Model scales: pros, cons, and personal preferences

F

Flyermay

Since I began building aircraft models again a few months ago, I've been going back and forth in regards to the scale; mainly between 1/32 and 1/48. At the beginning I thought the bigger the nicer, and 1/32 seemed to result in a good size for most planes that interest me -WWII fighters- and are easy to get at a good price. But now, after having built half a dozen, I realised that I'll run out of space in my stands pretty soon, if I continue with the 1/32, and that this scale might be a bit too big.

Apart from space for displaying models, I also considered that it might have not been the best idea to start again this hobby with the 1/32. I mean, now that I realised there's still a lot that I need to learn, and that it also takes a good deal of practice, it might have been better to start with the cheaper smaller scales, and go bigger as I get better.

Then there's also the issue of the number of parts on each kit; I like to work for as long as possible on each model, so this was also a decisive factor. For example: once I settle on the plane I want to build, I look for the brand and kit with the highest number or parts; practically disregarding everything else, except price. Of course, usually, the bigger the scale, the more parts the kit will have; so I tend to go again with 1/32 for this reason.

Anyway, I realise this is a simple matter of personal preferences, but I would really like to know which scale you guys prefer, why, and what factors do you consider before deciding. It's more curiosity than looking for help or tips on what I should buy.

Last edited:
P

phikoleoputra

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. My main interest is modern jets and mostly 1/48 scale. As the time goes on sometimes I also build 1/35 AFV even 1/48 AFV just for fun if I got bored with modern jets. 

Cheers

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Adam I have a really broad spectrum of what I like to build (apart from planes I don't tend to do them as I'm rubbish at them) because I have a wide variety of subject I have a wide spectrum of scales, although the bigger the scale is generally the way I go, incidentally I wouldn't use part count as a guide to detail as some kits are poorly engineered and mould 5 parts for an assembly when they could have done a better job with 1.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
For me its more about the subject or the kit , the scale very rarely makes a difference. I tend to build mainly aircraft but in all scales. For example my last four builds have been from the huge -1/48 b58 hustler , to a couple of smaller 1/48 s - f100 and chengdu j10 , to a 1/144 sopwith pup , and the next to be finished is 1/72! So im all over the place really

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Like Ken I have a varied taste in model making, and like Ken, I don't do aircraft, just cannot get on with them. I used to like the smaller scales but as I have gotten older, illness and failing eyes have meant a jump in scales. Unless you are super good at model making and have excellent co-ordination and eyesight I think the larger scales also offer more scope in weathering. 

As you have said it is a personal preference but, again you're spot on-space is also a factor when choosing-I have had to downsize my model collection as I just have nowhere to put them-especially as my latest projects are 1/16!

Sometimes I find more parts isn't always better and lesser parted models can give a very satisfying and relaxing build. 

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I also build 1/32, almost exclusivelty and WW2 subjects.  For me it is the quality of the kit and I read reviews and go for the best one of the subject (Google to find reviews).  Sometimes the choice is limited for a particular subject but where there  a choice then there is a real hierarchy.   Tamiya are no 1 for all their subjects, Spitfire, Mustang, Zero, Mosquito, Corsair.  HK Models are great with some novel engineering, currently building their Mossie but I also have the superb Tamiya Mossie in the stash.   HK Models do a lot of larger aircraft with a sub B17 and a Lancaster soon to be released.  Hasegawa are good but a lot simpler builds.  Zuki Mura are excellent but also with a novel appoach to engineering.

You highlight a problem though - display space.....  I recon I can display abouit 20 models in my set-up at a time and I have just disposed of a lot of builds to make space for more, given them away to a school for its museum, its a military school.    The stash is now all Tamiya to work thought, 9 klits in all with the HKM Mossie on the bench.  For me its all in the build, painting and weathering, I am not bothered about keeping them long-term.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Have to agree with si and ken , a high number of parts doesnt necessarily make a great , enjoyable build . Some of my most enjoyable builds have had a small parts count , in fact i did one last year that only had eleven !! Cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Adam,. Display space is a problem for me and I settled on 1/48 for most of my kits (mainly wwIi aircraft) as a good balance between size and detail.

no of parts is not an issue for me I tend to pick a subject and then look around for a good kit for the subject.

F

Flyermay

Thank you for all  your replies.

Regarding the number of parts I noticed in the last kit I'm building (the Trumpeter P-51 in my avatar) that some parts were split for no reason, another lot are optional, and even some are not used at all. I don't care that much about the unused parts, but the fact that they split parts to increase the number on purpose anoyed me a bit, instead of making it more enyoiable; specially with some very small parts that could (should) had been together, as they belong to the same component. This issue made me look more into it before buying any particular kit just because it has more parts.

G

GazB

1/72 for me for aircraft. - so I can display more and I can also get some of the really big stuff which is unavailable in other scales.

First Name
Gwyn
Anything but 1/72, it's an age thing. Much too fiddly. 

F

Flyermay

Last month I bought my first 1/72. It's a B-17 though, so, as other mentioned above, scale is relative to each subject, e.g. the 1/72 bombers are more or less as big as the 1/32 fighters.

Space is also going to force me pretty soon to go smaller. It bothers me a bit, because I would had preferred to start with the small ones, get better at it, and then do better jobs with the big ones –my favourite WWII fighters-. Instead, I'm going to end up with the best jobs less noticeable at 1/48 or even 1/72, while my worst jobs get more attention.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
like a few others my tastes are varied

aircraft have always been 1/72 which is more for nostalgias sake cos thats what i was brought up with ..........ive always thought of 1/48 as some weird american scale but im warming to it for aircraft, i guess cos its a bit easier.....but then again theres 1/32 and 1/144 planes in the stash lol

military is 1/35 or braille scale...........ive always like braille scale, probably again due to what was around when i was a kid.....and again i think of 1/48 as a weird scale, tried a few vehicles in it and im not too keen

cars are 1/24 and bikes are 1/12......they are both givens

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thinking  about this we all build for different reasons and enjoy different aspects...

Do you build, primarily, for the build/painting/weathering experience?

Is your preference to admire the models built?

Perhaps a bit of each.....If so how long do you intend to keep built models, forever more or a year or two.  If forever more then space will one day become an issue, whatever scale in which you build.

Personally I most enjoy the painting/weathering/finishing stage and like to keep on improving and trying different methods and materials.

I do like having my models on display but now in my new home I have less display space, though a bigger modelling area and more storage space.  Consequently I will cycle my models through the display and storage areas and when I run out of space have a big clear out of the models I am less pleased with or less bothered about displaying.

I like 1/32 aircraft for a number of reasons, the size impact when viewing them, the way you can really appreciate the subject in a way you cannot in small scales, the sheer quality of the kits available and how it is 1/32 where all the most exciting developments have been taking place.  The fact that I cannot display as many is not an issue, I will have my photos after I have disposed of them....

There is one place for displaying models that I have not yet explored....   the walls.  The 1/32 HK Models B17 has a wall mount meaning a completed model an be fixed to my garage wall.....   I am considering their forthcoming Lancaster but if they bring out a Halifax, I will certainly be building a 'heavy' in 1/32 regardless of the 39 inch wingspan.   Now if they bring out a 1/32 Sunderland - I am wondering if the wall mount works on the ceiling.  Once I have built one 'heavy' in 1/32 I am sure I will build more even if I can only display two on the walls.....  As I said its the build/painting/weathering not the displaying thats important.  I wonder if the school museum can take a 1/32 'heavy' or few.....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry to interrupt your thread Alan .....

Barry: When you say "wall mount", is this some method of fixing aircraft flat to the wall? I had thought of this many moons ago but couldn't see a way of doing it other than making a long hook to support the wings or some ribbon fixed in a loop to go over the wings - I hadn't got to the stage of gluing the wheels to the wall!

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I build mainly in 1/35 AFV with the odd dabble at 1/48  , i currently have 4 display cases for my models ,but storage is a problem for all modellers eventually , i have noticed that my model out put has slowed as i am trying for quality of finish over quantity .

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thinking  about this we all build for different reasons and enjoy different aspects...

I couldn't agree more with Barry's point above. I think when discussing scale preferences it inevitably follows on to what you will do with your models once they are complete.

More and more of my thoughts about a build now go on how this will be displayed. I'm coming round to the idea that less is more because we all have limited space in which to display them. My own preference is for larger scales - 1/32 aircraft and 1/35, (even 1/16!) armour. In this way I hope to put more detail into the one model.

But I'm also giving thought to better, more creative and more practical ways to display them. In this way i hope to diplay them in the home so that they are both safe and add to the decor (like they belong).

And Barry, I too will be buying the HK Lanc and that will be another display challenge!

Thanks

Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

Barry: When you say "wall mount", is this some method of fixing aircraft flat to the wall? I had thought of this many moons ago but couldn't see a way of doing it other than making a long hook to support the wings or some ribbon fixed in a loop to go over the wings - I hadn't got to the stage of gluing the wheels to the wall!

I too looked into this Dave, the way I could see it and be tidy, was to have a plaque or frame and the model attached via a support tube. I have seen some purpose built plastic fastenings that I guy did to put his diecast F1 cars on the wall...damned if I can find it now...maybe I dreamt it. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

With the B17 it has a jig that slots into the bomb bay and mounts onto the wall, flat as you put it Gern.  Below is a link to a review that shows the wall mount.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939373-b-17fg-flying-fortress-132-hk-models/