Miniature sailing ships

W

Windjammer

Good morning everyone,

For many years I have been building miniature ship models, both sail and steam. I wonder if this fascinating facet of the hobby is dying out as I know of only a couple of other miniaturists. You can see some of my models in the "models" section of www.merchantnavyofficers.com They are no longer in my possession, so I am not trying to sell them. Neither do I take private commissions. Any other miniaturists out there?

Regards

Windjammer

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum Windjammer, have you got any direct links to your work? I've found a few on there and the craftsmanship is outstanding.

A

adzam

absolutely stunning !

i could do with a small dose of the time and dedication that is req`d for some of those models .

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
After talking to Windjammer he has told me that he has an ebook for anyone that's interested in making these sort of ships, attachment 1 is a brief description of what you can find in the book, and attachment 2 is one of his latest works, Jacqueline French barque.

The cost of the e-book on CD is only £6, you can contact Windjammer (Rob) either by emailing him at guax@fsmail.net or sending him a PM through the forum.

Normally I don't like people advertising on the forum as this is ment to be a hobby not a business, but Windjammer didn't ask if he could, I asked him if he would mind if I posted about it, as I feel what he does is an art and it should not die out in favor of kits, and also charging £6 for his CD he is not trying to make a living out of it just be compensated for his time.

View attachment 6820

View attachment 6819

/monthly_2004_03/57272b6a98189_Jacqueline2.jpg.1ecfae6e821e0b57d9c8f41554edfeb0.jpg

/monthly_2004_03/ebook.jpg.360bc11e2ef77f884e836d4f0774a9f8.jpg

View attachment 11368

View attachment 11369

View attachment 11389

View attachment 11390

View attachment 11422

View attachment 11423

View attachment 11443

View attachment 11444

View attachment 11464

View attachment 11465

View attachment 12114

View attachment 12115

View attachment 124640

View attachment 124641

D

duncan

Great Work Windjammer, Check out www.modelship.info/debrisfield/articles . Mostly kit bashing but definitly master modellers among them. Ocean liners mainly but a great wealth of information and research available. I`m sure they would welcome more "merchant" input. Do you know of Phil Warren`s "matchstick fleet"? Mainly Grey Funnel Line but your scale. Dont think he has a web-site but Model Boats Magazine could put you in touch. He is based in S.W. England. Regards Duncan (at the other end of the scale, ie 1/24th scale Invincible)

Last edited:
W

Windjammer

Hi Duncan,

Thanks your comments. Yes, I look in debris field occasionally. I have heard of Phil Warrens matchstick fleet and have seen various articles, all good stuff. I seldom do warships, but have completed miniatures of H.M.S. DREADNOUGHT (1906) and heavy crusier H.M.S. NORFOLK, it made a pleasant change.

Regards

Windjammer

M

muari

Good morning everyone,For many years I have been building miniature ship models, both sail and steam. I wonder if this fascinating facet of the hobby is dying out as I know of only a couple of other miniaturists. You can see some of my models in the "models" section of www.merchantnavyofficers.com They are no longer in my possession, so I am not trying to sell them. Neither do I take private commissions. Any other miniaturists out there?

Regards

Windjammer
Hi - I noticed your name and thought you might be interested in a couple of items I noticed for sale on eBay - they are Volume 1 and 2 of Last of the Windjammers by Basil Lubbock - thought if might be of interest to you! The links are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2237&item=4538626712&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2237&item=4538627238&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I think there's only 20 minutes left though!