Micro Milling/Router bits

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have been trying to mill/router some holes into some plastic for the last few days, trying various items such as micro drill bits and hypodermic needles. The drill bits are ok but very bendy and fragile. The needles do work but you have to be ultra careful with them.

Question to the masses is. Are there (affordable) tools out there that can mill/router elongated holes out there that are between 0.3mm and 1.0mm?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
There are Dremel bits that I've used in the past, but not model related, I'll have to check the size.
What tool are you using?
Edit: The bits I have are 2.0mm, but I've just found these.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What tool are you using?
A pin vice at the moment. I need control over the tools as the elongated holes are very small

Never thought about jeweler engraving tools before. Would these work?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
A pin vice at the moment. I need control over the tools as the elongated holes are very small

Never thought about jeweler engraving tools before. Would these work?
A jewellers coping saw might work, feed the blade through a hole and then attach to the handle,

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I think maybe i might have described what i am trying to incorrectly. The 'hole' i am trying to make does not go all the way through the plastic. I suppose i am trying to scribe/chisel/mill a gouge out of the plastic. I can make a series of 0.3mm holes and try to connect them but the hole looks as rough as a badger's backside.

I might just have to try and persevere with the drill bit and needle.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If I understand this ( I may not) what you are trying to do is basically cut a groove into a workpiece. If so, something like an acrylic sheet cutter or Olaf P cutter might suit. They were called scrawkers in my day, and you had to make your own, but these days they are available off the shelf…... Tamiya’s panel scriber is just an expensive version of the same tool……..
They work on the pull stroke, cutting a spiral of plastic out of the groove. They don’t leave a ridge after use like a scriber……

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Whe ive had to make small holes and had trouble with the drill bit moving around on the surface ive heated a needle with a lighter and just melted the hole i need,this might work for you.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Know exactly what your attempting to do , known as a slot cut in woodworking.The only thing I can add is surely the cutter must melt the plastic as high speed is needed , when routing wood the cutter speed is around 18000 rpm depending on the dia of the cutter .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I don't know what the surface is like,or how many you want to do, but have you considered milling out a larger area and then filling up to a piece of 0.3mm styrene the length of the slot? Make the styrene over depth and use a release agent. When the filler is dry remove the styrene and make good the surface .
Good luck with whichever method you settle on.
N

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Think i might have found something that resembles something that i could use.

Thanks for the advice guys
Was just going to suggest these, for once I looked first to see what others have said.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alan, I have these router bits from Japan at 0.5 and 0.7 mm. Use them for my figure sculpting mouths and ears.
20221221_030215.jpg
Haven't seen them anywhere else except upstairs on this corner shop along the main Akihabara road near Yellow Submarine.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Those are dental burs Richard….open wide….this won’t hurt!