metal primers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Although I really like Stynylrez primer and they say it is suitable for PE parts I'm not so sure. I find that a subsequent acrylic top coat is rather fragile. I notice that there are primers available specifically for PE/metal parts, John at the shop has a few. I would be very grateful for your thoughts on metal primers, especially if you have used one with favourable results.
I ask now as my half-track build has a fair bit of PE and also metal gun barrels.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Although I really like Stynylrez primer and they say it is suitable for PE parts I'm not so sure. I find that a subsequent acrylic top coat is rather fragile. I notice that there are primers available specifically for PE/metal parts, John at the shop has a few. I would be very grateful for your thoughts on metal primers, especially if you have used one with favourable results.
I ask now as my half-track build has a fair bit of PE and also metal gun barrels.
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Hello Jim,
Mainl I just spray with car primer from Hycote (Amazon), for a combination of all metal, plastic resin together, other than that it is Mr Metal Primer which you can brush or spray, but beware of the fumes...
Cheers
Mike.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I've never had any real worries with the primers I've used, either polyurethane or lacquer, I do have a jar of mr Metal primer but have never used it.
A true metal primer has an etching compenent to eat into the metal a bit and provide more "tooth".

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Any automotive primer should do you Jim. It is formulated to stick to sheet metal after all….trouble is, they are aerosol spray can based. If you want something to go through an airbrush, I’d recommend cellulose lacquer based primers. They were used on cars for ages before acrylics turned up, so stick well to metal. In fact, I think they are still the best primers around for general modelling.