Micro Set and Sol caps crumbling

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Micro Set, Sol and their other products come in bottles with white plastic caps that can crumble after some years. After a thread on another forum, I realised mine weren’t the only ones that suffered from this, and began looking for a way to avoid this.

8E9892FA-434A-4A25-A7E5-5892F6C18505.jpeg

These are glass bottles for some kind of homeopathic tablets that my mother takes, and as a result, she’s got dozens of these bottles left over that she uses for all kinds of things. After washing the tablet dust out of them and letting them air-dry overnight, I poured the contents of the Micro Set and Sol bottles, that were both over three-quarters full, into them and found it fits very nicely. These caps are metal with a gasket inside, so they’re not going to dry out. Marking them prominently with what’s inside is a must, though :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not UV stable! If they're kept in sunlight/daylight the plastic degrades. If you see black caps, they have a black filler, which blocks UV light. If you keep them in a box, this won't happen! Speaking from some experience, with white plastic hose clips failing in sunlight & causing problems - solved by changing to black clips!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Micro Set, Sol and their other products come in bottles with white plastic caps that can crumble after some years. After a thread on another forum, I realised mine weren’t the only ones that suffered from this, and began looking for a way to avoid this.

View attachment 463155

These are glass bottles for some kind of homeopathic tablets that my mother takes, and as a result, she’s got dozens of these bottles left over that she uses for all kinds of things. After washing the tablet dust out of them and letting them air-dry overnight, I poured the contents of the Micro Set and Sol bottles, that were both over three-quarters full, into them and found it fits very nicely. These caps are metal with a gasket inside, so they’re not going to dry out. Marking them prominently with what’s inside is a must, though :smiling3:
I’ve had that happen as well, quite a few years ago. Easy enough to get replacement poly bottles from places like eBay these days though.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I've had that happen on a few plastic caps. They just crumble into pieces. Lucky your mum believes in staying healthy :hungry:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here you go.....proof positive that the plastic caps on Micro-sol are constructed from stable material. The bottle on the left, I purchased back in the 1980's when I started doing decal work on my HO Model RXR locomotives. I just finished using it up this year. The replacement is on the right. I have always kept this stored in a drawer and have had no trouble with the cap.P1012406.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Whereas mine always stand on my work surface, next to the Tupperware box with water that I use to apply decals :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I will knock mine over and spill most of it before they ever get old enough to worry about that :flushed:
HA!! Couldn't agree more!!.....
I'm on my 2nd bottle of SOL in 3 years for EXACTLY that reason!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The other way is drill a couple of suitably sized holes in an off cut of 2 x1 and put them in there…….