Model Making Virgin

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
No question is ever stupid, guaranteed. So, never be afraid to ask, and don't worry that the replies may make you go 'well, THAT was obvious, now I think about it'

Oh, and you may be just in time for the racing vehicle group build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum. The only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask!
@boatman You can purchase from the shop without logging in but then I think you can't use your discount code... I maybe wrong as I have not used the shop since the import issues started.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
@boatman You can purchase from the shop without logging in but then I think you can't use your discount code... I maybe wrong as I have not used the shop since the import issues started.
OK Ian but it was a few yrs ago when i bought a load of brass bits for my tigers mast an i just contackted john an bought the brass an my transaction went through ok but you may be right as i cant remember if i got discount so it may be worth finding out ?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is correct. These days I always purchase without logging in and using PayPal.

I realise that I don’t get or use discount vouchers but I have had endless problems logging in since a forum change some years ago. Got fed up with asking John for help with it and now don’t bother.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave, welcome. You've already had some useful advice about how to start on your model.

I'd suggest you think carefully about where you're going to model, and what with?

Have you got a dedicated space to work in? It's much easier if you don't have to clear everything away after each session. It also means you may be able to customise your space to improve your experience of modelmaking - for example, by improving the lighting and ensuring you are sitting comfortably! But there are quite a few folks on here who produce great results working at the kitchen table, so it certainly can be done that way too.

You will also need some tools - not many, but you do need some! Your best bet would be to tell us what your situation is (perhaps a couple of photos of your workspace?) before you begin, and we can make suggestions about how to ensure you hit the ground running.

Good luck!
Paul

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good advise there Miko and Paul.

Welcome Dave, looks like help is already at hand before the questioning begins. That's what I like about this forum. It gets even better once tha banter starts.

Cheers,
  • Richard aka Wabble

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
David,
welcome to the forum. If it's your first model, take it slowly - any problems? - post a question, and you'll be sure of an answer. Between all the forum members, we have hundreds of years of modelmaking experience, and someone will have the solution!
Dave

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome aboard!

This is a great site, when I first joined I asked a few questions, but then I found most queries I asked had been answered previously, so using the search function is a great tool.

Del

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Between all the forum members, we have hundreds of years of model making experience, and someone will have the solution!

That's counter intuitively true!! I feel a bit ancient now! Ha!

Miko (because the way our body metabolizes, over ninety percent of our self is less than ten years old, which goes a long way to explain the behavior of the average modeler! Ha!)

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks to everyone so far, Paul in Kendal, I have a 4m x 3m shed with a 3m x 6oomm kitchen worktop in it.
Sounds perfect! How about lighting and seating? For me, tip-top lighting is a must. And I have an office chair, because I'm constantly altering the seat height, depending on what I'm doing.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Sounds perfect! How about lighting and seating? For me, tip-top lighting is a must. And I have an office chair, because I'm constantly altering the seat height, depending on what I'm doing.

Yep, good quality lighting is essential for me for sure

Miko (amazing how light perception changes with advancing age)