Metallics

M

made2000

I just bought some model master metallics aluminum plate (buffing) I saw some very good finishes using it One site I checked said dont primer I usually primer everything should I or Not with the metalizers. any additanal tips on using it. Also do I buff after ever coat or after the last one.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I just bought some model master metallics aluminum plate (buffing) I saw some very good finishes using it One site I checked said dont primer I usually primer everything should I or Not with the metalizers. any additanal tips on using it. Also do I buff after ever coat or after the last one.
*** Normally no primer is needed as the plastic surface lends itself well to any buffing process,just make sure that there is no grease on the surface by giving a quick wipe with a lint free cloth and a tiny amount of surgical spirit,spray on the first coat of buffing material and allow to dry for at least 48 hours,next attempt the buffing process working a small area at a time,different areas of metal panelling such as the die-electric ones on aircraft can be simulated by laying a draughtsmans foil mask along the panel line,buff straight up to this simulating the riveted panels on aircraft structures,normally one good coat should be sufficent and there is a danger if further coats are added that the build up will not polish up as well.As always use a slave subject such as an old model to experiment with first,learn from this what your own and the materials limitations are.Some materials slightly etch themselves into the plastic,dont worry this is all part of the process and the first buff will soon evolve into a shiny surface.Dont forget to look into the products sold for embellishing picture frames,they make some good alternatives to model finishes and are much cheaper.

M

made2000

Wow I used the model master metallics aluminum plate and It went on as smooth as glass! very impressed I spent a lot of time on sanding and was astonished on how smooth it was with a total of 3 coats each about 1/2 coverage it looks great thanks.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Wow I used the model master metallics aluminum plate and It went on as smooth as glass! very impressed I spent a lot of time on sanding and was astonished on how smooth it was with a total of 3 coats each about 1/2 coverage it looks great thanks.
*** Brilliant ! see it is all about practise and the confidence to experiment,pleased that it worked for you.

N

new to trains

on a seperate but similar topic if you are ever spraying 'silver' or gold' paints and you want the finish to be deeper and richer- then often standard primer is not an ideal base coat......

i was given a tip many years back, which i have often used to great effect, the first is now obvious, but to get a deepper finish with silver paint use a black base coat....., but to get a richer deeper finish on gold spray use a red base coat.......

next time you are setting up your airbrush or spray gun do a test and see the difference ............the finishes are stronger, richer and deeper in colour....

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
on a seperate but similar topic if you are ever spraying 'silver' or gold' paints and you want the finish to be deeper and richer- then often standard primer is not an ideal base coat......i was given a tip many years back, which i have often used to great effect, the first is now obvious, but to get a deepper finish with silver paint use a black base coat....., but to get a richer deeper finish on gold spray use a red base coat.......

*** Thats a really good tip NTT,this is a bit like artists who paint on a black canvas,in fact Rolf Harris was using a black finish the other week on television,the reason was to bring out the vibrance of the colours,remember those old mirrors,well they had a sort of red lead backing to them,this is something that I will certainly use in the near future.:respect1:

M

made2000

Gonna try using Aflcad11 on this other one I have everone seems to love it. Can you mask it better than the Model master metallic Also according to the afclad site I should use the Gloss black like above not primer I hated the metaliser sealing stuff dulled it up and looked grainy So gonna try aflacad hope its more durable.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Gonna try using Aflcad11 on this other one I have everone seems to love it. Can you mask it better than the Model master metallic Also according to the afclad site I should use the Gloss black like above not primer I hated the metaliser sealing stuff dulled it up and looked grainy So gonna try aflacad hope its more durable.
*** Go easy with the masking,best thing to do if you use masking tape is to draw it through your fingers,this reduces the tackiness and stops that vicious pull on the metallic finish,yes use the gloss black in preference to primer,the gloss must work better for some reason.

Just go easy,and remember before commiting anything new to your pride and joy use a test hack model first to try things out.