Mini Art MkIII Valentine V in 1/35

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I had intended to just get on with this and then post the pictures afterward. However a clear up in the camera card I sort of deleted the pictures of the build. I have one so I s'pose the build will start there. Hey its a tank and we all know how that goes, right?

Wronge.

I would like to say that this fairly new kit is amazing. Also a few questions arise as to why. Let me explain. ALL the openings and hatches and doors can be posed open. Fantastic. The Driver compartment is full of detail, the turret like wise. One thing. NO ENGINE even though all the panels and hatches can be opened. most strange.

I have spent a couple of hours a night getting to where I am now. A more or less paint ready hull, running gear and starting on the turret.

View attachment 40021

For the real tankies here, I can not recommend the kit highly enough. The whole package is very well made and the detail top dollar, except for that missing Engine. I dare say that the more dedicated builder would scratch one up or find a resin one. (Bugger why didn't I think of that before I nailed the top down!!!).

To be honest I bought it due to the camouflage. The tank I will be building is ADONIS which was stationed on Malta and has the Islands unique dry wall camouflage.

So due to the lack of pictures a quick run down. The Drivers compartment is well equipped with peddles, gear shift, steering controls and a couple of instrument panels and periscopes.

Main Drive wheels are built up from a good ten parts and large road wheels from three parts while the small ones are only two part. Not very logical as they missed the chance to make all the rubber rings as a separate part and ease the painting process....

The Boogies are like wise made up of around ten parts each. Over doing it? Maybe but they look the part when done. Some of the parts could have a better construction as a couple of parts fell off! So the idea of a fully mobile boogy unit went out the window.

Oh the tracks are of the individual link type...... :confused:

As I progress further, I will take and post the photos along the way.

Oh one other thing. The instructions. Although clearly drawn are a bit confusing and the build order could be better ( IMHO). There are NO paint call outs in them.

So I am guessing that all the inside compartments are white/off white.

More later.

Ian M

View attachment 43814

IMAG0161.jpg

D

dubster72

Looks nice Ian so I'll be watching you put this one together.

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like a great kit Ian and the dry wall camouflage sounds really interesting and different. I don't think I've ever seen this camo so I will definitely be keeping up with events on this thread.

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to see what the camo was like, you can have a look here: Joint dioramas - Page 6

Ian M

A

andygh

Thanks for the recommendation Ian, this one will definitely go on the list. I do like that Malta cammo too, should look fantastic

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been at it again for an hour or so. And I remembered to take and save the photos this time :confused:

I think this is one of those kits you, (well me at least) will use a lot of time on, there are just so many parts to it, and most of them are TINY. I'm glad this is 1/35 scale and not smaller..

Got the turrets periscopes built two of them- also the turret is ready for a bit of primer and then some white(*) before painting all the sticky out bits. I guess the White would of been gloss, or am I totally off whack. Then the radio set needs paint plus a few odds and sods. Then I can close the turret and move on to the out side again....

Picture time.

View attachment 40040 View attachment 40042 View attachment 40041

Picture one: find the kit part.

more tomorrow

Ian M

View attachment 43828

View attachment 43829

View attachment 43830

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

D

dubster72

Haha reminds me of building my Dragon T-34 Ian! Many's the time I muttered " where's that pesky bit gone? " only to realise it had stuck to a finger!

Having said that, I do love a detailed kit & this looks like being a good 'un!

How much was it?

Keep the piccys coming!

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Haha reminds me of building my Dragon T-34 Ian! Many's the time I muttered " where's that pesky bit gone? " only to realise it had stuck to a finger!Having said that, I do love a detailed kit & this looks like being a good 'un!

How much was it?

Keep the piccys coming!

Patrick
Cant remember the actual price as I brought it at a show together with a pile of other bits but I do know I got it for a good price. The seller was from Sweden and the show was in Denmark and he rounded down with a generous hand!! :smiling: I think I got the tank and a set of Bronco tracks for about £25 in all. A quick look in Hannants web shop shows £34.

Also Mini art have all the Valentines from the Mk I though to the mkVI. They do a Bishop as well I believe.

Ian M

D

dubster72

That was very reasonable of the seller! Even £34 isn't bad when compared with Dragon stuff. I've got a 1/25 Jagdpanther coming, but after that it'll be something British, either one or these or a Comet.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's one great cammo Ian. I will be watching this come together and look forward to seeing the paintwork.

Patrick, that's a coincidence. I've picked up a 1/25 Academy Jagdpanther recently in a retail shop for £16...well pleased!

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

Ron,

I'm sure you'll finish your JP before me, although it'd be interesting doing a ' side-by-side build! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well while you have been talking jagdpanther I have been sticking stuff together.

Some of the bits are not the most photo friendly, so not the best pictures, OK you can see what they are s'posed to be and not how badly they are built/painted.

This is what I have done today between watching the Blue tits going to town on their feeders out side in the snow.

View attachment 40081 first up is the picture of the boogies I forgot to post yesterday...

View attachment 40082 Her are a few of the paint now stick later bits. The Radio set and the Exhaust are just about ready, the box on the left has yet to make the transformation to some thing resembling wood.

View attachment 40083 And here is the Radio box with the grill fitted. Its not that easy to see in the photo but its there.

View attachment 40075 View attachment 40074 View attachment 40076 The two sides, the rear and the front of the turret painted and stuck together and one with the radio in place. Which I nearly forgot to put in before nailing the lid on.... :confused:

View attachment 40079 View attachment 40078 View attachment 40077 View attachment 40080

With the lid on you can just about see the internal gubbins lurking within the turret. As you can also see, this particular tank was armed with that most formidable weapon the 4" wooden pole...

View attachment 40073 A quick over view... yea! It still looks like a tank, Phew!

Ian M

View attachment 43861

View attachment 43862

View attachment 43863

View attachment 43864

View attachment 43865

View attachment 43866

View attachment 43867

View attachment 43868

View attachment 43869

View attachment 43870

View attachment 43871

01 The Hull 2.jpg

04 turret.jpg

05 turret.jpg

06 turret.jpg

07 turret.jpg

08 turret.jpg

09 turret.jpg

10 turret.jpg

Boogies.jpg

Radio 1.jpg

Radio 2.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Ian. Yes the formidable 4" wooden pole is better known for its splinter shot ( coat time i think )

D

dubster72

Hehe sorry for almost hijacking your thread Ian!

This is coming along very well, the radio is very detailed & I love the exhaust. This one will reward careful painting & weathering, but I'm sure you'll do your usual highclass job.

How are you thinking of doing the camo? Perhaps a sandy basecoat & masks for green? Can't wait for the rest!

At least that's a high velocity wooden pole! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been having nightmares about that part Patrick.

The real thing was painted the base colour, then some poor bugger got given a tin of paint and a brush and told to get on with it. As to thia being the way to go??

I have considered freehanding the stripy pattern then laying white tac over that, then spray the sandy colour over that. Light over dark though so might not work to well....

Spray it sand colour then cut loads of masks out of tape and place them on and paint the stripes..... Aghhhh!+!?

As the original where painted with a brush and hard edged, I guess thats the way to go but I'm open to suggestions.

Ian M

S

sprayman

I have enjoyed reading this and what a great kit, and spot on job your doing.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, sorry from me too for the thread hi-jack.

Here's a way to do your 'squiggles'. I used this method for the awkward cammo. on my 1/72 Balkans Bf109......

It's reasonably easy and quick.

Get a 2H pencil (or harder) lightly mark where you want the lines.

You will need a flat / Chisel headed brush the same width as the cammo. lines.

You will only get one chance at it 'cos it's impossible to go over the lines exactly a second time. So in one go, paint your lines, keeping the brush as close to the centre of the pencil line as you can.

To achieve the different thicknesses of the lines as in the picture, twist the flat head brush as you go and use the edge, then twist back for a wider spread.....Rather like doing Italic lettering.

Because a pencil is used, the paint will easily obliterate the guide lines. Have a practice first!

Also, if you use white tac, you might end up with a soft edge, whereas, as you point out, it should be hard......Looks like the brush fella!

Best of luck whatever method you decide on.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: