Mech kitbash

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's used a lot in my industry, where some of the low surface energy plastics really don't take paint or primer well.

I have a couple of versions to go through a spray gun but the rattle cans are more convenient for us in our hobby of course. Many come with a small amount of silver in them so that you can see where you've sprayed, but this one is completely clear.

If I find the time I'll do a bit of testing over the weekend and see if it helps with kit plastic.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Being entirely scratchbuilt, that gun is a work of art

Okay, so I use the various shades of Halfords Primer for all my undercoating needs, but I don't think I've ever seen the Plastic Primer before

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's very kind of you to say Chris.

The plastic one doesn't come in as many colours, or at least my local doesn't stock them. Normally I can only find white or grey but landed on a tin of oxide red the other day, which will be perfect for the sceme I have in mind for this.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It's used a lot in my industry, where some of the low surface energy plastics really don't take paint or primer well.
It has me wondering if it would be useful for polythene figures, which also have a tendency to shed paint after a while. Of course, I would have had the most use for it when I was about ten years old and, between my brother and me, had all of the Matchbox 1:76 and 1:32 scale sets of those …

If I find the time I'll do a bit of testing over the weekend and see if it helps with kit plastic.
Thanks, that kind of knowledge would probably com in handy. Though if I look up prices for it, it looks rather more expensive than primer, so even if it does help water-based acrylics adhere to plastic, it would probably not really be worthwhile. Still, if you have the time to do a little test, just the knowledge will be good to have.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It has me wondering if it would be useful for polythene figures, which also have a tendency to shed paint after a while. Of course, I would have had the most use for it when I was about ten years old and, between my brother and me, had all of the Matchbox 1:76 and 1:32 scale sets of those …
Not so much of an issue with acrylics as they tend to be more flexible than the enamels of bygone days. One school of thought is to give the poly figures a dilute coat of PVA glue first, so they are, in effect, coated in a flexible plastic film. Me, I just stopped using them, moving over to hard plastic or metal figures ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is another interesting flight of fancy Andy, being carried out with your usual excellent build and finishing techniques.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work andy , the gun looks amazing , cant wait to see what happens next ! Cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Amazing piece of scratchery on the gatling Andy. The turret reminds me of an ant head, shape wise that is. Very interesting...have always liked Sci Fi done this way.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That gun looks superb Andy. That Plastigrip stuff sounds as if it may have benefits. I've never heard of the stuff. Your results will be interesting.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all so much. If I'm managing to impress such a distinguished crowd, I must be doing something right :smiling3:

I've been adding some more pipes & wires, and channelling my inner Steve Jones with a few rivets here & there. If I work like this on the rest of the build I can see this being a long term job, fitted in between the group builds and regular model kits.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You got me sorely tempted Andy!

I got four articulated legs (like the Star Wars AT-ST but much chunkier) floating around somewhere in my Lego spares box. I've also got a complete 6-barrel gun in 32nd scale which would go with them quite nicely I reckon (no way I'd be able to scratch one!) I'll dig 'em out and have a rummage through my kit spares box - see if any ideas come for some sort of walker tank.

Somebody suggested maybe a Sci-Fi what if GB. Any type of Sci-Fi subject - figure, vehicle, boat, rocket or whatever - as long as it's our own idea and not a kit. Anybody want to put their name down?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys, it's been great fun so far.

Got for it Dave, sounds like a plan. I have at least a dozen weapons in the warhammer stuff from my lad. I'll have to restrain myself from using too many!

I'll be using tracks for the feet. I was going to split them and have 2 separate legs, but now I'm toying with just a single leg.

And a GB would be great I reckon. I've been trying to think of parameters to include as many people as possible. If it's only full scratch it might rule some out, but then how do you define a kitbash? Just adding a rocket engine to a spitfire or a laser gun on a tank wouldn't really be in the spirit, but a spitfire cockpit rolling on tank tracks would be awesome.

It hurt my brain trying to think about it so I'm hoping someone else takes the baton. Yes, I'm a coward :tears-of-joy:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Andy that gatlin gun looks superb can you put something near it so can get an idea of its size ?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Chris. I'll get a scale shot up when I get home but for now that's a regular cocktail stick holding it up, the barrels are 2.4mm tubes.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What's going on here then?

1000007504.jpg

1000007505.jpg

I decided to go for a single, tracked "foot"

Cutting the tracks was fun. I'm not sure what they are made of but they were a pain to trim. 2 part super glue has held them together nicely but I added a couple of staples for security. The join will be tidied up but also hidden behind the skirts.