Mezg Gnoll Commander (75mm) Printed and Painted

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
So recently I discovered a whole new world, Resin 3D Printing and its just WOW, so many possibilities.

With this thread I show the work flow for this 75mm print from White Werewolf Tavern and then my attempt at painting it.

While the printing learning curve can be a little steep to begin with its relatively smooth once you understand the principles.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 111438.png

So once you have the STL files you start here in Chitubox, a free slicer to prepare your print. This was a pre-supported Model and in Chitubox you can scale, mirror and add your own supports.

IMG_20201114_202222.jpg

So here we are almost at the end of one of component pieces, this is on my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro.

IMG_20201115_102400.jpg

So post print processing is a thing and while there are water washable Resins out there I prefer not to use them, so this leaves me to have to clean the print with IPA. Before I came across this Anycubic Wash and Cure Station, a god send and simplifies the whole process. With the tub filled with IPA I hang the build plate into the fluid pop the cover on and select the wash cycle and off it goes. Six minutes later the job is done and its also cleans the build plate as a bonus at the same time.

IMG_20201115_110610.jpg

So here we washed and time to remove the model from the plate, I use the plate knife in the picture to ease it off, others use heaver scrappers but can results in scoring the plate.

Once its off the build plate I set it in a tub of hot water for a few minutes and then back to the wash and cure station.

IMG_20201115_110958.jpg

The tub has been removed and the turntable put in its place, select a cure time and 6 minutes later the UV light has fully cured the model. Alternatively people lash up their own cure styations with a UV light source or leave it in direct sun light which can be a bit hit and miss depending on where you live.

IMG_20201115_111822.jpg

So here we are are, all component parts printed and after a little clean up its ready to prime, the little fella in the back is just for scale and sorry the phone camera isn't the best.

More to come after I get the paint job underway.

Any questions about this printing lark fire away, its great fun.

Warren

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks interesting. How do these paint up?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm impressed, Warren.
I have only ever used high-end resin printers like the Form 2 & 3 and commercial SLA.
What is the resolution of the Elegoo?

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
I'm impressed, Warren.
I have only ever used high-end resin printers like the Form 2 & 3 and commercial SLA.
What is the resolution of the Elegoo?

Hi Neil

Its a 2K LCD screen / 1620 x 2560 panel. Importantly though its a Mono Screen so layer cure time is down to 2.8 Secs for the Resin I am using.

Warren

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Warren

Are the products used toxic and do they produce strong smells?

John

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Warren

Are the products used toxic and do they produce strong smells?

John

Hi John

So the Resin you won't want to drink or get on your skin. When needing to empty or clean the VAT I will wear a pair of gloves.

The current crop of printers all now have filters so the resin fumes are greatly reduced. I don't smell mine at all, although I do have it in a little attic room. The most potent stuff is the IPA to be honest.

Warren

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well I have to say I am really impressed with the resolution(and the painting, natch....).
So this was printed at 0.05mm?
I have been a believer for a long time as many people know, but this is the first 'affordable' hobby level print I've seen that makes me think it might be worth investing my own money. I am very lucky in that I have access to a Form3 through work, which is capable of amazing things but it would be good to have a printer of my own, and the Form 3 is WAAAY out of my league!
I look forward to seeing the rest of it

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work on the head Warren. It shows the detail of the sculpt beautifully.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Well I have to say I am really impressed with the resolution(and the painting, natch....).
So this was printed at 0.05mm?
I have been a believer for a long time as many people know, but this is the first 'affordable' hobby level print I've seen that makes me think it might be worth investing my own money. I am very lucky in that I have access to a Form3 through work, which is capable of amazing things but it would be good to have a printer of my own, and the Form 3 is WAAAY out of my league!
I look forward to seeing the rest of it

Hi Neil

Since getting the Mars Pro 2 I have been blown away at what can be done.

Its on Amazon for £275 while the one that came before it is around £230 at the minute. The Pro 2 has the Mono Screen so faster cure times.

Warren

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks fantastic Warren. Your great painting really brings out the detail in this one. It really cracks the layer issue from other types of 3d printers doesn’t it.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Really nice Warren.Im always amazed at the 3D guys work.Certainly getting more advanced and useful.
Excellent indeed.
Richard