Magazine 'Phoenix' plan.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Look out on your bookstands for a magazine,which has inside a plan for a small flying model of the 'Flight of the Phoenix' aeroplane.

This subject has always intrigued me as a subject for scale modelling,but bear in mind that there are different versions of this machine which can be modelled,the original flying machine which was built for the film,and killed stunt pilot Paul Mantz,when it turned over and broke its back following a touch and go,then there is the aircraft assembled from the remains of a Fairchild C-82 Packet and a Beech 18 set of wings which was used for the many ground scenes,and then a museum aircraft which was readied for flight,the type of which escapes me at present,selected because it resembled the 'Phoenix' machine,but I do know that it came out of the museum after not being flown for many years.

The plan is for a small model powered with a Knight & Pridham electric motor,but like all of these drawings there is nothing to stop you scaling it up to make something larger.