Mike's Victory Challenge

M

Mike

Well, I suppose I did start the damned thing!

So this is where I am so far!

There was loads of flash on this version, but all gone from sails and hull now. I notice compared to the other builds I'm painting the individual sections, gluing together and then touching up when done. I did consider putting the hull together but was too difficult to hold and paint, so I bought some clamps, but I've started, so I'll finish.

Masking tape really helps. For those not sure how damned small and fiddly this bastard is, that's 6mm tape. SIX MILLIMETERS!!! This is a proper bastard to paint! Anywho, the black wash is great and I much prefer this lighter brown than the one supplied in the instructions. I've got some wide flat brushes now too which is helping create a smoother finish. The yellow was applied when I was drunk with an airbrush, I had so much fun! Unfortunately I must have a leak somewhere as the propellant has now run out so I couldn't use it on the brown

White undercoat, lighter brown and detail brushes make this much more appealing and I'm really happy with these results.

Waiting for everything to dry now, then painting the dark brown wooden beams and finishing off the black lines and cannons on the hull, then I think I'll have finished.

Will get back to this when the Grand Prix is over!

M

Mike

OK, so did a bit more after the game

Blurry pic because it's dark here and the flash looks rubbish, but the sails to the right had masking tape used and it made a massive difference, took ages to get it down and lined up properly, but turns out it's well worthit, so lesson learnt.

This pic demonstrates just why I've challenged people, the fit is so bad I feel the need to use all the clamps I have! Previous builds have been masked by sails, but I know they've been rubbish fits, but this is putting the right pressure on that it seems alright. It'll need touching up after, but looking good.

So the above picture has no relevance to the build at all. I bought an £8 kit, realised it was shite and now I have all the above, and an airbrush...

I appear to be hooked!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's not fair Mike, you, Ian and Steve are having all the fun. I'll be getting mine soon, so will be able to join in.

I don't know what you are all going on about the fit for. Who wants a kit that falls together like Tamdemyleri does, where's the fun in that?

We're supposed to be modellers, not stick it together easylike merchants, so stop moaning and push on!

Best wishes,

Horatio Nelson

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dear Horatio,

I very much like kits that fit together like those Tamigawatrumpy ones. Have fun with your man o' war, I know I am :smiling3:

Yours

Captain Thomas Masterman Hardy GCB

M

Mike

Dear all, apologies in advance for the language in this post.

^$&$%^& £"$%^ $^& ^%%^ %^%£^ $%£%$ *(* *&%%^$£ £$"£$"%^£$ ^$£* *(^$*(^ &$^£%£$ %"$^£"$%^ $&*(($& £^$&%$% "$%^"$^& *(& %$$%" ^"%&*$( *(^ ^&$%$"£ $% %^*%( (*^& *%" £$$% ^& %*^&&*^ %$ "£$%

I've just glued on one of the sails in the wrong position so it can't be fit to the ship and now I've removed a bucket load of paint trying to recover.

M

Mike

Ok, I think I salvaged it, who knew! That said the sails are REALLY lose on this one, none of the other builds I've done have been anywhere near as bad as this, going to take yet another day for the glue to dry before I can touch it again to put the mizzenmast in place. Nearly there...

Starter kit my arse.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You've really started summat with this one Mike! I shall blame you if Airfix re-release this heap of junk as a result of the interest generated here!

Gern

M

Mike

Right, nearly done. Just need decals and to touch up a couple of bits of paint, brown needs to go where the sails meet the deck. Couple of touch-ups on the deck needed, the gap at the bow I've not photographed because it's that bad needs fixing.

Then I'm done

M

Mike

Right I'm about done now, waiting for glue to dry.

Decals applied, although one you can't see is upside-down, but I can't be arsed to fix it!

Black lining touched up on the inside of the vessel, previously you could see the grey of the plastic

Touched up where the masts hit the deck so these look a bit more natural now, the weird I don't know what it's supposed to be thing attached to the bow.

Waiting for the glue to dry and then I'll post in the completed ships section. Thanks again to every who did take up the challenge though, got some great tips!! I may do a further build once I've done a few more of these, but frankly I'm bored of HMS Victory now, think I'll go build a Concorde, it's almost all white and looks significantly easier than this "Starter Kit" !!!

M

Mike

Also, and I don't know how I've done this, but the masts are clearly in the wrong order as they're supposed to be the same bloody height!

And for those who might be interested, here's builds 2 - 5 from right-to-left. We don't talk about build 1. That went in the bin...

Last edited: