waters live a couple of years ago.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Er...hello? Ok if I come back inside? Hope everyone is ok? :sick:

Well, after 4 months of working from home, where my workbench became my office, my Mojo took a crippling blow. I’m back at the steelworks full-time now, so I get my home workbench back- huzzah!:nerd:

At the start of the lockdown, I was trying to find a way to scratch the turret MGs, but my early efforts were dismal. I had a snoot about on eBay, and found some rather nice metal cast ones in Braille scale, but they were in the Ukraine. 14 weeks later they finally turned up.

Having not had a break since Easter, I have a whole 3 weeks off now (works shutdown), so it’s time to finish the Magach. Here’s the first MG, a lovely M2 .50 cal, complete with mount and ammo can:
DA76FBB2-1868-4A37-BF2D-F4C45434A075.jpeg
I spent the afternoon wrangling the bits together (god they’re small!):
BCCEC5F1-C725-4605-B2F2-9526AC656509.jpeg
I made a mount for the mantlet and a quick dry-fit later:
D471BB6C-59CE-4345-B684-A655D1E40BF1.jpeg
Yep- money well spent there!:smiling:

Got to scratch the remote firing assembly now...

Thanks for looking chaps,

Alistair☠️

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good to have you back Alistair, wondered where the little Magach went to. :thinking: 50 cal. is a beaut. Is that a penny for reference and what is its circumference?

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Al, good to see you back again - was wondering what had happened to you

That .50 looks nicely done

(Richard - that's a UK five pence piece, about 18.5mm diameter)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Which translates into about .728 inches for those of us who are not metrically inclined. BTW Alistair, I wondered what had happened to this build........glad you are back. Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Also for reference, the real gun is 165 cm long, so in 1:72 that would be 23 mm.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Great to see so many of you looking in gents:thumb2: Gets the mojo bubbling nicely once more...

Got a little done today- built the remote servos for the spotting MG:
2697DAC0-1FD5-4D52-AC7C-69BCB0F89CD0.jpeg
Then I decided to make the tarp covers for the turret basket. I cut up a used nitrile glove (pretty sure most of us have a few of those kicking around these days!), and glued it to the basket using CA, and added some straps with scalpel packet foil. I’ll have to make some unit ID panels to sit over this next.
Also made a start on the arm mount for the loader’s MG, but will update that one tomorrow.
695FB092-9617-4682-AAF2-33D78BC5DFC0.jpeg

As ever, thanks for looking chaps,

Alistair☠