Mig-21PF Monogram 1/48

T

treyzx10r

I needed a simple quick fun easy build while awaiting more a/m goodies for the B-17 project and for a $12 kit this fits the bill nicely. A repop of a 1977 kit and is typical of the Monogram kits released in that era,raised panel lines and less than perfect fit along with some light flash. A very basic affair in the office which is a big relief ,and its a closed canopy build so no worries!

Things are going quickly and after some sanding ,filling and minor filing it wo'nt be long before the paint goes down. Just doing the box version 'yellow 23' from 1964 . The canopy fit is less than good so that may take a bit to sort out,but its still a fun build so far.

I'm just doing it oob ,no frills! cheers Trey

First Name
Dave
I didn't know Monogram did a Mig21.As this was issued during the Cold War I wonder how accurate it is?.Certainly looks like a Mig.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Trey, a change of pace from the Boeing. Doing an easy in-between kit helps to recharge to enthusiasm I find, particularly when one is stuck in a complex longer-term project.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OOH! a russian , i'm in! Great start trey , i love a good old monogram. Dave , i think this kit started life as a revell release in the late 70's, and must have been re-issued in a monogram box after the two companies merged. As for accuracy its not bad , just a little light in detail areas like the cockpit, but then again mot 70's kits were!!Its great to see a PF too , the second generation of the mig 21 , which hasnt been very well represented in kit form over the years . Looking forward to seeing this one progress , is it going to be silver trey ,or light blue/ green? cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Dave thanks ,after some on line searching the outline appears to be correct as for the details not so sure.

Ian thanks,been watchin' your scooter build and its looking sharp. I see what you mean about the office.

Joe you are so right this was a much needed recharge and thanks !

Tony thanks,the kit actually comes with 2 tails one for the PF and one that from what I could find on line would go with the H version

Got the seams primed

Sanded ready for paint

T

treyzx10r

I've gotten the finish sanding done and the pitot and antenae on ,off to the man cave for some preshading next

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good trey! shows off the very clean , lithe lines of the early 21's. Is it going to be a wheels up ,in flight jobbie ?

p.s. careful with that pitot!!! cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Tony thanks! I hear that about the pitot tube , it does protude quite a bit and is just asking for my ham fists to knock it off(like I did the dorsal antenae). Yes its a gear up build,going on the Man cave ceiling(or Connors room if I can sneak it up there quickly)

Sprayed the interior color over the canopy

Then started my preshade

Next the bottom color ,just some testors flat sky blue followed by a light dusting of some really thinned flat grey

Masked the bottom and shot some testors od green darkened with some flat black,colors came out close to what they should be I think. Unmasked and ready for some decals!

D

Danny

This is looking really good trey...sharp and simple lines...Loved your pre-shading...havnt quite mastered the art of that yet...

Danny

T

treyzx10r

Mig-21PF 1/48 Monogram 'completed'

Epic bench fail! I spilled some solvent on the almost done Ruskie bird and had to backtrack a bit!

Before

So sanded it all back down,broke off every bit of protruding detail and knocked the canopy off to add salt to the open wound!

Of course had to rescribe as all the raised details were sanded away during the repair

Thankfully the decal sheet came with a second option for the Hindustan built version,so new scheme time

Wrapped it up and weathered ,not a top shelf build but will look okay hanging in the Man cave

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OUCH!! Dont you just love it when that happens!! Great rescue though Trey , it looks real nice in the Indian scheme. Brilliant flight shots too, although looking at the last one ,I think his engine needs a tune up , it looks to be running a little rich !!!!LOL!!!! cheers tony

M

mobear

well played trey,now looks menacing,love the after burner effect,and the camo is lovely 5*s from me,

mobear

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice recovery Trey, it doesn't look too bad at all in that Indian scheme.

S

Sky Raider

Excellent job Trey. well worth the extra effort. Top marks pal.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Tony thanks and I'll have a talk with the crew chief about that rich blow torch!

Joe yea really wanted the ruskie version but the hindu scheme aint too hateful and now that its hanging in the man cave its growing on me a bit,thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Andy really appreciate that!