Maskol problem

C

Cooperman69

Hi,

Had a bit of a problem tonight whilst using Maskol for the first time.

I used as directed on the bottle and masked a section of acrylic paint, then airbrushed what I need to do, waited 1 hour to dry and removed the Maskol. On removal it took some of the acrylic paint away from underneath the mask even though the paint it removed was absolutely dry as it was sprayed 3 days ago.

It actually looked like it had dissolved the acrylic slightly on removal.

Have any of you guys had this issue before, is it meant mainly to be used with enamels, and would I benefit from a coat of Klear on acrylic paint before using Maskol?

Atb, Colin.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't bother using klear on it before hand. The maskol will disolve it if you do.

C

Cooperman69

Really!!

Perhaps I won't bother with the stuff then if it's going to dissolve my paint and finish.

Thanks for the tip.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm sure i've read somewhere on a different forum (could even be on this one) that maskol contains ammonia hence why it disolves the klear. But i'd wait to see what the others say first as i'm not 100%

A

andygh

Yes, Maskol is OK'ish for enamel paints but if you really want to use masking fluid I'd try the Vallejo version, it's acrylic based and works pretty well. I tend to use masking fluid only when nothing else will do the job as I'm not keen on the stuff

C

Cooperman69

I didn't realise Vallejo did a masking solution, thanks for the tip.

Colin.

T

tecdes

Thanks for that Andy. I had seen Vallejo did a masking solution but thought, obviously speculated, that it was the same as all the other Maskols.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Vallejo Masking fluid is the only one I use (though rarely). It's Acrylic friendly and easy to remove.

Ian M

W

wanna_be_aviator

I used Maskol once to actually remove Klear from a canopy. This stuff isn't really friendly towards acrylics and Klear. Stay "clear" from it if you are not using enamels only.

C

Cooperman69

Ian,

Just wondered as you mention it's easy to remove, do you put a coat of "Klear" down before using the Vallejo mask or do you apply straight onto the matt paint?

Atb, Colin.

A

andygh

You can put it straight on the paint

I do hope you don't to get carried away with the idea that Klear is a cure-all for everything, it has it's uses but it's not magic.... sadly :wish:

C

Cooperman69

No not at all, just wasn't sure if the Vallejo mask would stick like you know what to a Matt paint finish.

Thanks for the info.

Colin.