Mark's Revell 1:35 SPz Marder 1A3 IFV (AAGB)

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi

This is Revell's 1:35 German Bundeswehr SPz Marder 1A3 - obtained as a raffle prize at a show.

this is going to be pretty much an OOB build while I wait for some bits for the 1940's Marder III.

I may try something different with the paint job if I can summon up the enthusiasm.

IMG_2289- cropped.JPG

start with the sprue shots

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

No obvious flash and only a couple of tiny sink marks

182 parts - 62 of them make up the wheels!

Mark

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built that when it was newly released and still moulded in an odd green colour of plastic. Nice kit, as I recall — not the very sharpest of detail, but I found it certainly acceptable and didn’t have any problems putting it together as far as I remember.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Mark,

Good to have you along for this GB :smiling4:.
Not a vehicle or kit I’m familiar with so interesting to see it go together.....good luck:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well this is a treat to see you blogging your build Mark. A wonderful subject to build. I wish you all the best with the build and thanks for supporting the GB

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mark,
Count me in for this I built the Tamyia offering many many years ago. I think it was an earlier version as it had a remote MG over the rear deck.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The Tamiya ones are the basic Marder 1 and the Marder 1A2, which has extra parts for the Milan ATGM on the commander’s hatch and a cover plate to put in place of the remote machine-gun turret, as well as some other differences. The main external differences between the 1A2 and 1A3 are that the former has four hatches on the rear deck and firing ports in the sides, while the 1A3 has three hatches and stowage bins instead, and the hatch behind the driver has been simplified.

Having built all three, the Revell one is an entirely different kit, a lot more modern (that said, the Tamiya kits are only about twice as old as the Revell one by now :smiling3:) and better-detailed.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Here are some images of the Marder prototype at Bovington - it is in the Vehicle conservation centre (VCC) so all-round access is not possible

IMGP7527.JPG

IMGP7530.JPG

IMGP7531.JPG

IMGP7534.JPG
IMGP7535.JPG

IMGP7538.JPG

Interesting that the rear is much more raked than the kit body.

IMGP7533.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice. Great work with the wet stuff. Bovington photos are great also. Thanks for sharing

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mark
Well that has gone together well and quickly. I do like the finish.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well done. Came out great. A3 is most common, w/A5 the latest w/improved mine protection & RPG skirts. Three external stowage boxes & straightline skirts are recognition cues. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good. How did you do the winter finish?

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi

the basic 3-tone colours were done with Mr Color Nato set ( picked up cheap at the Bovington Model show) and then stippled with Vallejo chipping fluid. I then masked with silly putty and oversprayed a coat of Vallejo white ( actually slightly off-white ).

Then I scrubbed back the white slightly to give a more worn effect. There seems to be quite a lot of variation in the Bundeswehr winter camo but the common factor seems to be the "crazy-paving" effect.

Mark

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Mark,
Nice result of the winter paintwork, looks great :thumb2:

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks Guys for the comments

This was an enjoyable build with a low parts count - I'm not sure how accurate it is but it went together without any issues. The only non-kit additions are the cam nets and tarp which are green-stuff ( the kit nets looked too solid ). If I was to build another revell one I would probably fill the sponsons as they are open and maybe open up the hatches and do some basic interior. I might have a look at the famous version for comparison