Mirage Hobby 1/350 HMS Spiraea - Flower Class Corvette

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've stalled on my Golden Hind - I can't get round to finish the decals.............
Anyway, I've decided to start another floaty thing:

Mirage Spiraea.jpg
These Mirage models are hard to come by - they aren't expensive, but there doesn't seem to be a UK distibutor. There are several other Flower Class in the range - this one has PE parts with it.

Sprue shots
DSCF1773.JPGDSCF1774.JPGDSCF1775.JPG
There are quite a lot of tiny parts, and the sprue attachment points are rather chunky, luckily there doesn't seem to be any flash.

DSCF1776.JPG
Decals rather disappointing, as the Spiraea had coloured bands around it's funnel, which I thought would be included
DSCF1777.JPG

The instructions aren't that good - they're annotated computer renders, which aren't printed in high quality ( unlike the colour profiles ), but I dare say I'll manage.
The Flower Class have been modelled pretty well: in 1/72 by Revell ( ex Matchbox ) and 1/144 as well - and a number of 1/700 resin kits.
Spiraea is more commonly known as 'Meadowsweets' - so many of these Flower Class corvettes were built, some of the names are pretty obscure!
As is my fad at the moment, I'm going to waterline this, with perhaps a rough sea - it's only small, about 180mm long, so it'd be easy to over do it. I won't need any of my MDF bases for this - plastic card will be rigid enough.
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to seeing this go together cos i keep looking at these mirage hobby flowers, but keep chickening out lol

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, this looks interesting. I've not come across a Flower class corvette in 1/350 scale and also the brand so I'll get chair and sit for this if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've had a bit of a browse of pictures of the Flowers at sea...............................
flower sea 01.jpgflower sea 02.jpgflower sea 03.jpgflower sea 04.jpg
These are all later Flowers ( mast aft of the bridge ), but same hull form.
Some ideas there - even if some are a little too dramatic!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave, this looks interesting. I've not come across a Flower class corvette in 1/350 scale and also the brand so I'll get chair and sit for this if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
Mirage Hobby can't be a big model company, and their availability is very patchy - they make 4 Flower Class Corvettes & a few U-boats in 1/350 ( also some Polish torpedo boats ). They do make some interesting models in 1/400 ( why the difference in scale, I don't know ) - Pauk & Tarantul Class modern corvettes - Polish WWII destroyers, and USN 4-piper destroyers in various guises ( Airfix reboxed two of these, St Albans & Montgomery ). Mirage also produce 1/35 AFV, 1/72 & 1/48 aircraft - all with a strong Polish flavour! From the few I've seen, quality can be variable, but the ships look OK
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I've not come across Mirage models before. I like that first reference photo.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've seen the two US Four stackers by Airfix at the LHS and I think they're still there. Might just get one of them since I liked the old HMS Campbeltown.
Dave, the images of the corvettes are great. These corvettes were unsuited for high seas with their curved keel making them roll all over and uncomfortable for the crews but they established themselves well in the conflict in the Atlantic.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They are some great images Dave. Not sure I’d want to serve in one of those ships though, an attack of seasickness could prove terminal :money-face:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
They are some great images Dave. Not sure I’d want to serve in one of those ships though, an attack of seasickness could prove terminal :money-face:
Tim,
the corvettes were crewed almost exclusively by 'hostilities only' the officers, as well, maybe having a reservist as skipper ( As in 'The Cruel Sea' classic book & film ). 294 Flower class were built - based on a pre-war whale catcher! They were slow & lightly armed, but could be built quickly in commercial yards. They saw service with many navies, including the USN, both during & after the war.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
I’ve both read and watched the cruel sea many times. Fantastic as both a book and a film. One day I might build one of these as Compass Rose! Never realised they were hostilities only crewed though, that makes the seasickness even worse…..imagine sailing through North Atlantic winter in one of these as your first commission! I don't get seasick as a rule, but wouldn’t want to test myself in one of those images!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
I’ve both read and watched the cruel sea many times. Fantastic as both a book and a film. One day I might build one of these as Compass Rose! Never realised they were hostilities only crewed though, that makes the seasickness even worse…..imagine sailing through North Atlantic winter in one of these as your first commission! I don't get seasick as a rule, but wouldn’t want to test myself in one of those images!
Tim,
In my time in the MN, I was never seasick! ( though through booze - OK ). I'm not so sure about something so small, though. I've experienced Force 11 in the Atlantic - for several days, and the main bad feature is tiredness, you can't sleep properly, you have to use one hand to hold on, and no hot food ( other than drinks ), as it was far too dangerous to use ranges. Everything loose had to be lashed down & checked regularly - we had to reduce speed - to minimise wave effect ( and the propeller racing! ), in the engine room, it was just clinging on and doing the minimu needed to keep everything going - Ah - Happy Days!!!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction begins - some careful clean up needed, some nasty ejector pin marks ( luckily proud ). The plastic is rather soft................
DSCF1778.JPG
Just a few bits of filler on the deck edge & under the stern - otherwise fit is OK

I knocked up a base from plastic card - it's only a short model, so there won't be any problems with the base flexing.
DSCF1780.JPG
The hull itself has some detail....................
DSCF1779.JPG
I've read somewhere that the portholes were permanently welded shut on some ships - but otherwise deadlights would be in place when the ship was at sea ( a metal plate that backed up the glass port ).
Next, I'll mark up the hull with masking tape to give a waterline, this'll take a bit of thinking about, as I don't want the deck to lie parallel to the base.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit of careful razor saw work, and a bit of sanding
DSCF1781.JPG
It's not that apparent, but the bows are up. In 1/350 a 4.5m wave ( 15ft ) is 13mm, so I think the slight angle will be sufficient. I may paint the hull, before attaching it to the base - the Western Approaches camo may be easier to do off hand......
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great start, Dave.

When I did my Revell 1/144 Corvette trashing a U. Boat, I built a rough sea too, so I'm very interested in how you go about the construction of your 'agitated' sea.

All looking good.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great start, Dave.

When I did my Revell 1/144 Corvette trashing a U. Boat, I built a rough sea too, so I'm very interested in how you go about the construction of your 'agitated' sea.

All looking good.....
Ron,
it's not going to be too agitated, more like an Atlantic swell! Unless you're in a storm, the waves don't have a breaking crest - the ship's bows rise, there's a drop in the engine revs - a pause at the wave crest, where everything levels, out the engine revs increase as the propeller nears the surface, the bows drop. the engine revs gradually drop to normal, before starting all over again. This assumes the ship is headed into the waves. The wavelength of the swells & height dictate how comfortable it is. This is deep sea, as soon as you cross the continental shelf, the wavelength shortens & waves start to break. If you're heading at an angle to the waves, you get 'corkscrew' motion, very unpleasant. A following sea produces the worst effects, you get extremely bad vibrations in the stern ( You had to inspect the steering gear every watch & it just abut shook your fillings out, nasty ). I'm just going to do a simple heading into the swell!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You're telling me! Lol.....
Nothing on your scale, but in my sailing days, I wandered around the U.K. coast getting s**t scared (At times) and criss crossing my home waters, The Irish Sea, in sometimes very nasty conditions, to reach my 'home port'.....And lived to tell the tale!

However you will be modelling her, I'm sure it will be up to the excellent standards of your previous seas.....

Ron

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Did I mention the instructions are poor? - well, they are! The colour profiles are nice & even quote the Admiralty Letters for the colours, MS 4, MS 4a & Pb 10 - you have to research elsewhere to find out what colours they actually are! As to the deck, and other details - that's it, you're on your own! I've looked at the instructions for the Revell 1/72 HMS Snowberry & they reckon the decks are dark grey, which sounds about right! I'll be using the Revell instructions as reference for the detail colours ( never thought I'd say that! ). Just priming & hull painting today, nothing exciting................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You're telling me! Lol.....
Nothing on your scale, but in my sailing days, I wandered around the U.K. coast getting s**t scared (At times) and criss crossing my home waters, The Irish Sea, in sometimes very nasty conditions, to reach my 'home port'.....And lived to tell the tale!

However you will be modelling her, I'm sure it will be up to the excellent standards of your previous seas.....

Ron
Ron,
In my late teens, I did a bit of dinghy racing ( Wayfarers ), mainly in the Solent - throughout the year! I finally saw the light, after capsizing 3 times in a race in March, and having to stand fully clothed under a shower, until I could get my hands to work. After that - a nice cabin & a good reliable diesel was my aim!
Dave