Model Making Virgin

DaveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all, just joined. My name is Dave, 62 from Kent. Never made a model in my adult life. Just bought a Tamiya Honda CB750F 1/12 scale. Just looked at the instructions but they tell me a lot as I have never done a model. So I think you might have to be gentle with me because I probably be asking a lot of stupid questions. Any advice members could give would be very much appreciated. All the best Dave.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome dave and as they say we all have to start somewhere and yes no question is to stupid and we definitely don't bite in fact you will probably need a good sense of humour

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do I have to register again to access the shop?
The Scale Model Shop is a separate web site from this forum, even though they’re owned by the same person. So yes, you need to register separately at the shop site if you want to buy something there.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The Scale Model Shop is a separate web site from this forum, even though they’re owned by the same person. So yes, you need to register separately at the shop site if you want to buy something there.
WELL Jakko i dint when i bought stuff off john or has the rules changed ?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave. A warm welcome to the best forum around.
We were all newcomers to the hobby at one time. As for advice - just take your time, dry fit the parts thoroughly before glueing, read the instructions a few times and above all HAVE FUN!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Study the instructions carefully, take your time, test fit the parts to be joined before committing to using glue, which should be used sparingly, allow time for sub assemblies to dry or cure before advancing with the construction, but most of all, it's supposed to be fun and rewarding, if it becomes stressful or annoying, and it will, go do something else for a while and return with renewed enthusiasm!

First job, get a nice cup of tea/coffee/beer and research your subject, sit and study the instructions and work out what tools and paints etc you'll need for the task.

Any problems, just ask, the knowledge base here is vast and comprehensive!

Miko (modelling philosopher!)