Making a boats wake.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm still waiting for the filler to dry, quite pleased for a first try (ok second, but first looked like broken ice). anyway having a play with how I want the wake to look, using cotton wool. right now the question... From the attached pic, you can see the wake I intend, however what do you 'paint' on to make it solid. Ive watched a stack of vids but unsure what to use, dilute PVA, Snow. Cotten Wool.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Can't help with your question Andy. I wouldn't know what to suggest for painting a cotton wool wake....
I form them from the filler.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah, didn't think of doing that, maybe watched too much YouTube. Thanks.

Andy, I would think that's the trouble with YouTube. You can get bogged down with too many ways of doing things.

Personally I never watch it, but prefer to find my own straight forward and uncomplicated ways of doing stuff. My bin is testament to just how many attempts too!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well Andy Ron 570 is in my opinion one of the best seascape moddeler on this forum an if you follow his advise you wont go far wrong
chrisb

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Can't help with your question Andy. I wouldn't know what to suggest for painting a cotton wool wake....
I form them from the filler.

Ron
I know you said use filler for the sea and yes you were right. However not sure I have the skill to make a 'wake' in filler. Had a test play with cotton wool and AK snow and seems to work... I will however leave you with the bragging rights Ron of 'I told you so'.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, re-filler wake, you won't know if you can, until you have a go.

Also, you are finding out that this is the fun part of making waves/wake.The trial and error and a big bin!

Eventually, you will find the method that suits both your own style - and your pocket! ;)

Keep at it. :thumb2:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy, re-filler wake, you won't know if you can, until you have a go.

Also, you are finding out that this is the fun part of making waves/wake.The trial and error and a big bin!

Eventually, you will find the method that suits both your own style - and your pocket! ;)

Keep at it. :thumb2:
Yep agree entirely, however is good to have people with experience to point me in the right direction. Below is a test with the cotton wool and snow. Going to try another adding acrylic medium to the snow.20230926_215749.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That is good, had I seen your post earlier on the cottonwool method I'd have recommended UV resin to be painted on the cottonwool.

Cheers,
Wabble

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That is good, had I seen your post earlier on the cottonwool method I'd have recommended UV resin to be painted on the cottonwool.

Cheers,
Wabble
Morning Wabble, looked at resins originally for the sea, but cost was high. So used AF snow once the cottonwool was set.
Andy