Meng 1/35 Abrams M1A2 TUSK

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Looking good Bob, this is another tank I really ought to have another go at..(did one years ago).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In the process of distressing 50 wheels and cleaning up 216 plastic track links with three sprue connector marks on each one Jakko. Livin the dream LOL
Reminds me of the time I put a set of Elite Models Diehl tracks on an M113. Those were reboxed HKCW tracks, actually, and the first run had slightly undersize holes in the end connectors … 66 links per track, two end connectors per link, two holes per end connector, two tracks per vehicle meant drilling out 528 tiny holes with a pin vice. I was certainly glad when that part of the build was over.

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys,

Didn't get to the bench last week so cracked back into this build over the weekend.

First job was to get the side skirts attached. This mostly went OK, I only broker one of the arms.

1.jpg2.jpg

While that was drying I got on with detail painting the MG's.

3.jpg

Then it was time to get paint on the turret, using the black basing technique.

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

It doesn't show up too well in the pics, but I got some nice tonal variance and that grubby look that Abrams in the desert seem to get.

Whilst that was drying I finally got round to the dreaded individual tracks. All the pins were glued to the links and the pads (4p er link) freed from the sprues. I only got 30 linked together before getting fed up and calling it a day. :smiling5:

9.jpg10.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking at those tracks I would just buy a more sensible replacement set … I sold the tracks that came with the Bronco Ram, which have a similar construction, for exactly that reason :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Based on you putting those tracks together, I’m inclined to agree :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon chaps. :smiling3:

It's been a little while since my last update and not much has been done. :tears-of-joy:

I finished off the tracks and got them painted, they are now ready for weathering.

3.jpg

And I painted up some packs, ammo cans, tarps, etc and got them washed. These will be attached to the Abrams just before the final weathering step (pigment scrub).

2.jpg

And finally the Abrams has had an overall wash of Starship Filth to give it some shadow and depth. It looks very dark at the moment but the next few weathering steps will lighten it back up.

1.jpg

First Name
Wouter
That's a good looking Abrams alright! I like where the weathering is heading to.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
That is looking very nice indeed. Paintjob/weathering is spot on. Lots of fiddly itty-bitty parts and then those track - testing your patience :rolling:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you back at the bench Bob. Look forward to you "lighting£ this one up. Great stuff

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon guys. :smiling3:

I managed to get some bench time in this weekend so pushed on with the weathering. First step was dry brushing with neat oil paint, first a light grey to hit the high points, then a kind of buff (mixed on the fly) over the entire model to lighten it up.

This was followed up with some localised filters which actually don't show up in the pics too well, but in real life some of the panels (in particular the ERA blocks) now have subtly different tones. I also added some dark umber around some of the ERA blocks for wear and staining.

I also got the tracks weathered in with pigments. Eventually I'm planing a base incorporating the other modern desert armour I've built, so didn't go too heavy for the time being.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
My apologies mate I have missed this completely up till now. Really glad I found it, the paint work is very nice indeed i will have to give that technique ago.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Paul. :smiling3:

I like it for desert stuff. By the time it's got the final pigment scrub on it should have that dusty, bleached look with an underlying inground grime layer.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oooooh Yeesssss. Most excellent. PaulE