Micro sol ??

W

Winker

Hi does anyone have opinions of micro set, sol and liquid decal film. I have never used any of them as I relied on other methods but I think I may give them a go. It is especially of interest if anyone can explain the different functions of each.

Thanks

Winker  ;)

D

dubster72

Tom's exactly right Neil. Microset is designed to be applied to the model on the place where a decal should go to prepare the surface. Microsol softens the decal so that it conforms to the surface features; panel lines, zimmerit, nuts & bolts etc.

However, nothing beats a good,clean, glossy surface when applying any decals. Get that right & most of the potential pitfalls will be avoided.

A

Awins

Hi Neil ive recently started using Micro Sol and Set and cant fault either. They are easy to use too. Before I used Humbrol Decal Fix but found this very aggresive on acrylic painted surfaces even with a clear coat applied over the paint.

Stick with Sol and Set you cant go far wrong in my opinion.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You also mentioned Micro liquid decal film.  You use this with old or fragile decals.  You paint a couple of coats over the decals before cutting them out to help hold them together while applying them.  It does work OK for all but the worse decals.  Personally I prefer to throw poor, fragile decals such as those from Trumpeter and get paint masks or aftermarket decals instead.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have just bought micro sol blue/red to try after using vallejo decal fix for years to give it a try .

W

Winker

Thanks to all. I do a gloss coat to put them on but some of the cheaper and older kits are suffering. Thought I'd try something else to see if I can cure it.

I have noticed a particular problem with silvering and non adhering on italeri kits.