Meng 1/35 Panther Ausf. A Late production

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I'm in mate. Your ultimate cost dio is still one of the best I have seen.
Paul, that's a very high accolade your putting out ..... humbled, indeed .... a culmination of books ingested at the time..... Still in the bookcase.... and the dio on display in a case....

Last edited:

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Up early, coffee and miliput superfine white lol..... Smearing it out with flat smooth tools dipped in water, left for 10mins, dampen zimmerit tool and carefully emboss.
20230917_090944.jpg
I did these areas first to get a handle on the putty and technique, probably won't be seen...... i found that keeping tool damp stops the ridges clogging, but when that happens i clear out with a toothbrush bought for modelling work.
20230917_090931.jpg
Then you get braver......
20230917_090832.jpg
20230917_090915.jpg
So I'll stop there for an hour or so, to allow this to cure and so i don't handle it, the mantlet will be interesting.
Brunch methinks....
Niho

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
coffee and miliput superfine white lol..... Smearing it out with flat smooth tools dipped in water
That's a new one on me. I'll have to try your coffee - milliput mix. It's certainly worked well.
Joking aside the zimm looks great. It will look superb under paint and weathering.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s looking good, though rather you than me doing that with Milliput :smiling3: I’ve found much the same technique but with putty from a tube to work well too.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That's a new one on me. I'll have to try your coffee - milliput mix. It's certainly worked well.
Joking aside the zimm looks great. It will look superb under paint and weathering.
Thanks Jim, second stage funished and having another break, looks rough but i think thats the character of it, better than a strictly uniform PE or 2D decal kit.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That’s looking good, though rather you than me doing that with Milliput :smiling3: I’ve found much the same technique but with putty from a tube to work well too.
Jacko, I've use water on miliput for years, I'm rolling it out between greaseproof paper to about 1mm thick, cuttng a piece, putting it in the middle of work area, wetting it and spreading it out, give it a few mins to dry then emboss..... it seems to work.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've use water on miliput for years
The thing is that I have a strong aversion to using Milliput in general :smiling3: Only the white kind is sort of usable at all, IMHO, but difficult to mix because of the colour.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
A couple more eves doing zimmerit, only glacis left to do tonight.
Happy days20230920_070307.jpg
R/H turret side.
20230921_065531.jpg
L/H turret side.
20230921_065514.jpg
Lower glacis and ball mg mount
This process has been fun, no worse that in 72nd, easier having the 'tools'.
Niho

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Certainly looks very realistic Nick. All the aftermarket zimm I've come across looks too neat and complete. I'm sure in real life it wouldn't last long before it became damaged.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Certainly looks very realistic Nick. All the aftermarket zimm I've come across looks too neat and complete. I'm sure in real life it wouldn't last long before it became damaged.
I have a few Panzerwrecks books, and yes some applications look like they were done during bombing raids, put it this way ..... I wouldn't want to slide down the glacis.....:dizzy:

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Cheers all for tagging along, when this is near done it'll be going over to Dioramas Under Construction...
last night i only did a little, had the Bton Europa game on....
So i guess the zimmerit will be finished at clubmeet tonight lol
20230922_070040.jpg
Not glued hull top and bottom together, reason being is to do wheels and tracks, but I'll have to carve the base foam next to set the swingarms before wheels etc.
All good in sleepy Sussex
Niho