MENG - T90A (This is going to take a while.....)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I have made a start on this. I've been wanting to crack into it since the postman "Brung It" two weeks ago...... I decided to start with the tracks. Now they look to be very much like those on the real one as far as I can see from the photos I've found...... Each link is made from 3 pieces and two joining pieces to the next link.......... Then there are the "pads for each link separately I've started cutting off and cleaning up the main link parks from 2 sprues (only 6 more to go :rolleyes:smiling3: ........ So I have resigned myself to the tracks probably taking me "half my life" .... Ho hum.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
They work a treat when there done stay together well and sag good so stick with its worth the hours of cut clamp cut clamp cut clamp..

D

dougie

pics asap haha! hope its a fun build even if the tracks are a little tedious!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Indy tracks:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

W

Weeman0000

I love magic tracks! altho i agree they are rather tedious to get together :sad: .

How do you plan on "painting" them? i dont want to risk actual paint so im applying washes until they are covered. so they can still move without cracking paint or anything like that.

As stated above, PICS! :smiling3:

P

Polux

Photos!!!!

Well mate, good luck with it!! In general looks an excellent kit....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good luck with the tracks and watch that carpet monster,if you just and get into it,will go faster than you think once the rhythm sets in ;)

pics plz you know we all like lot of pics :D

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks All......... I'll post some pics when I have something to photograph. Right now I have lots of "itty bitty" little bits in old takeaway containers.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I love magic tracks! altho i agree they are rather tedious to get together :sad: .
How do you plan on "painting" them? i dont want to risk actual paint so im applying washes until they are covered. so they can still move without cracking paint or anything like that.

As stated above, PICS! :smiling3:
Painting ??? .......... Well the tracks as far as I can tell from looking at the photos are a sort of semi gloss black, with a bit or steel showing through.......... and the rubber pads are black............. I agree about gumming them up with paint. So right now I'm not sure........... I'll see what they look like when they are together. I think probably as they are already black maybe a dry brush with a metallic grey. The rubber pads are separate so they can have a NATO Black, which gives a good rubber type finish. ...........

I'm not planning on much in the way of weathering on this kit.......... Maybe a "parade" build.

W

Weeman0000

Lucky you then, my magic tracks are green and the washes seem to give it a semi gloss, shiny look and a sticky feel. Wonder if a matt varnish would take the sticky-ness away but still allow them to bend.?

D

dougie

\ said:
Lucky you then, my magic tracks are green and the washes seem to give it a semi gloss, shiny look and a sticky feel. Wonder if a matt varnish would take the sticky-ness away but still allow them to bend.?
What type of paint did you Use for the wash? Did you put oil based spirits straight on to the plastic?

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
What type of paint did you Use for the wash? Did you put oil based spirits straight on to the plastic?
MiG enamel dark wash :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
MiG enamel dark wash :smiling3:
I think that's why it's gone sticky Jason.......... Oil (Mainly turps) washes are quite invasive and should really be used over acrylic paints ........ Even then, sparingly as they will eat into the plastic. I had a chassis come apart once because I was a bit over zealous with the wash........ I'm not sure what would be best to use now over the wash........ But I'm sure someone on here will help........... I'd certainly let it dry and not do anything with it until someone else "pipes up".

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I have made a start on this. I've been wanting to crack into it since the postman "Brung It" two weeks ago...... I decided to start with the tracks. Now they look to be very much like those on the real one as far as I can see from the photos I've found...... Each link is made from 3 pieces and two joining pieces to the next link.......... Then there are the "pads for each link separately I've started cutting off and cleaning up the main link parks from 2 sprues (only 6 more to go :rolleyes:smiling3: ........ So I have resigned myself to the tracks probably taking me "half my life" .... Ho hum.
............ Another two Sprues this evening ........... Halfway there :rolleyes:

W

Weeman0000

All my washes are vigorously applied, doesn't seem to hurt an enamel painted surface, but i guess with the tracks being unpainted to begin with its given it a shine. Maybe pigments will help, but then you have the problem of touching the tracks and getting pigment everywhere :smiling3: Lordly why is to so difficult :P

Next model i do i will be using the airgun because with this hot weather and crappy paints things need two coats so two very light coats from the airgun should be better than 2 brush coats. If it works out really well i think a more diluted version could be used on tracks. Not thick enough to flake off once the tracks are bent but enough to cover the plastic. Fingers crossed anyway.

[Edit] Any pics yet? I know tracks are hardly the best thing to be taking pictures off but i wanna see these 3pc links :P

D

dougie

\ said:
I think that's why it's gone sticky Jason.......... Oil (Mainly turps) washes are quite invasive and should really be used over acrylic paints ........ Even then, sparingly as they will eat into the plastic. I had a chassis come apart once because I was a bit over zealous with the wash........ I'm not sure what would be best to use now over the wash........ But I'm sure someone on here will help........... I'd certainly let it dry and not do anything with it until someone else "pipes up".
What I was thinking... Good shout

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
All my washes are vigorously applied, doesn't seem to hurt an enamel painted surface, but i guess with the tracks being unpainted to begin with its given it a shine. Maybe pigments will help, but then you have the problem of touching the tracks and getting pigment everywhere :smiling3: Lordly why is to so difficult :P
Next model i do i will be using the airgun because with this hot weather and crappy paints things need two coats so two very light coats from the airgun should be better than 2 brush coats. If it works out really well i think a more diluted version could be used on tracks. Not thick enough to flake off once the tracks are bent but enough to cover the plastic. Fingers crossed anyway.

[Edit] Any pics yet? I know tracks are hardly the best thing to be taking pictures off but i wanna see these 3pc links :P
View attachment 117936

Knocks the shine right off, just set them, paint them {steel} wash them {rusty brown} dry brush {Steel} let dry , then a coat of this stuff and you're done;)
th?&id=JN.gftx6AByUT4S1QNpdfyPlw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

S

steve scan

Always spray my tracks matt black then use Mig Ammo track colour on them and then dry brush some wear on them.